Funk legend Sly Stone now homeless and living out of a van in LA

staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
edited September 2011 in Strut Central
I thought he'd just began a comeback of sorts with appearances, gigs abroad and a new cd dropping...

with some decent new stuff on it, I might add

My last thoughts on sly were good for him.

apparently not

Funk legend Sly Stone now homeless and living out of a van in LA

Comments

• ???I like my small camper,??? he says, his voice raspy with age and years of hard living. ???I just do not want to return to a fixed home. I cannot stand being in one place. I must keep moving.???

• im very thankful for a big part of his music, but he sounds like a complete asshole. but i have very little tolerance for cokeheads. van living aint that bad anyway...besides lack of shower, that shit looks hooked up

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Sad.

• LaserWolf said:
    Very Sad.

• Cocaine is a hell of a drug

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    like that guy on The X Factor that used to be in a band called Xavion

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:
    Cocaine is a hell of a drug

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    The photo of him in the fringed straight jacket holding a taser is worth a thousand words.

Sad.

• i'd be willing to live in a van and still get press as long as i could do outlandish things in huge mansions in my younger life. many hard living musicians didnt make it. this guy got to make albums, do drugs, and im sure he had many orgies.. senior citizen with tales. high five.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I'd throw him a few bones to rake my leaves.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

But I'd only pay upon completion. I bet he'd really throw himself into it though. Gotta do something with that coke energy.

I didn't get to make albums, but I did drugs and had orgies. I even did an outlandish thing or 2 in a mansions.

I am happier now, without orgies and drugs. I don't need a mansion, but I am glad I have my home.

So much for the myth that drugs make you more creative.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    I did drugs and had orgies

WHOA THERE, HOSS. Can't be dropping a casual line like that without a little elaboration.

DB_Cooper said:
    HarveyCanal said:

But I'd only pay upon completion. I bet he'd really throw himself into it though. Gotta do something with that coke energy.

He seems like the kind to rake them all up in a pile all nice, and then get mad at a look you supposedly gave him or something, only to scatter the leaves again in a fit of old school cusses as he stormed off swearing to get back at you for not paying him to merely insult you.

DB_Cooper said:
    LaserWolf said:

WHOA THERE, HOSS. Can't be dropping a casual line like that without a little elaboration.

Pics or it didn't happen.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    With all due respect, I believe you - there is no need for pictures.

If Sly is happy in the van, then I am not sad.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    bassie said:

Co-sign on both fronts. I really hope he's actually putting stuff to tape/hard drive in the van too.

HarveyCanal said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    LaserWolf said:

Pics or it didn't happen.

I have told drug stories here many times, so that's done.

Orgies, in my experience are not fun. Only the idea is fun.
    In truth I don't remember much. Drugs related.

• "A retired couple makes sure he eats once a day, and Stone showers at their house. The couple???s son serves as his assistant and driver."

Sly must be a mad hot leaf raker.

Shit's sad.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    i remember dude walkin round my nieghboorhood bitd. dude was dating my freinds mom. circa 76/77.

• the cocaine etc ravaged his fortune, but now hes battling paranoid schizophrenia (or something along those lines) and thus is unlikely to take steps back toward productivity and musical victory. whatever he is recording he is too paranoid to trust anyone with, and the entire music industry, from labels, to managers, to booking agencies, to lawyers, to promoters, know he will not deliver. thats the sad part of it all. to think where he fell from, its just tragic.

• LaserWolf said:
    I didn't get to make albums, but I did drugs and had orgies. I even did an outlandish thing or 2 in a mansions.

I am happier now, without orgies and drugs. I don't need a mansion, but I am glad I have my home.

So much for the myth that drugs make you more creative.

• ketan said:
    bassie said:

Co-sign on both fronts. I really hope he's actually putting stuff to 8-track in the van too.

Fixed.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    staxwax said:

"Exclusive - Homeless Music Legend Sly Stone Admits To Recent Drug Use"

If that's your exclusive story you don't have nothing to say
    SMH

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    This just in:

Sly Stone is NOT homeless
    By: Roger Friedman
    Rock icon Sly Stone is NOT homeless even though he???s living in a van. The New York Post story that???s caused such a sensation was paid for by the writer of the piece. I can tell you both of these truths are according to a source close to Stone. This isn???t to say that Sly???real name Sylvester Stewart???isn???t in perilous financial shape. It???s also not to say that his $50 million lawsuit against former manager Jerry Goldstein isn???t valid. I???ve been writing about Goldstein???s abuse of Stone for years???I wrote about it in the New York Post at least 15 years ago.

And Goldstein is famous for his financial problems with former clients???the group War is primary among them. But just to clarify???Sly is living in that van by his own choice. My source says that Sly???s attorney, Robert Alan, rented him a very nice home in Woodland Hills, California with four bedrooms, a pool, etc. (Alan declined to comment.) Sly just refuses to go there. Another friend tells me, ???Sly always liked living in Winnebagos. He never liked being in a house.???

Indeed, Stone is going to look at a couple of new vans this week, I???m told. And it???s not like he???s living in a beat up panel van. His accommodations are fine for what they are. ???He???s too paranoid to come inside,??? says a friend. This is the result of 40 years of drug abuse.