Songbooks for the Strut: "Latin" Edition

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited August 2011 in Strut Central
4 volumes of Brazilian music transcribed by Almir Chediak, including one volume dedicated to Chico Buarque. there are box diagrams for the guitar chords.

enjoy:
http://www.divshare.com/download/15583026-105

for those that missed it, i previously posted The Latin Real Book which has a bunch of bossa's, samba's, boogaloo's, etc...
DivShare File - Latin Real Book.pdf

ps- was thinking of doing a 90's rock post with alice in chains, soundgarden, jane's addiction, etc... would you guys be into that?

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    my girl will go nuts for these LAmerican ones
    thank you

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:

ps- was thinking of doing a 90's rock post with alice in chains, soundgarden, jane's addiction, etc... would you guys be into that?

although i am not down she would be down for pearl jam-n-'em

• These are good. Thanks.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Ah... I'm definitely going to put these BOSSA tunes to good use. Thanks very much CrabMFUNK.

- spidey

• glad you guys like, will post more cool songbooks in the weeks and months to come.

will try to add a couple of other "latin" books in this post later so check back

• btw- here is the NYT obit of almir chediak

Almir Chediak, 52, Preserver Of Brazil's Classic Pop Songs
    By LARRY ROHTER
    Published: May 29, 2003

Almir Chediak, an arranger, producer, composer and publisher who was one of the most important behind-the-scenes figures in Brazilian popular music over the last 20 years, died late Sunday in a robbery attempt at his weekend home in the mountains north of here. He was 52 and lived in Rio.

The police said Mr. Chediak was shot to death by robbers who broke into his country house thinking he had already returned to Rio and feared that he had recognized one of them. Two men have been arrested, one of whom was the caretaker of a neighboring house, but both accuse the other of having shot Mr. Chediak.

Though not widely known to the public here or abroad, Mr. Chediak had a huge reputation among Brazilian musicians. Nearly every well-known artist to emerge here since the bossa nova movement of the 1950's and the tropicalista movement of the 1960's had called on Mr. Chediak to notate, organize or record their work or had studied music theory with him.

Mr. Chediak was born into a Lebanese immigrant family here on June 21, 1950. He showed an early aptitude for music, starting guitar lessons at 7, working professionally as a guitar instructor by the time he was 17 and later scoring soundtracks for films and writing string and horn arrangements for recording sessions.

But Mr. Chediak's most significant contribution to Brazilian popular music was introducing the precise transcription of the complete lyrics, melodies and harmonies of leading composers for publication in songbooks. The idea was born when Mr. Chediak was giving guitar lessons to the son of Caetano Veloso in the mid-1980's and found that Mr. Veloso was often at a loss to remember what chords he had played or the words he had sung on a particular song.

''I have never been one to pay much attention to that sort of thing, since I tend to write a song and move on,'' Mr. Veloso recalled in an interview late last year. ''But Almir was so dedicated, so intent on deciphering the proper chords and harmonies that he won me over and convinced me to work with him on a songbook.'' It included the definitive versions of nearly 200 of Mr. Veloso's songs.

Later songbooks by other artists were often accompanied by CD's that had new and innovative versions of the songs performed by other leading names of Brazilian popular music. He produced those albums, and was widely praised for rescuing obscure songs and for persuading artists to record songs that were thought to be at odds with their usual styles or public images.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/29/arts/almir-chediak-52-preserver-of-brazil-s-classic-pop-songs.html

• Mambo's! Samba's! Rhumba's! (w/box chord diagrams for g-tar)
    -couple ray barretto songs on here like "hard hands" and "deeper shade of soul"!!!

DivShare File - _VA_ Mambos! Sambas! Rhumbas!.pdf

more to come....

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Who here plays guitar besides me & Steve?

- Diego

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    I play ukulele

• Last ones for a bit:

Samba Fake Book (with box chord diagrams)
    http://www.divshare.com/download/15617186-fd5

Jazz and Samba Rhythm
    DivShare File - Jazz and Samba Rhytme.pdf