Northern California Trunk Tape Resurrection 4CD set

showandtellshowandtell 97 Posts
edited May 2011 in Strut Central
If you've got $25 to blow and even a passing interest in Bay rap, I could not recommend this any higher. Incredible shit, and I've only heard 1/2 so far!

http://www.rapmusicguide.com/item/5683/R8R_Lwood_Present_Northern_California_Trunk_Tape_Resurrection.html

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    This is some heavy shit - I've given each disc a listen through but am still barely scratching the surface.

The comp leans further towards the mobb/gangster sound than my personal taste does, but pretty much everything is good and some shit is straight mindblowing.

Mega-props to R8R and L-Wood...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Thanks for the heads-up, looks awesome!

• Jonny_Paycheck said:
    The comp leans further towards the mobb/gangster sound than my personal taste does, but pretty much everything is good and some shit is straight mindblowing.

Mega-props to R8R and L-Wood...

Yeah, man. I'm really impressed with these dudes. Do you happen to know them?

Bout a 1/4 of the gangster shit is dull but even the least inspired tracks have some little thing to offer. I'm blown away over here. It's just incredible to hear top level shit from obscuro crews who were recording in my own backyard. Apparently I was stuck on Short during that whole era...

• Mongo_SladeMongo_Slade 999 Posts
    So good.

I sort of know R8R. We've traded emails a bunch of times over the years and he sends me stuff from time to time. He and L-Wood did a fantastic job compiling and mixing the Trunk Tape series. I was really impressed by how well the mix held my attention.

FWIW, the San Francisco and Sacramento rap mixes they did are excellent as well. R8R also made a nice Mac Dre mix in collaboration with Dave Dice.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Thanks for the heads-up, looks awesome!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    showandtell said:
    It's just incredible to hear top level shit from obscuro crews who were recording in my own backyard.

Definitely. I was on the far opposite side of the tape game back in that era, so I didn't expect to know much. But the obscurity level is indeed impressive - I recognized nothing but a handful of names and tracks beyond the (very few) obvious joints.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    What are the years it covers?

• Roughly like '86-'96. All tape-only stuff.

• Mongo_Slade said:
    So good.

I sort of know R8R. We've traded emails a bunch of times over the years and he sends me stuff from time to time. He and L-Wood did a fantastic job compiling and mixing the Trunk Tape series. I was really impressed by how well the mix held my attention.

FWIW, the San Francisco and Sacramento rap mixes they did are excellent as well. R8R also made a nice Mac Dre mix in collaboration with Dave Dice.

Cool, thanks, that's just why I asked - those other cds sound sick. And yeah, the mix's gotta be mentioned too, so well done. I can't imagine how much time these dudes put into this!