NEW TO SOULSTRUT /EBAY / DIGGING OVERSEAS/ PAYMENT /PRICING OF SHIPPING COSTS

rrbeats2004rrbeats2004 39 Posts
edited June 2011 in Strut Central
HELLO soulstrut members,

First of all i would like to thank soulstrut for this wonderfull site they're running, after i've spent 2 days searching in the forum's history i decided to become a member of this site. definately a diggers place to be, which i overlooked all these years!!
feel free to P.M me when coming to the netherlands i can help you find info on recordshops, or perhaps invite you when i can make the time.

Second of all i'd like to annoucne that within a few weeks i'd like to begin selling a private collection on consignment on ebay. HOWEVER THERE ARE STILL SOME ISSUES AND I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE YOUR OPINION ON IT
--------------------------
1.Shipping price i'm based in the netherlands shipping costs to the usa/russia and the rest of the world are rather high here 18-20$ i'm looking at different possibilities to work around this issue.
Since the stock i'm selling is rather large in volume >30000+ i'm trying to negociate down the price on shipping cost with the courrier, as i am worried 18-20$ will be a huge turnoff for 1-2 records. .

i'd like to know what fellow strutters from u.s.a/russia and other parts of the world consider acceptable/decent pricing on shipping when digging abroad or outside their country.

I will use this knowledge to negociate with the courrier to find the best possible pricing

2.Payment issues: The usage of Paypal seems to be the primary paymemt option on ebay. However i've read horrible stories about jokers that will claim their money back for no reason at all. or threaten to leave negative feedback when not following their demands or just haters..
When looking at a stock of 10000 records on ebay this kind of thing is not wishable. as it could mean ebay deletes the entire stock/

WHAT KIND OF OTHER PAYMENT OPTIONS HAVE U USED SUCCESFULLY NEXT TO PAYPAL AND WORKED FINE.
- BANK TRANSFER
- CREDITCARD
- ANY OTHER RECCOMENDATIONS I NEED TO KNOW ABOUT???

let me know if u know proper alternatives and your experience.

3. what maximum acceptable timeframe upon rececing the record are u looking at ?

Any other recommendations, ideas feel free to comment.or share them with me

I wont be so ''technical'' on topics in the future, but i need some strutter advice/comments regarding these matters.
When i finish sorting i will make some photos. Best to you all!

Comments

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Dude, if you haven't already been selling records online consistently, I would start out slow and get a feel for it before jumping in to sell a 30,000 piece collection. The questions you're asking have been answered here 1000 times over at this point.

• that's one other issue i was coping with, but considering this man's time window ''1-2months'' it needs to happen fast.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    rrbeats2004 said:
    that's one other issue i was coping with, but considering this man's time window ''1-2months'' it needs to happen fast.

You want to sell 30,000 records on ebay in 1-2 months?

Sorry, but that's not going to happen unless you sell large lots, in which case you may as well sell them to a store and save yourself a huge headache.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    rrbeats2004 said:
    that's one other issue i was coping with, but considering this man's time window ''1-2months'' it needs to happen fast.

You want to sell 30,000 records on ebay in 1-2 months?

Sorry, but that's not going to happen unless you sell large lots, in which case you may as well sell them to a store and save yourself a huge headache.

^^^This^^^

Considering that over a 2 month period there are about 44 days the P.O. is open you would be packing and mailing 681 records a day........you'll need about 5-10 employees working 40 hours a week to even come close to being able to pull that off.....plus if you list one item every 5 minutes which is a pretty good pace, you'll spend 2500 hours, or 104 days 24/7 just listing them.

What you are suggesting is literally impossible for one person....or even 2-3 people to accomplish.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    not trying to pile on but i saw a fairly popular in demand record not sell twice for 14.99
    because shipping from the netherlands was like 18-21$
    i wanted it but was truned off by the price
    you should truly try and break the collection into manageable pile
    common titles, mid range, and raer
    sell commons to stores, do a set sale of the midrange and let the best pieces get cosinged and sold by an ebay dealer with a formidable reputation
    good luck to you and the collector

• @ horseleech.

no, thats not possible all at once, but i will start of with 200 records a day the first week starting at 1$. I have someone helping me with the auctions but don't expect him to work that hard.

Untill i meet the sellers ask price for all the records i will sell them on ebay as fast as possible.
    even if this means adding some heat from my own private records i have 10 beatles blue boxes for sale. i will only need one.
    I will also sell my mothers record as it has never been on ebay to draw some attention and only 100 are pressed

possible hit and run in the making. i will work like a beast to pull it off.

• pcmr said:
    not trying to pile on but i saw a fairly popular in demand record not sell twice for 14.99
    because shipping from the netherlands was like 18-21$
    i wanted it but was truned off by the price
    you should truly try and break the collection into manageable pile
    common titles, mid range, and raer
    sell commons to stores, do a set sale of the midrange and let the best pieces get cosinged and sold by an ebay dealer with a formidable reputation
    good luck to you and the collector

very informative pcmr, that's what i ment.. i see sellers with ''only''' 1000 sales a year what could've easily been 2-3000?? if the shipping cost were lower.
    making sets on labels/artist is a wise idea. i don't want to be the ''buy it now seller'' that waits 3 years upon selling..
    may i ask what shipping price would've made you go along with buying the record?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    rrbeats2004 said:
    @ horseleech.

no, thats not possible all at once, but i will start of with 200 records a day the first week starting at 1$. I have someone helping me with the auctions but don't expect him to work that hard.

