CollectorsFrenzy 2.0

dark0dark0 61 Posts
edited August 2011 in Strut Central
I just wanted to announce a recent change I made to CollectorsFrenzy (which should have been done a long time ago).

I have completely rewritten my application for pulling data from EBay. Some of the changes I made to it include pulling auctions from foreign e-bay sites such as the UK, Germany, and France. I have lowered the minimum price to $15 so you will see a lot more lower priced records to give you a wider scope of records. The biggest change I made is to ensure the application doesn't experience any outages like it has in the past where it doesn't pull any auctions at all for a number of hours. Another nice feature is that auctions are added on a more frequent basis.

The next order of business is a complete redesign of the website and to add enhanced features in incremental phases. I will redesign the website to give the same basic features it has right now but with a top 25 enhancement I have planned. Once I complete this and deploy it, I will try to add new features on a regular basis and hopefully an Android version will be available in the near future.

If anyone notices any strange data in the auction listings, please let me know ASAP so I can look into the issue.

Comments

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I take this opportunity to say thank you for your site!

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    dark0 said:
    I have lowered the minimum price to $15 so you will see a lot more lower priced records to give you a wider scope of records.

THis is an interesting choice.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    JLR said:

ditto!

• dark0dark0 61 Posts
    Martin said:
    musica said:
    dark0 said:
    I have lowered the minimum price to $15 so you will see a lot more lower priced records to give you a wider scope of records.

THis is an interesting choice.

any chance of choosing what minimum you want? like any number above 15?

I can configure it to set any sort of minimum I want. Previously it was $20. My main concern is performance, the more data I pull the more memory that's required to store all that data in the database. Performance is still decent and I'm planning on making one of the servers a dedicated database which will help with performance a lot.

• Really, the only thing I really would like to see on CF is a change to query parsing. String literals, boolean ops, negative terms, search inside description, etc. Especially with min pricing dropping to $15 (which has got to be a /huge/ increase in data) more advanced search options would be a big help.

Looking forward to seeing the changes and thanks for keeping CF running.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    the_dL said:
    JLR said:

ditto!

Yeah man - great site. Props for maintaining it for people like us!

• gazgaz 232 Posts
    JehovWet said:
    Really, the only thing I really would like to see on CF is a change to query parsing. String literals, boolean ops, negative terms, search inside description, etc. Especially with min pricing dropping to $15 (which has got to be a /huge/ increase in data) more advanced search options would be a big help.

Looking forward to seeing the changes and thanks for keeping CF running.

Agreed on above, would also like to say a big thanks for the site

Wondered why some of my stuff made popsike but not CF (from the UK)

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Thank you for the site.
    Never liked popsike.

It's discogs and CF for most of the info I need.
    Also Both Sides Now.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Thanks for your good work!
    I use the website and the iphone app a lot.

• dark0dark0 61 Posts
    I will definitely make searching more flexible/powerful.

You may notice some odd behavior in the next couple of days. I'll be making some big database changes. There should be an improvement in performance already. So bare with me.

• I love the site! Why not include BIN's with auctions?

• Thank you for a great site. I use it all the time + the iPhone app. I don't use popsike that much anymore.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    FYI: searching for "!Kung" (as in Folkways) gives a runtime error due to the !

• dark0 said:

The next order of business is an Android version.

• autoauto 198 Posts
    i dont use many apps. considered an iphone just so i can go on this app. but ended up with an android

• autoauto 198 Posts
    so i didnt have to install itunes

• SportCasual said:
    FYI: searching for "!Kung" (as in Folkways) gives a runtime error due to the !

Thanks for the info. These issues will be cleaned up with the redesign. One of the issues I have with the database is that it doesn't seem to like certain characters when using a full-text indexer.

So far it seems like adding the other countries and lowering the minimum price has increased the amount of data i'm pulling by approximately double the amount.

• Include buy it nows

• I can't imagine guys pulling out their phone, looking up a record then jumping is doing great numbers for your page views (and thus ad revenue from those banners you have).

One way to keep people around longer would be to have some bottom of page recommendation engine "people who viewed this record viewed.." type feature. I don't think there's any simple plug-in for it and it could be a low priority hassle to put together -- for instance, one would have to filter out duplicate artist/title matches. Considering how many young kids are learning records and genres solely through the internet these days, there might be some value in interconnecting all the data.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I love cfrenzy, but recently, I have had issues with the search engine. It refuses to accept certain search terms, such as "s/t", "self", and most recently, "too". Any knowledge dropping on this issue? Thanks!

• The_Non said:
    I love cfrenzy, but recently, I have had issues with the search engine. It refuses to accept certain search terms, such as "s/t", "self", and most recently, "too". Any knowledge dropping on this issue? Thanks!

I will be fixing this issue. The database seems to have issues with special characters and it will not index certain common words as well. I need to do a little bit of research into the matter.

One way to keep people around longer would be to have some bottom of page recommendation engine "people who viewed this record viewed.." type feature.

I was planning on implementing something like this for the new redesign.

Include buy it nows

Unfortunately I won't be able to do this because of the way my system is implemented.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    One of the problems I have found is that if you put a space after the search term no matches will be found. Remove the space, and the same search term will work.