GRIZZLY MAN (film related)

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
Okay, so I saw this new Werner Herzog documentary last night and have come to the conclusion that I really need someone like Werner Herzog in my life, like some kind of step-grandpa or something. He is simutaneously crazy and grounded. He speaks so eloquently and poetically in deadpan monotone, but never minces words. His humor is bonedry but he is undeniably soulful. I don't want to give away what the film is about, but it's real and raw and really engrossing. Has anyone seen it? Does anyone here like Herzog films?At the Q & A session at the NYC screening, someone asked Werner what's the point of the filmand Werner replied"I don't know. What is the point of children?"hahaha

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I watched a special on him a few weeks back...

One of the sadest things I've ever seen is his dad listenning to the tape and looking at his wife...

The guy seriously went crazy...

But his attitudes towards animals needs to be picked up by others.. Minus the crazyness stuff...

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    anybody know where this can be seen in chicago and when?????

Check maybe

Landmark Century Centre Cinema (add to My Theaters)
    (Landmark Theatres) 2828 N. Clark St., Chicago, IL 60657, 773-509-4949
    Showtimes:
    11:40am | 2:00pm | 4:30 | 7:00 | 9:30

http://www.landmarktheatres.com/Market/Chicago/Chicago_Frameset.htm

• so was it really a documentary, based on actual footage shot by the subject? I saw a preview, and given the director, was dubious. Looks like a great movie though.

so was it really a documentary, based on actual footage shot by the subject? I saw a preview, and given the director, was dubious. Looks like a great movie though.

Yeah, the dude shot hundreds of hours of footage up there on his own.

You get to see him start to lose it and go a bit nutz.

I don't wanna wreck anything... But it's the footage you don't get to see but they talk about which is really... really messed up...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    he's so weird and lovable. on NPR a few weeks back, he was on fresh air saying that this (GRIZZLY MAN) should be taken as the keystone of his career. i guess he had access to all sorts of obscure footage, and even a tape recording of the actual bear attack that killed tim treadwell and his equally naive girlfriend. from the sound of it, the tape is horrible, and he didn't/wouldn't include that footage out of respect for the victims' families and the audience. bizzare-o.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    so was it really a documentary, based on actual footage shot by the subject? I saw a preview, and given the director, was dubious. Looks like a great movie though.

I don't wanna wreck anything... But it's the footage you don't get to see but they talk about which is really... really messed up...

ACtually that footage doesn't exist. That whole scene was filmed with the lenscap on... According to a film school friend.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

Check maybe

Landmark Century Centre Cinema (add to My Theaters)
    (Landmark Theatres) 2828 N. Clark St., Chicago, IL 60657, 773-509-4949
    Showtimes:
    11:40am | 2:00pm | 4:30 | 7:00 | 9:30

http://www.landmarktheatres.com/Market/Chicago/Chicago_Frameset.htm

THANKS!!!!!!!!!

• i really love werner herzog. i have only seen fitzcaraldo and agguire wrath of god. but i thought both were amazing. being a lil dude film geek who is now trying his own hand at cinematography, ive gotta say the way he frames scenes is breath taking. i haven't seen the documentary, nor have i seen my best friend klaus kinski, but i can't wait to see either. i think both of them were completely mad, and both were complete geniuses at the same time.

agguire wrath of god is a dope movie.

ACtually that footage doesn't exist. That whole scene was filmed with the lenscap on... According to a film school friend.

Yeah.. I should have made that clear... My Bad.

Like I said earlier. The sadest part was seeing his father listen to it and turning to his wife and saying "you can never ever listen to this"

• agguire wrath of god is a dope movie.

Who you calling a dope?!?!?[/b]

• someone was just telling me about this movie yesterday.
    sounds dope... but probably not as good as "spring break shark attack"
    i wanna check it out,
    m

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

You can find the audio on the internet somewhere. I seem to recall downloading it but couldn't bring myself to listen to it more than a few seconds (before the mauling). I just don't dig on that rotten.com type shit.

• I saw this and it is easily one of the top five documentaries, nay FILMS, I have ever seen. A truly sensitive and utterly incredible work.

Got me searching for a Heart of Glass...

• I seem to recall downloading it but couldn't bring myself to listen to it more than a few seconds (before the mauling).

If you see the film you'll find that this is 100% impossible. You were likely hearing some other bear/man incident.

• The saddest part was seeing his father listen to it and turning to his wife and saying "you can never ever listen to this"

This scene is actually the director Herzog listening to the tape in the presence of a close friend of Treadwell who was given all of Treadwell's footage.
    A scene of blinding intensity and compassion.

EVERYONE MUST SEE THIS FILM.

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts

EVERYONE MUST SEE THIS FILM.

Did you see this with D. Tompkins last weekend? He's quoted in his last two e-mails: "If it don't scare away the cows then who cares?"

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    Incident At Lockness

for truely great herzog moment check out the short film "werner herzog eats his boot"

he bet his cameraman that he if the cameraman ever one the palm d'or he would eat his boot.

cameraman did Gates of Heaven

werner eats boot.

they used to show this after Herzog flics on canadian tv latenight.

Herzog is the all time dude

• Did you see this with D. Tompkins last weekend?

I saw this with DT and both of us were soaked to the drawers following the horizontal rain on Sunday in NYC.
    Dampness notwithstanding, we were both MOVED.

"Put the kabosh on that heat."

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    I want to see this but I'm kind of scared, the scene in the preview where he tries to pet the bear in the river and it turns on him all quick HAS ME SHOOK. I mean, I will see it, but I'm scared. am I crazy? thanks.

• they ran a lil special about this guy on nightline last week. they even showed herzog listening to the audio on that mauled to death tape and he seemed visibly shaken.

they also interviewed some of the local alaskans and they made that treadwell dude out to be a city fool trying to live with bears and what not.

this is all i ever needed to know NOT to fuck with bears.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    well hey, at least there's a new movie you can scare the shit out of your kid with.

well hey, at least there's a new movie you can scare the shit out of your kid with.
    there's not any explosions or will smith... he's not interested.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'm confused - is there or is there not audio tape of the actual mauling?

herzog had/has access to it, folls who see the film will not hear that on the OST.

they ran a lil special about this guy on nightline last week. they even showed herzog listening to the audio on that mauled to death tape and he seemed visibly shaken.

they also interviewed some of the local alaskans and they made that treadwell dude out to be a city fool trying to live with bears and what not.

yeh he wasn't the brightest of individuals. He went nuts and thought he was their friend/protector? I mean these are grizzlies... not your berry eating NC black or brown bear... Dude was def. out of his mind.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    they ran a lil special about this guy on nightline last week. they even showed herzog listening to the audio on that mauled to death tape and he seemed visibly shaken.

yeh he wasn't the brightest of individuals. He went nuts and thought he was their friend/protector? I mean these are grizzlies... not your berry eating NC black or brown bear... Dude was def. out of his mind.

I caught the same Nightline special and dude did seem pretty wacked out. I feel bad for his girlfriend who got killed but as for Grizzly Man, his attitude towards bears felt rather patnernal and presumptuous. He definitely didn't come off like John Muir.

• When was the night line special... anyone have an exact date or at least close to?

THanks