A guy walks into a record store...

DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
Last Sunday a guy walked into my store with 2 boxes of LP's and 45's. We'd just opened and I told him I'd need at least an hour to look through them to come up with an offer. The guy said no problem, he'd come back after running a few errands. The records were really good. Almost all German, Dutch and European pressings from 1977-1985. Great punk and rock stuff. Pistols, Clash, Jam, Telephone, Serge Gainsbourg etc. All the 45's (over 100) are picture sleeves including some Peter Tosh and Marley 7's with European concert dates printed on the sleeve. So I go through all of them and come up with a fair price. Only problem is that guy never came back.My question to the group (especially other store owners) is how long do I wait before I start selling them? One week? Two weeks? Longer? Less?

Comments

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    that is tough.

• Last Sunday a guy walked into my store with 2 boxes of LP's and 45's. We'd just opened and I told him I'd need at least an hour to look through them to come up with an offer. The guy said no problem, he'd come back after running a few errands. The records were really good. Almost all German, Dutch and European pressings from 1977-1985. Great punk and rock stuff. Pistols, Clash, Jam, Telephone, Serge Gainsbourg etc. All the 45's (over 100) are picture sleeves including some Peter Tosh and Marley 7's with European concert dates printed on the sleeve. So I go through all of them and come up with a fair price. Only problem is that guy never came back.
    My question to the group (especially other store owners) is how long do I wait before I start selling them? One week? Two weeks? Longer? Less?

what proof does he have stating he left records there?

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Wait a month, because people like that may bump their head and go "oh yeah, records" so... hold on. Then sell.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Yup, I'd wait a month. Dude is bound to show up and it would be swell to get him some dough. Nice score, those pressings always put a smile on my face and $$$ in my pocket.

• maybe he was a crackhead and got arrested. peace, stein.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    One month.

Yeah fuck it. Sell em now. If he comes back "what records?"

Maybe he is dead.
    Maybe he is in a coma.

You are not a storage unit.

sell them shits.

Neville is an uber nice dude who runs a sweet business. I doubt he would want to tarnish his image like this, yo. Saying.

Soulstrut Better Business Bureau 101.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    id wait a month
    thats a decent amount of time

Neville is a nice dude who runs a nice business. I doubt he would want to tarnish his image like this, yo.

Which is why i could never own a business.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

what proof does he have stating he left records there?

He's not asking what he can get away with--he's asking what would be ethical.

I think a month.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    maybe he was a crackhead and got arrested. peace, stein.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

Maybe he is dead.
    Maybe he is in a coma.

sell them shits.
    What if he's a hitman?

NEVER

SAY

NEVER

Maybe he is dead.
    Maybe he is in a coma.

sell them shits.
    What if he's a hitman?
    If so, then the game will be officially over.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

Maybe he is dead.
    Maybe he is in a coma.

sell them shits.
    What if he's a hitman?

What if he has more good records that he will bring in to sell?

• i guess always get a phone number from now on. peace, stein. .

That pic of Lil' Jon in your avatar has me in stitches...and yes, it's a good idea to get a contact number from now on.

• A month is more than generous. You're not running a storage locker...

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I'd give it 3 months. Just lock them up somewhere and after 3 months, think of it as free product. Did you give him anything in writing (receipt, etc)?

Maybe even think about putting something in a free classified paper for your city or something. So you can always say you tried to make an attempt to locate him. This might save you from any problems if dude comes back and gives you any trouble down the line.

Things you need to think of... When we were bought out, there was a bunch of things like this I had to figure out. Consignment items (Records, CD's, Clothing) that people had not checked on for 6 months plus...

I'm sure he'll come back tho... They usually always do when something is owed to them. Would hate to see him get all "You owe me this much $$$" on you if he does.

BTW,

Merry Christmas

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    i guess always get a phone number from now on. peace, stein. .

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Something vaguely similar happened to me on a night I was playing out. An acquaintance came by after his own gig and invited me to go out back to burn one with him. I had just come in myself from doing the same so I said no thanks. He asked if he could leave his records with me on the stage while he ducked out. Sure. He never came back. I went out back to look for him after half an hour. I was freaked out - the alley there is kinda sketch - I thought he might have been mugged. 2:45 came around and still nothing. I had no idea what to do with his records. I had no way of reaching him and didn't know anyone mutually. Should I leave the records there? Take them with me and leave my number at the bar for him? I didn't know the bar staff during the week and if they could be trusted with a bag full of records. Mostly I was freaked out cause he had just disappeared into thin air.

I ended up leaving them in the manager's office with a note explaining.

He came back a couple of weeks later and got them (not on my night).

He had been arrested for smoking and holding! They took him away because he already had another charge pending. They did not even let him come in to get his stuff.

I can only imagine if I had gone out with him. Uhg.

I say three or four months - something unfortunate could have happened. I know you're not running a charity, but you've nothing to lose by giving him a chance to come back.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    I never got a number. Just assumed he was returning. Looked like the guy was moving so maybe he split. The guy was obviously really into music at one time but the collection pretty much stops dead in 1985.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Mostly I was freaked out cause he had just disappeared into thin air.

Talk about disappearing. A friend of mine attended a march in protest of the Rodney King verdict in San Francisco. The police chief and mayor made deemed protests illegal, and surrounded the entire neighborhood where they were marching, filing everyone into trucks and taking them to jail. Something like 500 people were arrested and taken to the Santa Rita jail and held for over 2 days. My friend was arrested with a woman who was leaving her house to go the grocery, leaving her two kids inside her house. Talk about disappearing, imagine what her kids were thinking for those two days.

There was a lawsuit, and I think my friend got a few bucks, but he describes it as a pivotal moment in his life.
    http://www.aclunc.org/aclunews/news197/rodneyde.html

Mostly I was freaked out cause he had just disappeared into thin air.

Talk about disappearing. A friend of mine attended a march in protest of the Rodney King verdict in San Francisco. The police chief and mayor made deemed protests illegal, and surrounded the entire neighborhood where they were marching, filing everyone into trucks and taking them to jail. Something like 500 people were arrested and taken to the Santa Rita jail and held for over 2 days. My friend was arrested with a woman who was leaving her house to go the grocery, leaving her two kids inside her house. Talk about disappearing, imagine what her kids were thinking for those two days.

There was a lawsuit, and I think my friend got a few bucks, but he describes it as a pivotal moment in his life.
    http://www.aclunc.org/aclunews/news197/rodneyde.html
    Holy shit. That's mindblowing.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

Neville is a nice dude who runs a nice business. I doubt he would want to tarnish his image like this, yo.

yeah, cause you're too random

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    The guy came back today (he'd forgotten). I gave him a check for $250. Time to start pricing.