Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited August 2011 in Strut Central

The girl from Slum Dog is beautiful.

The sequels are gonna be...............bananas!

Better than the Wahlberg joint.

They cant top the OG.

I would really like to peep the cheap TV series.

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    batmon said:

Not difficult to achieve

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    haha.....i didnt think the walberg joint was all that terrible.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    batmon said:

They cant top the OG.

i saw it last night and i agree with everything you brought up. it didn't blow my mind but it was pretty good as far as the series goes! i thought slumdog girl was a far better choice than some usual hollywood gwyneth/dunst type of thing. the CGI didn't annoy me at all either!

jammy said:
    batmon said:

They cant top the OG.

i saw it last night and i agree with everything you brought up. it didn't blow my mind but it was pretty good as far as the series goes! i thought slumdog girl was a far better choice than some usual hollywood gwyneth/dunst type of thing. the CGI didn't annoy me at all either!

Freida Pinto was great choice. I agree.

The CGI was fresh. It didnt feel cartoony at all.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Pinto is obv. hot as hell; no need to harp on that.

It was a lot "dumber" than I thought it would be. I wasn't expecting some 2001/12 Monkeys (ha!)/Gattaca/Minority Report-style "smart" sci-fi movie or anything. But is a simple plot twist too much to ask for? It was just too linear, too simple, too succint, too "small." Not much happened. It was basically one big epic Golden Gate Bridge scene and...some little stuff beforehand.

Mean prison guard kid character was a little much.

Though Caesar's first day on the yard was rugged I must say.

Some good effects.

Glad to see Muir Woods get some shine; a beautiful spot.

i liked ceasars development. despite the 'smallness', i found his growth into the leader attractive.

it wasnt all about humans and their shit.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    SPOILERS
    Watched it the other day and i thought it was corny as hell - 4/5 of the film is on some sappy ive got a smart monkey as a pet sitcom type ish - the only action comes in the final 15 minutes and its laughably unbelievable - really though.
    That shit with the gorillas and the bus? The helicopter? GTFOOHWTBS
    Also the CGI - although as a whole it was quite good, looked very spotty to me in places.

Characters were pretty much shit - the black ceo? laughable - the neighbour? the bad monkey minder? all completely unbelievable.
    Also the girl is hot but that look she gives after she creates a diversion for her man to escape had me and my girl in stitches - bitch please.
    Im all for sci fi and over the top action but this flick was lacking man. It gets a big 'Nah Son'.

Also - the talking monkey ish at the end really killed it for me - monkeys cannot develop speech because of their larynx - pseudo science or not - that needed some splainin and it was just casually thrown in at the end with no explanation - what - the virus changed his larynx? all the changes in the apes up to that point were mental, not physical, so that seemed really dumb.

Im a fan of the og's and thought the wahlberg was shit. to add a little perspective.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    batmon said:

They cant top the OG.

One of my boys who's a total comic-book/sci-fi geek said it's one of the best blockbusters he's seen in years, and that it humanises (for want of a better word) the story in a way that the previous interpretations couldn't quite manage - imagine if this happened to you, that kind of thing. He too said it took a huge dump on the Burton/Wahlberg refit. I'm looking forward to it.

• staxwax said:
    the only action comes in the final 15 minutes and its laughably unbelievable - really though.

yeah for real, i thought it was a documentary...gorillas pushing a bus will never happen.
    come the fuck on. some people pay twelve bucks to enjoy a movie and others pay twelve bucks to enjoy being siskel and ebert.
    id almost pay to see the movie again. lot of fun, some thoughtfulness about animals in captivity and some unbelievable scifi shit that fit perfectly because it was a scifi/action movie.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,785 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    batmon said:

He too said it took a huge dump on the Burton/Wahlberg refit. I'm looking forward to it.

I thought the race relations angle of the Burton version would've gone down well with the Strut; that film was Harriett Beecher-Stowe even more than it was sci-fi.

Looking forward to seeing this new version, realistic or not.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    staxwax said:
    the only action comes in the final 15 minutes and its laughably unbelievable - really though.

yeah for real, i thought it was a documentary...gorillas pushing a bus will never happen.
    come the fuck on. some people pay twelve bucks to enjoy a movie and others pay twelve bucks to enjoy being siskel and ebert.
    id almost pay to see the movie again. lot of fun, some thoughtfulness about animals in captivity and some unbelievable scifi shit that fit perfectly because it was a scifi/action movie.
    SPOILERS
    lol
    I enjoy bad and schlocky action and sci fi as much as - if not more than - the next man - but srsly - 50 apes overrunning a squad of heavily armed cops and a helicopter by pushing a bus and throwing a chain?? oh, and the fog. shit was funny as hell.
    maybe it was all the pseudo science leading up to the climax that made suspension of disbelief that much harder for me.
    I did like the scene where the monkey threw a manhole cover at that cop car tho. that was a cool moment.
    my ladyfriend derided me when, before we watched this, i got her to watch it with me by saying Ice T had tweeted it was a cool ass movie.

the larynx theory is equatable to why their green eyes were "unexplainable".

Yes Doc and Tripdouble, they did some Ape behavior steez that the movies didnt need to go into since it was really about the humans for most of the OG series.

Conquest had the most influence on this version.

Im waiting for the 'Huey P. Newton' speech. I hope they go there.

Can we talk about the movie without Spoilers. It not cool since it just came out.