O'Jays Family Reunion

jazzman21jazzman21 287 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
I've never been a big O'Jays fan, but this one is very nice, mellow and uplifting. Alot different from there backstabber/richer get richer stuff. Gamble & Huff continues to amaze me. Anyone else given this a listen?

Comments

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    Anyone else given this a listen?

the title cut allways trips me out, especially when he gets to breakin' down family relationships.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    classic material... I remember being at my family reunion, they played that thing maybe 653 times... I still love it though...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Jazzman, you live in Los Angeles right?

keep your eyes peeled for this O'Jays LP

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Yea, I like this LP a lot. Paul and the band play songs off it on Letterman now an then.

Super Bad is cool as well. Glad other people are upon that.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I've never been a big O'Jays fan, but this one is very nice, mellow and uplifting. Alot different from there backstabber/richer get richer stuff. Gamble & Huff continues to amaze me. Anyone else given this a listen?

The O'Jays' protest phase was pretty much over and done with, starting with this album. While they would occasionally do the uplifting message songs (like Family Reunion's title track), from this LP on they pretty much stayed off the more paranoid tunes like "Rich Get Richer."

That said, I dig positive tunes as much as the next person, but this LP never really did it for me. (Gamble & Huff's formula wearing thin?) However, you cannot argue with "I Love Music" and "Living For The Weekend."

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts

I like this album... I like alot of the O'Jay's work, even the more pop-style songs. Its more of a time and place and mood group though. I won't turn the channel if they came on.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

She's Only A Woman..............

Speaking of O'Jays.....they are currently trying to sue the label for trying to release an "unreleased songs" CD. The O'Jays say they are unreleased for a reason....they aren't that good. But of course the label owns the tracks so so far the court has taken the labels side.

• The O'Jays' protest phase was pretty much over and done with, starting with this album.

err... apart from the 'ship ahoy' album, wakey wakey, earth to visiting alien

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    ...and speaking of "Super Bad," I was all psyched when I found that record a while back, only to find out it was the same material as the O'Jays LP on UpFront that I already own...

...and speaking of "Super Bad," I was all psyched when I found that record a while back, only to find out it was the same material as the O'Jays LP on UpFront that I already own...

Isn't UpFront a repackage label like Pickwick etc? Just wonder which came first.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Isn't UpFront a repackage label like Pickwick etc? Just wonder which came first.

Yeah, alot of there LP's are really sweet, though - collections of 45's that were never on albums, etc. I am still looking for the Ohio Players one with all their Compass label material collected.

The O'Jays' protest phase was pretty much over and done with, starting with this album.

Ah, no - I meant what I said. Ain't no sleeping alien here. Ship Ahoy was BEFORE Family Reunion.

Back Stabbers(1972), Ship Ahoy(1973), and Survival(early 1975) - that was their soulful-protest trilogy right there***[/b]. Then Family Reunion(late '75) came out and they eased up on the "doomsday" lyrics.

***not counting a live album, a reissue of The O'Jays In Philadelphia, and all those rereleases of non-Gamble & Huff material, like Super Bad.[/b]

• The O'Jays' protest phase was pretty much over and done with, starting with this album.

Ah, no - I meant what I said. Ain't no sleeping alien here. Ship Ahoy was BEFORE Family Reunion.

Back Stabbers(1972), Ship Ahoy(1973), and Survival(early 1975) - that was their soulful-protest trilogy right there***[/b]. Then Family Reunion(late '75) came out and they eased up on the "doomsday" lyrics.

***not counting a live album, a reissue of The O'Jays In Philadelphia, and all those rereleases of non-Gamble & Huff material, like Super Bad.[/b]

my mistake, i misread the line, likely due to too much fine wine, no offence intended

The O'Jays' protest phase was pretty much over and done with, starting with this album.

my mistake, i misread the line, likely due to too much fine wine, no offence intended

no big thing, it's cool!

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts

the title cut allways trips me out, especially when he gets to breakin' down family relationships.

That part has been sampled by somebody. "I love Music" off that LP is nice too. Can anyone relate to the message?

Nothing to do with nothing, but as far as the O'Jays go, I always wondered why Eddie Levert and Walter Williams always got to sing, clown, ad-lib, etc. while "the third guy in the middle" did nothing 'cept sing backup...not to threadjack, but the mention of Levert's spoken interlude in "Family Reunion" reminded me of this.

(Also see: the Isley Brothers...Ronnie Isley sang, and Chroo, Ernie and Marvin played their axes, but Rudolph and O'Kelly essentially just posed for pictures, at least after 1975...you don't hear their input on any latter-day Isleys records at all.)