Skull Snaps Price Check?

major_briggsmajor_briggs 13 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
What is this record selling for these days? I have not seen an OG on ebay for a long time.

Comments

• $2-$300 for a mint copy.

dave

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Anyone have a copy for me?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    FAH
    FEELION

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    A HREF=http://popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?searchtext=skull+snaps&x=0&y=0>IMG SRC=http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pc.gif BORDER=0 HEIGHT=200>/A>

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    popsike.com

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts

That's the Itaian issue which don't sell for as much as the US. So that's probably a nice overprice.

I would like to check out the Italian issue to check if the sound is better because it's pretty good on the US issue. I have an idea that it's just some bullshit he is saying to sell it because it's usually the US issue that's most indemand.

• Very interesting, highest price on popsike was italian issue , but ebay is even different ....

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts
    Very interesting, highest price on popsike was italian issue , but ebay is even different ....

I also found out after writing my message. GSF was a US label right? So you think that the US issue would sell for more. That's usually how it goes.

• That's the Itaian issue which don't sell for as much as the US. So that's probably a nice overprice.

I would like to check out the Italian issue to check if the sound is better because it's pretty good on the US issue. I have an idea that it's just some bullshit he is saying to sell it because it's usually the US issue that's most indemand.

I don't think the italian issue sounds better than the US one - most old italian pressings I know do not have a good sound quality.

Skullsnaps was also pressed in Venezuela as most of the GSF titles - anybody knows how the sound of this one?

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    which one is which? Can you tell the pressing by the cover or is there some other way?

• Very interesting, highest price on popsike was italian issue , but ebay is even different ....

I also found out after writing my message. GSF was a US label right? So you think that the US issue would sell for more. That's usually how it goes.

Popsike isn't a good indicator of what ebay prices are. Entries are added at the discretion of whoever runs the site. It's very random, tends to favor high prices, and doesn't take into account if the buyer actually came through with the $.

For instance (I'm guessing here) if "funk 45" or "psych" is in the title and it goes for over a few hundred $ it will get on the site. If not, it won't. A search for Lee Gagnon "Jeremie" gives a listing of the highest copies from a year ago when that title was very desirable, but not the recent copies that have gone for much less and didn't include keywords in the title. It didn't list the copy of lloyd mcneill "eliga" that I bought for $25 6 months ago, but it will probably list the copy that reynaldo is about to sell for almost 200. and so on.

• Popsike isn't a good indicator of what ebay prices are.

Popsike isn't a good indicator of what ebay prices are.

This thing can give folks a really wrong idea

Popsike isn't a good indicator of what ebay prices are. Entries are added at the discretion of whoever runs the site. It's very random, tends to favor high prices, and doesn't take into account if the buyer actually came through with the $.

For instance (I'm guessing here) if "funk 45" or "psych" is in the title and it goes for over a few hundred $ it will get on the site. If not, it won't. A search for Lee Gagnon "Jeremie" gives a listing of the highest copies from a year ago when that title was very desirable, but not the recent copies that have gone for much less and didn't include keywords in the title. It didn't list the copy of lloyd mcneill "eliga" that I bought for $25 6 months ago, but it will probably list the copy that reynaldo is about to sell for almost 200. and so on.

I think popsike is a pretty good indicator of prices (on ebay). It's as good as a lot of these price books that are around. It's not perfect, misses a lot of lower auctions but in general i think it captures the general demand of a specific record. It doesn't capture the exact price but I have been keeping track of a lot of records on ebay and they correlate roughly the same. ONe problem though is it doesn't go before 2003.
    Now whether the prices on ebay are a good indicator is another question.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

Co-sign. I've been tracking some assorted records since 03 on ebay and did a little search on popsike recently. If a record goes for under $30 it usually doesn't show up, plus they miss a lot of auctions even if they do go for money.

• I think popsike is a pretty good indicator of prices (on ebay). It's as good as a lot of these price books that are around. It's not perfect, misses a lot of lower auctions but in general i think it captures the general demand of a specific record. It doesn't capture the exact price but I have been keeping track of a lot of records on ebay and they correlate roughly the same. ONe problem though is it doesn't go before 2003.
    Now whether the prices on ebay are a good indicator is another question.

Well, we can agree to disagree. My problem is not with the site itself. I won't deny I check it from time to time. But the methods they used to select auctions to put in their database is very shady. They claim they can tell you "what are my records worth" but they're really not able to answer that.

If they kept a record of, say, all the auctions in the "records" sub-category, that would make more sense. Instead the people who run the site only load in auctions that meet certain (unknown to us) criteria.

Ebay is already a seller's market, and the site tends to make it worse by only listing high or out of the median sales. Especially for the real rarities that you might only see once or twice on ebay in a year, things that might go for 30 bucks or might go for 300 bucks, depending on who's paying attention.

I'm sure it's fine for pricing a copy of "headless heros". But for instance, to use lloyd mcneill again (artist du jour). There's no way for the average music consumer to know that his baobab LPs used to go for 10 or 20 bucks. So now they're up to the hyped level of his asha LPs.

• What is this record selling for these days?

This man knows it all.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    A perfect example of how skewed Popsike is to the high end of auctions is a little search I just did for the Wild Racers OST. They only list 2 auctions, one for $76, the other for $61. Those are the highest prices I've ever seen for that LP. Usually it goes in the $20-40 range, but none of those auctions appeared.

Here's the auctions I've watched for that LP

$11.50 reserve not met

$48 no bids

$48.99

$42

$31.60

$36

$22.50

$32.51

A far cry from $61 & $76.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    popsike = misleads little dudes into thinking they are holding major weight

• Options
    Where does Popsike get their revenue from? I don't recall ever seeing one ad on there. Could this be a secret venture of dealers or even eBay persuading public perception???

K.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Where does Popsike get their revenue from? I don't recall ever seeing one add on there. Could this be a secret venture of dealers or even eBay persuading public perception???

K.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts