What's Goin On/40th Anniv Deluxe?

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited June 2011 in Strut Central

BOX SETS
A tribute to Marvin Gaye's 'What's Going On'
There's a whole lot going on with What's Going On. In celebration of the 40th anniversary of Marvin Gaye's classic socio-political opus, Motown/Ume is issuing a new super-deluxe edition ($47.26) that includes two CDs and one vinyl LP, 14 unreleased tracks, rarities and an oversized booklet with two essays and rare photos from the original cover shoot. The album, which included the hit title track, Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler) and Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology), plugged into disillusioned soldiers returning home from the war in Vietnam. The extras feature Gaye's final recordings in Detroit, including several post-album songs he did with guitarists Ray Parker Jr., Wah Wah Watson and bassist Michael Henderson. The anniversary will also be marked this summer when Stevie Wonder, Tonight Show bandleader Rickey Minor and others perform a tribute concert July 24 at the Hollywood Bowl. Next May, the National Symphony Orchestra, John Legend and The Roots will perform at the Kennedy Center in Washington in honor of the 40th anniversary of Gaye's legendary performance there.

I just fuckin copped the Rarities Version from ITunes.
Now another Vault-scraping extras package.

Luol DANG!

Comments

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    is the track list on the extra stuff the same as the Deluxe Edition of a few years back?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I dont know but i bet it is. Yet its the "unreleased" stuff that your paying for besides the packaging.

I doubt they would place a bells and whistles box around an already released version

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    So many rereleases of this album... I need to hear the unreleased stuff & know its worthy before I could drop that kind of dough.

• extra material = bottom of the barrel has been reached with under-produced instrumental demos, I doubt Marvin was even involved, do not give the cash cows your hard earned for this garbage, nothing to see here, move along...

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    Here's a tracklist I found (it continues on page 2):

http://www.ilikemusic.com/pop/Marvin_Gaye_Whats_Going_On_40th_Anniversary-13482

Anyone know that those "1995 master versions" are?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Ill burn 50 on it fuck it.