Well, I would point out that in ten years of following record sales and selling on ebay I have never seen anybody do this or anything close. Bear in mind that a lot (most?) of these records just won't sell, even starting at a dollar. And there's no real end run around shipping costs and Payapl, if there was everybody would be doing it. A very large percentage of people won't buy from you at all if they can't use paypal.

Even Graig Moerer, who has been doing this as long as anybody and has a large staff does not come close to this volume.

I'm not trying to be negative, but 200 records a day is not realistic. I would only sell the high end records on ebay and sell the rest to a store - you will make a similar amount considering the Paypal/ebay fees and it will be a tiny fraction of the work.

• are there even 30,000 record transactions over eBay in 5 years?

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    rrbeats2004 said:
    I will also sell my mothers record as it has never been on ebay to draw some attention and only 100 are pressed.

tell us more about this rarity

• @ horseleech that's a reversed approach i'm also considering. high end records @ 25-30$ being conservative would take a sell trough of 500 records to pull it off but i'd like to keep those.

- may need to sell 1000 mid range sets of 2-5 records (sorted on label, gentre,artist or theme ) to pull it off if i want to keep the 500 top records

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    It's the first time in years that I see a newbie ask a stupid question on Soul Strut and y'all don't clown him.
    I like that Soul Strut.

• SLurg said:
    It's the first time in years that I see a newbie ask a stupid question on Soul Strut and y'all don't clown him.
    I like that Soul Strut.

is it really that stupid? i have bought two jazz collections recently one being 750 records and one 2500 records. it took me 1 album and 1 box to sell to cover my investment. i got to keep all other records.
    This made me think. i'm not planning on sleeping on opportunities. i agree it's a bit over the edge but It's either that or work twice as hard for a boss.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Wishable.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    It's not really a dumb question, except for the part where you expect to sell everything in a couple of weeks. But Typically Soul Strut has very low tolerance for newbies who come here and ask questions about the best way to sell on eBay before we even know what is their favorite Popeye side order

• SLurg said:
    It's not really a dumb question, except for the part where you expect to sell everything in a couple of weeks. But Typically Soul Strut has very low tolerance for newbies who come here and ask questions about the best way to sell on eBay before we even know what is their favorite Popeye side order

That's not the reason i subsribed here, simply for the love of collecting and exchange toughts,finds or whatever.
    If i had known earlier about s/s i would have been here a lot earlier. ! an ebay record sellers name linked me to this site when i typed his name on google.
    i already said that i wouldn't be so'' technical'' in future posts, but the people here do have some knowledge about ebay/shipping. if i ask people in my community they just think it isn't possible. given my small time window i needed some toughts on it.

I should have ellaborated better about selling all at once, the seller asking price ranges from 10000-15000$. i don't have that kind of money.
    what i'm aiming at here is sell a large part (but rather not the best) within a small time window and keep what's left.
    The man is aged and doesn't have the time for this. i rather help him sell it off than see it go for a penny

• rrbeats2004 said:
    i will work like a beast to pull it off.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    rrbeats2004 said:
    if i ask people in my community they just think it isn't possible.

Welcome to the community. People in this community also think it is not possible.

Good luck.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    rrbeats2004 said:

I should have ellaborated better about selling all at once, the seller asking price ranges from 10000-15000$. i don't have that kind of money.
    what i'm aiming at here is sell a large part (but rather not the best) within a small time window and keep what's left.
    The man is aged and doesn't have the time for this. i rather help him sell it off than see it go for a penny

So let me get this straight. There are 30,000 records and you are expected to pay between $10,000-15,000 for them? There better by A LOT of heat in there. I'm going to guess it is a probably lot of dollar bin chud and you're paying way too much.

• i'm also considering. high end records @ 25-30$ being conservative would take a sell trough of 500 records to pull it off but i'd like to keep those.

[...]

if i want to keep the 500 top records

Welkom in het gekkenhuis ;-)

b/w

A collection of that size will probably break down like this:
    5% great stuff - obscure / hard to find stuff to salivate over. These are the ones you want to keep, but also exactly the ones you need to sell to pay $15000 for the collection
    25% nice and semi-desirable stuff that "does" $15-$50 per title. These are sellable, but you'd either have to let buyers pay less than actual cost on shipping and/or profit from the fact that the $24 international rate from NL allows packages up to 2000 grams in weight
    40% solid and clean copies of records that are not hard to find - close to impossible to sell these on eBay
    30% unsellable chud

Personally, i wouldnt do it, but would try to buy the titles you truly want for a high(er) price and hook up a store w/ the rest.

