Tokyo or Osaka

FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
edited September 2011 in Strut Central
My wife and I are toying with the idea of moving to Japan for a few years.
What would be a better place to live? Tokyo or Osaka?
After speaking to a few Japanese friends, we're somehow leaning towards Osaka.

Comments

• I have a friend who lived in both cities for a year each teaching english. She says the food in Osaka is way better.

• I lived in Osaka for 3 years (left about 10 years ago) and was glad i chose it over Tokyo due to it simply being a smaller city. Proximity to Nara and Kyoto and surrounding countryside helped keep me sane as well. there are also shitloads of records shops in Osaka as well.

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    sakedelic said:
    reportees for osaka both 0 so this isnt really useful

• I think I preferred Kobe to Osaka...

• serch4beatz said:

realized shortly after posting, but "Only Moderators May Delete Posts"

• all comes down to personal taste. I prefer Tokyo, although I really liked Kobe!!

• Is your wife Japanese? If not what do you plan to do about getting a visa to live there?

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    What about the radiation? Does it not concern you?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Thanks for the input guys. This is pretty much in line with what I heard from other people. Because dogs are not allowed on trains, we will have to depend on a car for weekend getaways and it appears that Osaka would be much better in that regard. The bullet train to Tokyo takes under 3 hours so I guess I could still try and get a club night going there.

From what I understand, radiation is not an issue in Osaka. The information about Tokyo is different depending who you talk to. Some people told me their friends in Tokyo don't use tab water, check their groceries with geiger counters etc. International radiologists consider the Tokyo area to be safe but I guess this issue would be another reason to chose Osaka. The distance from Fukushima to Osaka is still about half the distance as from Chernobyl to Berlin so I don't think there's much reason to worry.

I heard nice things about Kobe and from the information I'm getting on public transportation, Kobe to Osaka would only take about the same time as the commute from Park Slope Brooklyn to midtown Manhattan. Do those trains run 24 hours?

My wife isn't Japanese but this would be for her work and visa would not be an issue.
    First we were planning on going to Central America but now the Japan possibility came up and I'm starting to think this might give me a shot at another few years to dj and then go to Latin America and retire...

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Shears said:
    I think I preferred "Kyoto" to Osaka...

• I would think an afro beat funk disco boogie night would work well in any major japanese city.
    Did you sell all your us funk 45s? Maybe it's time to fire up that party again.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I sold all my US funk 45s. I don't want to say I got tired of the sound, tired is too negative a word. It's still great music to my ears but it doesn't give me the excitement it used to. Also, there are people in Japan with better funk 45 collections than what I ever had and others frequently fly over there to dj so trying to do a US funk night in Japan would be a rather pointless thing for me to do. My bets are on putting two irons in the fire with a Nigerian Disco party and an Afrobeat night...

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Osaka if you want to have a peaceful, yet fun time.
    Tokyo if you want that big city feel with a lot going on.

Both cities are fast paced. Both have cultural elements and things you won't find in each other. Both places are beautiful in their own right. If I had to go back and live again, I'd do Osaka, but I would never trade me Tokyo experience ever. Depends on what you want out of the trip really.

I'd probably recommend Tokyo and just go hard!

B

• What I would do for me or my partner to have a job that allows us to just move to whatever part of the world seems attractive!

I lived in the countryside slightly southwest of Kyoto and northwest of Kobe for a few years and absolutely loved it. Spent my weekends in Kansai (Kobe, Osaka, Akashi) or in Kyoto, unless we went to other places. I spent most of a summer in Tokyo, and loved it as well, though I guess I liked Osaka and Kobe because I knew my way around them. The Kansai area is 15 million people, so it's not like you'd be lacking for stuff to do, and Tokyo via shinkansen is a relatively quick trip. I even remember a record and instrument shop dedicated to African music in "Amemura" in Osaka with loads of great Nigerian stuff and imported instruments.

So that's my bias, but Tokyo probably wins for the sheer amount of stuff happening.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Thanks for your input. DJ Sheep made me give Tokyo some more consideration...

• I've been in Tokyo for about 4 1/2 years and love it. There
    are lots of things happening as Sheep said and a plethora
    of record shops. The food in Tokyo is fire and if you want
    Osaka food, you can get it in Tokyo too. The crowds haven't
    bothered me that much, but adjusting your schedule to avoid
    the rush hour is a big help.

As far as the trains go, they aren't 24 hours. It's a pain in the
    ass sometimes, but overall I've got used now. Most of the
    trains stop around midnight and depending on where you live
    you can push that to 1AM but it depends if you live in central
    Tokyo or out in the burbs (the burbs runs later than the trains
    coming into central Tokyo). I'm not sure about how late
    the trains run in Kansai, but I assume its about the same.

The Shinkansen is amazingly fast and comfortable, but not sure
    I'd wanna shell out the money every weekend for a show (1 way:
    13,700 yen or $178 US)

Anyway, hope this helps.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    Sakai in osaka prefecture is the heart of knife making in Japan, some uber cool knives can be found there.

http://www.konosuke-sakai.com/

Eat till you drop!