Looking for a song - Screamin' Jay Hawkins? Help Very Much Appreciated!

dj sportcoatdj sportcoat 3 Posts
edited September 2011 in Strut Central
Hey Guys:

First post here, and recognizing that I am potentially embarrassing myself -- but I'm DJing a Halloween party next month, and I'm going crazy trying to track this song down so I can play it. I *thought* it was by Screamin' Jay Hawkins, but that is turning out to be a bad lead. (I also thought the song was called "Dracula," but that's not working out for me, either.)

The song sounds like it dates from the mid-to-late '50s -- very "Monster Mash"y in tone. Spooky, stomping early R&B - vocalist has a deep baritone, kinda drowned in echo. I've heard the song a few times now - the hook, as best I remember it, is, "He walks down the street/ and everyone he meets he asks" -- and then comes the part I can't fully make out, but it sounds like the vocalist is saying, "Is your name blooooooooddd," in an echoed-out mega-baritone, very campy and very "spooky." The "Bloooood" is hard to make out -- he could almost be saying "Blahhh."

Anyway: I know this is scant info, but I figured I'd give it a shot. If it's not ringing any bells, I will probably end up singing it into my phone to see what that turns up...

Comments

• And the second I post it, I find it. "Jack the Ripper," by Screaming Lord Sutch. Ignore this thread. Sorry.

• You might try this one by him also:

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I guess it is getting toward that time of year, huh? Don't know if you're DJing a party, looking for background music, or whatever, but Vampires of Dartmoore is always a headphones favorite for me. Great for mood setting. Not so much for other purposes. Also, that rip sucks, but it was the first thing to pop up on a quick search.

b/w

You should introduce yourself. Best way to avoid the clonn.

• Thanks for these additional tips! Very much appreciated.

My name is Joe, I'm a super-novice DJ -- only been at it for about a year now, so a lot to learn yet. I do a night called Universal Melody - first 2 hours 'global grooves', middle section '60s R&B, last 2 hours indie/punk and garage. I play mostly vinyl, just because I prefer it. Been kind of lurking here for a while, but finally decided to post. Feel free to keep the halloween suggestions coming -- I'll even add another to the chain:

• Claudine Clark "Walking through a Cemetery"

[opportunistic]also, I have a strong VG copy (VG+ except for a small hairline not affecting play...my old DJing copy) for sale if you are interested[/opportunistic]

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    someone get dude the mike2600 remix of werewolf bar mitzvah

:necessary: