Definitive Funky BlackFolks LP Covers

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited June 2011 in Strut Central
I used to hear yall joke about Rookie TimmyDigalots coppin records with Black Folk.

What are the common "oh this/they looks funky" symbols?

What are the top examples? Bad albums and good albums.

Comments

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    What amateur digger wouldn't pick these up?
    Attached files

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts

• JamalJamal 410 Posts

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    I noticed recently just how many good records there are that sport a cover featuring wistful looking black dude sinking into a luxurious couch or perched with aplomb and nonchalance astride a bohemian-distressed Deco wooden chair, some foreground symbols of then-extant sophistication such as Art Books or marble ashtrays casually strewn across coffee tables and the like.

Talmbout some Johnny Bristol sets form the mid 70s, Terry Callier, Tom Brock, Lou Courtney.

Please for DB or someone to disect the zeitgeist of that time and reveal some deep inner truths about the Black Man's place in society post-Black Power blah blah blah

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    anyone ever listened to this one?

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    Jamal said:

elbow raer

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    skel said:
    I noticed recently just how many good records there are that sport a cover featuring wistful looking black dude sinking into a luxurious couch or perched with aplomb and nonchalance astride a bohemian-distressed Deco wooden chair, some foreground symbols of then-extant sophistication such as Art Books or marble ashtrays casually strewn across coffee tables and the like.

Talmbout some Johnny Bristol sets form the mid 70s, Terry Callier, Tom Brock, Lou Courtney.

Please for DB or someone to disect the zeitgeist of that time and reveal some deep inner truths about the Black Man's place in society post-Black Power blah blah blah

Here's a rare example of the same trend in the 80s:

And here's what this would look like with tackier furniture:

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Jamal said:
    anyone ever listened to this one?

in my "to be played for the first time" pile