how excited are you for Shadow's new album: 1 - 10 scale?

BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
edited September 2011 in Strut Central

can't say i'm giddy as a schoolgirl for it,
but i still look forward to what he does.

Comments

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts

It's been five years, so I suppose we can count on him to have come up with something creative. However, he seems like one of those types who get so absorbed into their art that the potential audience becomes an afterthought. Either way, I'm interested.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    0. I wouldn't have even bothered to post in this thread, but I realized that that is a major flaw in your methodology. Most folks that just don't care anymore won't bother to post, so my zero speaks for them.

• current SS anticipation level:

• DB_Cooper said:
    0. I wouldn't have even bothered to post in this thread, but I realized that that is a major flaw in your methodology. Most folks that just don't care anymore won't bother to post, so my zero speaks for them.

repping the silent majority since 2007

• DJ Shadow has been irrelevant since the mid-90's, and truth be told endtroducing has not aged well.

• do you guys even party?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    BallzDeep said:
    do you guys even party?

Isn't Shadow straight edge? His music is.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Excited just enough to download it.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    BallzDeep said:
    do you guys even party?

plaese to stap

• I don't really hate any of it, but I tried listening to it a second time and had no interest. My review of it is that every note is in the right place, it's all technically on point, but it just doesn't do a whole lot in terms of grabbing me musically. Its better than the outsider and probably on par with private press, but it's a different time. My hunch is that he is TOO into music, all styles, and that has resulted in him creating music that has no home base in terms of a style. It's all over the place, kind of like a non-dj mix tape, but not really working in that "wow I would have never thought of putting that song after that one" kind of way.
    Also, there seems to be more live instruments on here. Or maybe it's just next level editing. Either way, it's gone beyond the limitations of breaks and an mpc. It's to the point where there doesn't seem to be a purpose. Just start a band. I know you'd
    Never get that combo of sounds from a band and the samples generate unthinkable ideas, but it all seems odd to me at this point. There are some really long vocal samples that are close to perfect, but not perfect with all of the changes. 2011 me says "just hire a singer." I'm kind of beyond the point of listening to music that is almost right. Either be wonky and almost right, like old sampling that is confined by limitations or just hire someone to play it how you want it.
    I have utmost respect for him and his talents. I was a huge fanboy or a long time. I'm probably just too old now. It's amazing what he is able to create and I could never get close to what he does, but it's all kindnof lost on me these days. There's no "I can't believe he was able to chop third guitar like that." its been taken way beyond that and that's where it's lost me. The sources are from super digging and I just don't know how to even appreciate what he did with it, what is live, etc.

Too much blah blah blah from me.

It's waaaaay better than I expected, but I just don't think I'm the type of person that enjoys this stuff anymore.

• first three albums are great, the outsider and beyond...not really.

• If I never hear that 'Give me back the nights' song again, that would make me happy. It was interesting, but horribly depressing.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    Too much blah blah blah from me.
    I disagree. That's a really interesting, personal review. I appreciate that.

I haven't listened to The Less You Know yet, but seeing as how the only things I remember really vividly from The Outsider are 1) a baffling deference to sub-par MCs and unremarkable Emoters Of The New Sincerity, and 2) the fact that something like eight minutes of its runtime was alotted to an excruciatingly bro'ed-out rap-ologue that climaxed with the bon mot "Gotta stop fucking with these hoes off myspace, dawg," my expectations for the new jernt are, uh, not high.

And I say this as a big fan.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    he lost me @ unkle

i just hope him and cut have another dope mix left in them before the apocalypse

• im pretty much somewhere between 0 and 1
    not flat out 0 cause you never know when anyone might creat something beautiful
    nothing against him though

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    I thought The Outsider WAS album #3 ?

Featuring Talib & Pos = NAGL

• Featuring Pos, never bad, featuring Kweli, never good.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Thanks for hipping me to a new Shadow LP. That being said I'm at 6:18 minute mark and this is boring and obnoxious thus far.....

EDIT: Hit my "nope, fuck this" limit at the 16:00 minute mark. Impatient, I know...but there's too much music out there to listen to more of this....

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    From what I heard... just a few cuts on Youtube... it sounded like he was getting back to being him. That "Hyphy" inspired record was straight garbage.

• Wow, I must be the only person in the world that thought The Outsider was ok. Particularly the hyphy tracks. I'd rather listen to E-40 and Keak Da Sneak over his hyphy efforts than his recent I Gotta Rok E.P (or Entroducing for that matter).

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Shadow makes Hyphy Lite tho, or Lyphy, as in high on Lyphy.

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    To be honest Ive got no interest at all.

:weaksauce:

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    if you got some time to waste:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0154y2b

• Pistol_Pete said:

hmm...i would have cut a couple tracks off this though. this runs a bit too long for me.
    i'll probably buy 3 or 4 tracks off of it.

• plays well..but it sounds more like a band on some tracks than chopped and programmed. the song give me back the nights will get skipped everytime because some dude is yelling over the whole thing. if i wanted to hear random shouting about nothing i'd be back together with my ex.

i listen to shadow for creative sample usage. slow pianos, random sounds and hard drums. i dont want to hear talib, some chick singing, or any of that other shit. if i do have to have some singing, it better sound like six days. yes, ive placed him in a box. and this box is marked "dj (fucking) shadow"...i open it when im after a certain sound.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I gave it a listen-through. Ugh.

• I am waiting for dude's eBay feedback...he took over a week to pay and I still left him positive feedback...I mean really.

• I got to hear this yesterday and enjoyed a good deal of it.

There were some amazingly dark and sick synths on GBtN. I agree with Martin, that's a ill track.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    I am waiting for dude's eBay feedback...he took over a week to pay and I still left him positive feedback...I mean really.

Off topic, but who takes over a week to pay? Infinitely annoying. Then you risk negative feedback for slow shipping since you were waiting on payment. I only expect this type of behavior from old folks or kids who know no better and/or forgot their PayPal password.