Special Times Strut: Rio Edition

ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
edited October 2011 in Strut Central
Wife and I are going to Brazil for two weeks today (work-r + vacay). Last week is all relaxation in Rio. This is basically our last run before our new life as parental units (baby due around Xmas!).

Plaese to recommend stunning places, incredible meals, etc in Rio. Just the upper shelf stuff. Life changing moments. Only things requiring superlatives.

Thanks!

Comments

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I really loved hanging out at Lapa.

Fridays there are really great for partying. Tons of people in the streets.. Lots of different choices everywhere, but the cover for a lot of the clubs is a little high. I was always running out of money here.. So.. you can really do a lot of Bar Hopping.... but it'll cost you. I found a lot of fun places with less expensive door charges when you head closer to the Lapa steps.

As far as Drinking.. Get your Caipirinha's from the street vendors.. They're much better than at any of the bars. Much more alcohol... As far as eating.. the Street foods are crazy bring a dictionary or somebody who knows whatsup... I didn't like the upper scale samba clubs so much, but the baile funk partys are like very watered down versions... the REAL baile funk partys are in the favelas.

I made good friends with the guys at Books Hostel.. that was a real good inexpensive place to stay. There's a record store right on the corner too.

- spidey

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    Rio is super chill. I'm pretty much just about chillin' on Copacabana or Ipanema. Checking out Lapa at night is a must (I guess it's a Fri. that is good from the post above).

Eat acai (With a bit of granola on top) on the beach or the food stands across Rio every chance you get.

If you want to see Rio. I recommend Roger Rio. We rented an apartment from him (On the suggestion from someone) and I'm glad we did. The apt we got was amazing being 30 seconds from the beach. But his personal tours were great. It's a little more expensive than doing a tour group, but 100% worth it IMO. Knew everywhere, knew everyone and knew everything.

http://www.rogerrio.com/en/

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    Thank you for all your suggestions, Spidey/DOR. We will check out Lapa and we're actually still looking for a spot to stay, so I will get at ROGER RIO.

Any recommendations for a spot to see good live music (not DJs)? Any style; the weirder the better.

Any specific restos?

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g303506-d1222986-Reviews-Hostel_Jucati-Rio_de_Janeiro_State_of_Rio_de_Janeiro.html

by chance, ended up stayed here a couple days while in rio. i was pleasantly surprised as it wasn't anything like a hostel i've previously stayed during my visit. it was more set up like a hotel / apartment stay. my apartment was big enough to house 4 people, having 2 rooms with fans, a nice bathroom, a furnished kitchenette with stove and refrigerator. there was also TV and internet (net pay per minute, using their computers, or pay per day for wireless set up throughout the building). staff were friendly and spoke english, spanish, french, and other languages.

i can't remember what train station it's by but it's in copacabana. it's about a 10 minute walk to the beach, which right down the street. what's more convenient is that there's a lot of shops, grocery stores, restaurants, bars, etc. in the area that are open late. probably the best perk was the park across the street. i think on wednesdays there's a farmers market that sets up shop with all kinds of fresh fruits, vegetables, fish, meats, and such.

i went with intention of keeping a budget and traveling on the cheap. i figure i just need a place to sleep / shower and keep my things safe since i planned on being out most of the time. previous spots i stayed at in rio were pretty crappy compared to this. i was grateful for the amenities and cleanliness of jucati as it ended up raining a chunk of my stay, having me cooped up indoors.

when i go back, i'll most likely stay here again.

• esskayesskay 221 Posts
    I was in Rio & Salvador 6 years ago-amazing trip! This guy was playing a small gig when I was in Rio but duh never checked it-mad regrets

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edu_Lobo