Behind the North Wind...psych mix

PlantweedPlantweed 394 Posts
edited September 2011 in Strut Central
I've been posting my old mixes over at Waxidermy for a while, thought I'd thrown them up here. A bunch are in the can, just waiting for cover art. Here's a psych one from 2004. The files come with PDFs ready to printed and inserted into a jewel case.

Stone Deep Vol. 1: Behind the North Wind (Cloven Devil Recordings: CDR-001, 2004)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. THE ABSTRACT TRUTH: In a Space [Silver Trees, 1970]
Don't fear the sax???the one good track on this South African prog band's record has a nice, jazzy stone to it.

2. ABUNAI!: Dreaming of Light [Universal Mind Decoder, 1997]
Couldn't get with this Boston band's vocals, but this instrumental is propulsive and full of splattering psych guitar.

3. AGITATION FREE: Laila [At the Cliffs of River Rhine, 1974/1998]
I wish I knew about this band back in the day when everyone would sit around baked listening to Pink Floyd. This woulda floored ???em. Live, floating Krautrock archival jams.

4. AGUATURBIA: Evol [Volumen 2, 1970]
Chile, 1970. An over the top hard-rockin' killer.

5. ALEXANDER "SKIP" SPENCE: War in Peace [Oar, 1969]
Of course this one has been outed since Forced Exposure reviewed the first CD reissue around 17 years ago. I think it's mostly overrated, but this song is about as stoned as it gets.

6. ARZACHEL: Queen St. Gang [Arzachel, 1969]
I think this one got known more ???cause of beat heads. Hell knows it's on enough mixes. Nevertheless, it's a cool, spacey groove with killer organ.

7. BISCUIT DAVIS: Gasoline Alley [Playing on the Moon, 1973]
Surprised more haven't picked up on this 1973 Dead knock-off. LP can be had for cheap and has some good songs, like this nice WC/rural instrumental.

8. BLACK SABBATH: Solitude [Master of Reality, 1971]
Got many a lonely teen stoner through some hard times. Still has people wondering if that's really Ozzy.

9. THE BYRDS: Change Is Now [The Notorious Byrd Brothers, 1968]
Beautiful song with an absurdly lysergic lead break, just dripping with acid. Love the angelic harmonies.

10. CHURCHILLS: When You???re Gone [Churchills, 1968]
Top shelf Israeli psych; a warm, comforting blanket of fuzz enveloped in a perfect cave of reverb.

11. DIE KREUZEN: No. 3 [Century Days, 1988]
Best use of delay pedal ever?

12. LINDA PERHACS: Parallelograms [Parallelograms, 1970]
Another one justly well-known now. Hypnotic psych folk; love the spooky breakdown.

13. LUXURIOUS BAGS: Lost Wallet [Frayed Knots, 1994]
Another record that I'm utterly baffled no one talks about. Twisted Village issued it in 1994, the last one from one-man-noise-band Tom Leonard. His earlier ones were somewhat known, but on this he coalesced all his various styles into a group of actual brilliant songs that all sound different but integrated. Should have come out on vinyl, and I hope he does another one.
http://www.mediafire.com/?2i79xd4gxqpk5d3

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    DId you intend to sequence the tracks in alphabetical order by artist?

• Yep. I like the randomness, vs. sequencing them myself.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Plantweed said:
    Yep. I like the randomness, vs. sequencing them myself.

Nice. You definitely get some changes in style and tempo that way that you normally might not. I look forward to checking it out.