best way to box up your records

GaryGary 3,982 Posts
edited August 2011 in Strut Central
got to put my records away for a while. what's the best box? is there something I can get at home depot or do I have to order something online (do not want).

Comments

• here's my 2 cents: uhaul sells boxes that perfectly fit records for travel or storage for about 3-4 bucks a shot, maybe they hold about 40-50 lp's. each. the problem is most boxes you will find are too narrow but you can pack them at an angle and stuff the spaces with scrunched up newspaper.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Wine boxes. Perfect size for a snug fit and small enough to carry.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    How many do you need?

Get 13x13 cubes from Uline. They will fit over size records, a full box won't weigh too much and you can fill whatever slight empty space there is with cardboard or chud.

Boxes from Uhaul are a total ripoff last I checked.

• Horseleech said:

Boxes from Uhaul are a total ripoff last I checked.

complete and utter ripoff but if you're desperado they are always there in a crunch...

ps- don't make the mistake of trying to pack 100 records in a box unless you are he-man...

• how much would you all pay for those modular 13" milkcrates with the beveled lips to make them stackable? the ones you sometimes see at record shows? i just overpaid for a gang of them but sometimes in transit convenience > money.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    Assuming these are nice records, and depending on where they're going for storage, you may want to consider something more protective than cardboard boxes. In moving my collection across the country, I once used those big Rubbermaid bins (from Target/HomeDept/Staples) - which hold about two boxes worth of records - and then sealed them with duct tape. Obviously these will make heavier packages (i.e. harder to move around) but they will protect against water damage or mold from other things in storage. And you can also stack other things on top of them without damaging the records.

If you're going to use cardboard boxes, make sure they're off the ground (again, re: flooding). The nice thing about plastic crates is that the newer ones usually have feet to lift them off the ground by an inch or so.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    herbacios tweed said:
    how much would you all pay for those modular 13" milkcrates with the beveled lips to make them stackable? the ones you sometimes see at record shows? i just overpaid for a gang of them but sometimes in transit convenience > money.

The problem with these is that they have openings on all sides, which makes them less than ideal if you plan on storing your records outside, in a shed, or in a super dusty or moist place.

Go with what Horseleech recommends, and there are multiple cardboard thicknesses that you can chose from depending on how much you want to ball out.

Cheap

Balleur

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    If the U-Haul or similar boxes aren't enough for you, you have issues.

• cardboard boxes is fine under normal conditions, but when the ''water'' hits the fan u're better of with plastic boxes.
    I''m lucky i stored all in plastic boxes or i'd probably 'shoot myself in the head after yesterdays water leakage..

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

from http://www.protected.de

They will cause you significant shipping costs when ordering from the US but they're so worth it. I even had these shipped to Africa. They are solid and stackable. Put them off the ground on wooden beams and you won't even have to worry about water leaks.
    I would never use cardboard boxes for mid- or long-term storage.