RIP Jack Layton

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited August 2011 in Strut Central
the leader of the opposition party in canada. i didn't agree with many of his platforms and positions but i always respected his intelligence and integrity. RIP

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/opposition-leader-jack-layton-dead-at-61/article2137070/

Comments

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Best man in Canadian politics. Sad day.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    Extremely sad day. Just to think a few months ago, he lead the party to their best national results.

I hope this doesn't ultimately hurt the party too much.

But damn... RIP Jack.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I was not always a fan, but his vision - not to mention what he did for the NDP's profile - are not trifle matters in the company of buffoons, thieves and devils. He was a glimmer of hope in a depressing political landscape and, as we now know, working til the very end.
    I really hope folks honour him and fight the good fight.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Great man.
    Never got to see the fruits of his labour...all the more saddening.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    DOR said:

Please tell me that Canada had its own version of Star Trek where everyone in space was just a little more polite.

DB_Cooper said:
    DOR said:

Please tell me that Canada had its own version of Star Trek where everyone in space was just a little more polite.

The only Canadian space show I can remember was The Starlost

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    RIP sad day
    and this revrses the NDP's momentum

pcmr said:
    RIP sad day
    and this revrses the NDP's momentum
    This is the kind of thinking he was working against, no?

From his good-bye letter, the part directed at the young people of Canada:

"Canada is a great country, one of the hopes of the world. We can be a better one ??? a country of greater equality, justice, and opportunity. We can build a prosperous economy and a society that shares its benefits more fairly. We can look after our seniors. We can offer better futures for our children. We can do our part to save the world???s environment. We can restore our good name in the world. We can do all of these things because we finally have a party system at the national level where there are real choices; where your vote matters; where working for change can actually bring about change. In the months and years to come, New Democrats will put a compelling new alternative to you. My colleagues in our party are an impressive, committed team. Give them a careful hearing; consider the alternatives; and consider that we can be a better, fairer, more equal country by working together. Don???t let them tell you it can???t be done.
    My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we???ll change the world.
    "

He was a great leader for the party, but not so egotistical and deluded to not realize that it is bigger than him. To NDP members:

"There will be those who will try to persuade you to give up our cause. But that cause is much bigger than any one leader. Answer them by recommitting with energy and determination to our work. Remember our proud history of social justice, universal health care, public pensions and making sure no one is left behind. Let???s continue to move forward."

There doesn't need to be an inquest; his battle with different types of cancer is well-documented. But of course, we can call on his family as witnesses - they were all around him when he died.

You're a fool. Go back to the Libya thread and pollute over there.