how much do you charge for a cocktail party

spaceghostspaceghost 605 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
i just got offered a gig djing a cocktail party. i don't really have the full info yet. but a homie was asked and plugged me in (no ayo). im imagining i will have to provide the gear and the entertainment. what is fair?

Comments

• sconesscones 434 Posts
    id get a deposit if you're bringin your own stuff, on top of whatever you manage to get out of them for actual dj'ing.

• ayoayo 44 Posts
    bringing equiptment is a huge pain in the ass. that definitly takes time to breakdown a setup, put it in a car, get to the spot and setup again. what do you think your time/skills are worth? personally i wouldnt bring equiptment for any less than $300-$400 but if it was one of my boys i would have to do it for less. remember, dj'ing is the easy part, lugging all the gear is the real work.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I always ask if they have a budget for entertainment. From that you'll get an idea where they stand. Always include rental in your fee. A deposit is a must for someone you do not know well or for a very busy weekend that you don't want to lose to a blown deal.

In general I'm not leaving the crib for anything less than $400 but I got a decent job and am thus not desperate for shinola.

I just found a serious hustle today. I have a renter who has been storing books in one of my storage units for almost 20 years (he's a priest). He wants his books now that his is retired (in his late 80s). My partner and I are going to be driving about 70 boxes of books 6 hours to his house. We figured that it would cost him close to $2400 for us to ship them plus the cost of labor to repack them and get them on pallets to be picked up. So we are gonna do it for about $1800-$2000. We'll pack everything up and pay for the rental. We figure that we'll make about $800 a piece for a days work. Not bad. Plus, we'll renting this in preparation.

• thanks for the feedback. i set the price at $300. the two throwing the party are gonna talk about it and get back to me. i was offered more gigs through them at later times so it could turn into a good source for digging money.

dr wu sounds like a good gig...

don't forget to watch this as well...

breaker one-nine this is rubber ducky...

cause we gotta great big convoy, rockin' through the night
    yeah we gotta great big convoy, ain't she a beautiful sight?
    come on an' join our convoy, ain't nothin' gonna git in our way
    we're gonna roll this truckin' convoy, cross the usa
    convoy... convoy...