Memphis tips

hiactionsghiactionsg 1 Post
edited September 2011 in Strut Central
Hey everyone, I'm relatively new to collecting. I've kind of been dipping my toes in it for the last couple of years but I've recently gotten the urge to get more into it....thanks to my good friend who is an avid soulstrut follower and collector. I've heard about digging in southern states and I'm going to be in Memphis in a couple of weeks for a quick work trip (about 2 days or so and only a small portion of time that won't be work). At this point I won't have a rental car but that may change last minute. Any suggestions for places to check out (keeping in mind the transportation and time restraints)?
I'm so into old soul, funk and jazz right now but I don't know a lot of the record labels to be looking for that will give me the cream of the crop. I'm relatively familiar with the artists to look for in the jazz category but I'm pretty green on a the funk and soul artists. Any help or direction to information is great appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Comments

• go to the Stax museum instead. eat at Ellen's (check first, make sure you're not heading to the closed location).

i don't know if you could do all the stores by public bus and it might be pretty grueling to try. if you have limited time enjoy yourself and skip the records. check the archive, it feels like this thread has been done ten times or more.

• herbacios tweed said:
    go to the Stax museum instead. eat at Ellen's (check first, make sure you're not heading to the closed location).

i don't know if you could do all the stores by public bus and it might be pretty grueling to try. if you have limited time enjoy yourself and skip the records. check the archive, it feels like this thread has been done ten times or more.

cosign on Ellens (the new location is open at the corner of Lamar and Bellevue...behind the gas station) and Stax

record wise Audio Mania and Shangri La are on the same street (Madison) and you can hoof it between the two with ease. Try to find out which bus will take you to an area of town called Overton Square and get off there...walk west on Madison about a 1/4 mile...1916 Madison is Shangri La, and Audio Mania is at Madison and Belvedere. The other shop to check out is Goner, which is in a section of town called Cooper/Young...about a mile and a half south from Overton Square.

anywhere is walking distance if you have the time!

PS. I have quite a few records for sale and live in Memphis, so if you are short of time and just want to pick up some LPs and 45s, holleur.