Jake One???s 10 Favorite Sample Flips!

Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
edited June 2011 in Strut Central
Shout out to the homie Mao and Ego Trip. This is great....

http://www.egotripland.com/jake-one???s-10-favorite-sample-flips/

Comments

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    hell yeah! jake one is the man. i remember msging him on here awhile ago about his 'one man band' instrumental track on the b-side of the 'my position' 12". he told me i was tripping and i moved on. always followed his work. good to see him go from the conmen mixtapes to where he is now!

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    mr. uno has been running shit in 2011, best track on the most recent T.I., Snoop Dogg, E-40, and Ghostface records. big ups.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    it wasn't the 'my position' 12" but fuck it. i got a few of the early conception 12's but not the one i want anymore with his track on it. anyone have that floating around? he played his track off, but i always thought it was amazing...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    That's so fresh that Jake listed the Nottz flip of that Billy Stewart joint. That shit was genius.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    cookbook said:
    mr. uno has been running shit in 2011, best track on the most recent T.I., Snoop Dogg, E-40, and Ghostface records. big ups.

daaamn! didnt even know. proppppppppppppps.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Battlecat???s one of the best dudes ever at replaying shit and maintaining his own sound. It???s like he???s doing a cover version of it but it sounds like his shit no matter what he???s re-doing.

Pharrel does this a lot... going back to the what-you-can't-clear thing, there's tracks* where you can hear that it had originally been a sample, couldn't get the clearance, so he went back and played it, and it no longer sounds identical to the sample, but familiar enough that a hip-hop head will be like whut? Unfortunately for my ears, his replays have that modern, synthetic plastic sound compared to the originals, but in a way, he's putting his own feel on it, and one day lo-fi will go out of fashion and maybe over-produced shiny kits will be the sh*t.

I'm loving this series btw. Great read.

* from the solo LP my gf loves. Walk Into The Sun? Lots of topless videos. I dunno. I hear it in the car a lot. And there's a track that sounds like Cramp Your Style, but, he must have chopped the hell out of Cramp Your Style, still got told he can't clear it, so interpolated his chop. I rate that, even if I don't really like the end product that much.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    Run to the Sun? That's an interpolation?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Paul said:
    Run to the Sun? That's an interpolation?

No, I was just trying to name a track from the album as I can't even remember that! Not really helping much.
    Maybe I'll go home and have a listen to the track I'm thinking of tonight. There's plenty of moments that (to my ears) make me think that he's interpolating chops rather than straight loops... but I guess those would be hard to argue with any certainty.
    Would be interested in an interview with Pharrel to find out how much, if any, of those tracks had been based around samples or not.
    Maybe I'm just hearing sh*t!

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    Ah OK, i was just interested cos that's a great track. etc.

I remember reading that they'd chop stuff up and replay it, but a lot of it sounds like someone pissing around on a keyboard workstation.