The Copyright Nightmare of "I Have a Dream"

DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,901 Posts
edited August 2011 in Strut Central
http://motherboard.tv/2011/8/29/the-copyright-nightmare-of-i-have-a-dream

Interesting read for anyone interested in copyright and/or MLK's "I Have a Dream" speech.

Classic House Version FTW.

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Thanks. I knew about the estates attempts to assert copyright and the 1999 suit.

I had no idea King copyrighted and enforced copyrights of speeches during his life time.

I always thought the reason those things were on so many record labels is because they lacked copyright.

My own opinion, if you are a public figure and you give a public speech, that speech and your image enter the public domain.

I think that is consistent with the constitution which says that copyright will be used "To promote the progress of science and the useful arts..."

I also think it is better for King's legacy and for King's vision, for his public speechs to be as available as possible.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I've read some articles about this in the past.

IIRC, the estate wanted to charge schools to replay the speech for students.

They also got a large payment for using his likeness in the recently unveiled MLK monument.

• I noticed that since the ruling NWA's video blurred out the phrase "I HAVE A DREAM".