Boosty's Rubber Band VS. Graham Central Station

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited May 2011 in Strut Central

Funkbox for the win.

Comments

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    GSC by a mile!
    So many great tunes and he Larru Graham never had to resort to the cheeseball goof-funk that Bootsy does.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    Rubber Band all day!!!

• sakedelicsakedelic 247 Posts
    Seen them both live and GCS was nowhere near as happening on stage. That said, my familiarity with GCS recordings is minimal in comparison to my thorough grokking of Bootsy's discography. BRB lyrics and vocals do get cheesy, but they're also original and hilarious and imo the BRB music is pure fire but GSC sound like tepid/generic funk with bland lyrics/vocals in comparison.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Battle of the Warner Brothers Funksters, huh?

Tough call. As much as I like Bootsy and that whole P-Funk mob, I'd have to roll with GCS if I had to choose just one.

I admire Bootsy's innovations, but it's Graham's records that I keep going back to.

I'll give Bootsy credit, though - he didn't get all "adult contemporary" in the 80s like Larry Graham did, with that horrid "One In A Million" song. Pee-yew!

• imho, larry didn't really do anything of note without sly, yet bootsy could more than hold his own solo. so, bootsy.

this thread caused me to listen to this for the first time in a long while....

• sakedelicsakedelic 247 Posts
    neil_something said:

this thread caused me to listen to this for the first time in a long while....

Great track, but I wish someone would post the actual Pts I & II from the 45 on youtube. This is either the alternate take that was used on the 'Back in the Day- Best of Bootsy' cd or an edit of it, or an edit of the 45 take. It's a minute shorter than the 45.

neil_something said:
    imho, larry didn't really do anything of note without sly

crazy talk

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Bootsy easy.