• So let me get this straight. There are 30,000 records and you are expected to pay between $10,000-15,000 for them? There better by A LOT of heat in there. I'm going to guess it is a probably lot of dollar bin chud and you're paying way too much.[/quote
    -------------------

That's exacty the reason i want to work around it,and start selling chunks upon i meet the ask price, i don't want to feel sick about buying it. but with looking at 30000 it's hard to determine a price,

• Rotterdam ook in het gekkenhuis !:P TNT is hatelijk anders kon die 40% tegen een euro ook wel weg of in setjes

Rad Chez said:
    Personally, i wouldnt do it, but would try to buy the titles you truly want for a high(er) price and hook up a store w/ the rest.

...And act as a middle-man - this would take sharp negotiating i'm afraid stores are not going to pay that much.
    It's gonna be a hot summer ... Better be a LOT of heat indeed.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    it's a lot of work dude. i just listed 100 records and it probably took me 10 hours to take pics, record audio files, write descriptions, list, etc. just packed 30 records last night and that took me about 2 hours.

selling records on ebay is not for everyone, especially at such a large volume and for the first time.

• maru said:
    it's a lot of work dude. i just listed 100 records and it probably took me 10 hours to take pics, record audio files, write descriptions, list, etc. just packed 30 records last night and that took me about 2 hours.

selling records on ebay is not for everyone, especially at such a large volume and for the first time.

thanks for your comment, 10 hours is fast as hell for 100 records pics /audio/list etc i don't think i can do it the first week. it would take at least 15 hours for me if i had to start off right now to list 100 records.

-i'm preparing templates for shipping costs now and will upload it on an image host .there are ways
    to import automaticly for every auction.
    -i'm looking at image hosts that work fast. and disirable
    - 1000 pizza boxex for 80$ with a custom print add 15$ / the rest of the packing i get for free from a shop next door but it takes hand labour to cut it out well, and is going to take a lot of time

the last time i auctioned records it took me 2 hours to list 3 items starting from scratch.
    i don't have a quitter mentality, the last time my partner quitted i scored some heat for pennys on the dollar.

The last time i let a collection go, 20 crates go for 100$, because of car troubles car problems i couldn't make it.. to see it sell off for 5000 $ a couple of weeks after that.

• Fascinating stuff!

So. Thriller or Off the Wall and why?

• arvidarvid 50 Posts
    maru said:
    i just listed 100 records and it probably took me 10 hours to take pics, record audio files, write descriptions, list, etc.

Wow, that's not the average speed of listing records on eBay...

I did eBay auctions for a record store in Amsterdam for several years and tried to estimate, as realistic as possible, how much time it took. I got paid an 8-hour working day for dealing with 30 records. That included taking pictures, grading/descriptions and communication with eBay-winners. I didn't have to do the shipping.

Just wanted to say, don't be misled by 100 records in 10 hours (respect Maru!), it will probably take you a lot longer.

• arvid said:
    maru said:
    i just listed 100 records and it probably took me 10 hours to take pics, record audio files, write descriptions, list, etc.

Wow, that's not the average speed of listing records on eBay...

I did eBay auctions for a record store in Amsterdam for several years and tried to estimate, as realistic as possible, how much time it took. I got paid an 8-hour working day for dealing with 30 records. That included taking pictures, grading/descriptions and communication with eBay-winners. I didn't have to do the shipping.

Just wanted to say, don't be misled by 100 records in 10 hours (respect Maru!), it will probably take you a lot longer.

what did they pay u for this?

• crabmongerfunk said:
    Fascinating stuff!

So. Thriller or Off the Wall and why?

i assume this is gulliani..

the reason why is i just need more records, but i'm a bit down on dollars so i'll work around it trying to pull it off this way.
    i could sell off 500 of my best records to meet the sellers price. but that's not how i want to do it. it's too emotional.
    it's better to start off selling something i don't own. and if it works out well add some wanted pieces to my collection.
    i'm greedy when it comes to records, some i don't even want to sell, if they only go for 10 bucks and i have a special connection with it i'd rather keep them even if i have a spare copy

also i have some personal problems regarding buying a house. i just got fired when i just wanted to buy a house.
    But buying one is not going to happen any time soon given my current situation. i estimate it would take at least 5 years.
    I don't have that kind of patience any longer. so i want to build up some reserves this way. i have nothing to loose anyway.

If a store or private seller in the netherlands or belguim would pay me for auctioning their records on a 40 hour basis with 6 months contract i will work for 7/7 8 hours or more if needed. i'd even re-invest 25% of what i earn each month in searching and buying records and let them run with the profit i don't care i just want the house right away not in 2020.

time is relative, don't want to get sucked up in oblivion working for 8$ and not lovin it, that's all i guess. i just want to buy listen and sell records if that's the case

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    I need the Mom record.

What genre, what condition, how much?

• tokyobeatstokyobeats 505 Posts
    rrbeats2004 said:

the last time i auctioned records it took me 2 hours to list 3 items starting from scratch.
    i don't have a quitter mentality, the last time my partner quitted i scored some heat for pennys on the dollar.

i'm greedy when it comes to records, some i don't even want to sell, if they only go for 10 bucks and i have a special connection with it i'd rather keep them even if i have a spare copy

best stick to finding quitters instead ;)