20 years ago today: DE LA SOUL IS DEAD and O.G. ORIGINAL GANGSTER

johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
edited May 2011 in Strut Central
I wrote some retrospectives on two of some of my all time favorite hip-hop albums. I do know that N.W.A's EFIL4ZAGGIN also came out on May 13, 1991, but it did not make a big impact on me as their earlier records did. I don't hate the record, but it didn't floor me as the albums by De La Soul and Ice-T did. Nonetheless, if any of you have the time, read my articles and feel free to comment and/or pass the links around:

http://www.thisisbooksmusic.com/2011/05/13/dust-it-off-ice-t-o-g-original-gangster-20-years-later/
http://www.thisisbooksmusic.com/2011/05/12/dust-it-off-de-la-soul-is-dead-20-years-later/

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Didnt Lord Finesse and Melle Mel write that ICE-T album?

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    working on that de la right now. great stuff!
    thanks

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Great. Thanks 4 poasting. One side note: De La once said in an Interview that "Keepin' The Faith" was a track they were forced to do by Tommy Boy. Apparently, they hate it and I can't recall a recent live show where they did perform said song...

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    loving the De La write up

and the Amazon Marketplace Simpson's sticker, and fresh country flower scent douche i was recommended to buy.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i've heard lord finesse but never melle mel. that's crazy. what was the connection?

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    SIRUS said:
    i've heard lord finesse but never melle mel. that's crazy. what was the connection?

Melle mel ghost wrote "straight up nigga" for one.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    staxwax said:
    SIRUS said:

Melle mel ghost wrote "straight up nigga" for one.

yeah, i get that -- i'm wondering how melle mel was brought into the project.

Ice t always had a pretty strong connection to the east coast. What with donald d being in his camp and signing lord finesse. Ice t was zulu affiliated so its not really that surprising him bringing in east coast legends on the project.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I thought ICE-T was done by that album, and enlisting other mcs to write for you was the writing on the wall.

both albums marked the end of the high points for both acts imo

I would say ice t peaked with power and de la with 3 feet.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    staxwax said:
    both albums marked the end of the high points for both acts imo

I would say ice t peaked with power and de la with 3 feet.

old man on the back porch