Great new Joni Haastrup interview: Father of Afro Funk

LewisLewis Connecticut 101 Posts
edited September 2011 in Strut Central
check it out here
http://www.theworld.org/2011/09/joni-haastrup-father-of-afro-funk/

looking forward to grabbing the reissues this week...

Comments

• Just listened to this, he's a really dynamic person and a major force in Nigerian music of the 70's.

Sad to hear about his strokes, though.

A couple years ago I was going to issue the Monomono Lps, but eventually had to pass because I had too many projects going. Even more interesting was an unreleased record Joni had done between Monomono and his solo Lp. He still had the tapes and, needless to say, I was quite interested in hearing them.

During talks, though, he decided that he would issue them himself. His manager, whom I was going through, tried to talk him out of it, but to no avail. Some time passed, during which Joni went too long without paying the fees on his storage space, perhaps because of the strokes. The contents, including the unreleased masters, were sold, and now the tapes are gone...

• LewisLewis Connecticut 101 Posts
    damn, that's unfortunate about the unreleased stuff... i just hope all goes well for his new musical project. it's pretty wild that he and the band are all in Oakland.

• Horseleech said:
    Just listened to this, he's a really dynamic person and a major force in Nigerian music of the 70's.

Sad to hear about his strokes, though.

A couple years ago I was going to issue the Monomono Lps, but eventually had to pass because I had too many projects going. Even more interesting was an unreleased record Joni had done between Monomono and his solo Lp. He still had the tapes and, needless to say, I was quite interested in hearing them.

During talks, though, he decided that he would issue them himself. His manager, whom I was going through, tried to talk him out of it, but to no avail. Some time passed, during which Joni went too long without paying the fees on his storage space, perhaps because of the strokes. The contents, including the unreleased masters, were sold, and now the tapes are gone...

oooof that last line is like a punch in the stomach! fuuuuuck