CBGB's..museum or condos???

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
CBGB's has been getting alot of NYC media attention due to its lease running out this month. Some cats want it to be landmarked. Some cats say could care less.Anybody out there give a fuck? Should it become the Hard Rock Cafe of Punk? When I walk by it, some of the kids remind me of Renaissance Fair geeks. Just Sayin...................I went to high school w/ some real heads.

Comments

• The world of punk will live on without that dump.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

Now, that's some hardcore Frank Miller Batmon ish!

eh, the "world of punk"?

"that dump" should not be turned into more hideous condos. But that figures, coming from New Jersey...

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    It's already a stop on the double-decker bus tours. "snap, snap, next" Embarrassing if you happen to be outside at the time.

eh, the "world of punk"?

"that dump" should not be turned into more hideous condos. But that figures, coming from New Jersey...

Listen bucko...I played there a couple of times back in the day. It is a dump. I'm guessing there's still vintage 1975 poop on the walls of the restroom.
    I agree that condos (and gentrification in general) are a bad idea, but what becomes of it otherwise? A bistro with caricatures of Tom Verlaine and Richard Hell on the walls? A Brass plaque on the wall outside? Punk Walk of Fame?
    Blecchhh....

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    i've seen like 5 shows at CB's ever... cro-mags twice and friend's bands 3 times... they have had a shitty booking policy for ever, which is a shame b/c for a small place, they have a great sound system... too bad they book mostly crappy jersey metal/punk...

that place is just a t-shirt stand now... might as well let it go... they have expensive drinks and do not pay bands well at all... that's why i find it hard to believe hilly is claiming he's broke... let it go, before it becomes the Cafe Wha of the east village...

no one would waxng poetic about Max's or Mudd Club or Danceteria if they were still open and sucked as bad as CB's does...

eh, the "world of punk"?

Listen bucko...I played there a couple of times back in the day. It is a dump. I'm guessing there's still vintage 1975 poop on the walls of the restroom.
    I agree that condos (and gentrification in general) are a bad idea, but what becomes of it otherwise? A bistro with caricatures of Tom Verlaine and Richard Hell on the walls? A Brass plaque on the wall outside? Punk Walk of Fame?
    Blecchhh....

lol I'm just fucking with you. I know it's a dump, but it's an historic dump. Fuck man, there's three tenement museum buildings just blocks away. It's like, certain LES history can be preserved and other shit gets turned into condos.

Fuck, have you seen the new monster on Houston/Bowery? There's gonna be a whole foods and a gym... on houston and bowery...

Honestly it should be kept in state. I mean, that's the history of it. I'd throw eggs at it if it ended up being some hard rock or something

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    The world of punk will live on without that dump.

eh, the "world of punk"?

Blecchhh....

seriously

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    I'm guessing there's still vintage 1975 poop on the walls of the restroom.

FECAL RAER!

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    It's already a stop on the double-decker bus tours. "snap, snap, next" Embarrassing if you happen to be outside at the time.

Unrelated to CBGB's, but we live on the same block as Hale House so those New York Sightseeing buses always pass right by our brownstone. I hate going outside to throw out the trash or smoke and seeing these tourists gawking. I imagine the guide narrating the tour on some Animal Kingdom-type steez: "Here we see Homo sapiens in its native habitat...Take note of the dark color and markings."

• i've seen like 5 shows at CB's ever... cro-mags twice and friend's bands 3 times... they have had a shitty booking policy for ever, which is a shame b/c for a small place, they have a great sound system... too bad they book mostly crappy jersey metal/punk...

that place is just a t-shirt stand now... might as well let it go... they have expensive drinks and do not pay bands well at all... that's why i find it hard to believe hilly is claiming he's broke... let it go, before it becomes the Cafe Wha of the east village...

no one would waxng poetic about Max's or Mudd Club or Danceteria if they were still open and sucked as bad as CB's does...

Not to mention their "flexible" attitude to fire laws. I've been in there more than a few times (and have heard from others with the same experience) where they were waaayyyyy over capacity, to the point where you felt like you might die in there. It was like one of those Japanese subways where the guy is outside stuffing people in with a stick...

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

are those subway tokens in her hair???

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

CBGB childrens fund raiser to "KEEP THE DREAM ALIVE"

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    First - It already is the hard rock cafe of Punk.

I live right around the corner from it for the past 15 years and its ready to be turned into whatever. They can build condos on the top but who wants pay $3000 a month to live next door to the Bowery Mission and across the street from the Sunshine Hotel, no matter how cutting edge it is.

there is no Second,

It is a dump. I'm guessing there's still vintage 1975 poop on the walls of the restroom.

It always did have the grossest bathroom in the city.