The inevitable: Strutters and death.

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited May 2011 in Strut Central
Morbid, I know, but have we ever discussed this before? A lot of us have been here for a long ass time and somewhat "know" each other. And even though we may not all get along I would like to think that if something were to happen to one of us we would be devastated. I think we all have real-world friends that would be able to inform the board in case anything were to happen to one of us.

I honestly don't even know the point of this thread but I saw Monty's name pop up in the Salma thread and it reminded me that one day he just stopped posting. I think it took us a while to be like "Hey, where's Monty?" then someone did a little research only to find the bad news. Thing is, Monty is/was a legend. News like that is easier to find when you have people writing about your life and your impact on your chosen field, but what about us regular folks?

Again, sorry to bring down the mood. And I apologize for starting a thread that I haven't really thought out. (And typing it with my thumbs no less!) It's just that there's a lot of you that I've interacted with the past what, 9-10 years? and even though we have our differences and get under each others' skin, I sincerely care about you and your well-being.

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I received a Facebook message this morning that a childhood friend had passed away. We grew up on the same block and he was a musician who had made a name for himself in Key West, Florida as a second rate Jimmy Buffett going by the name of Roadkill Bill. He was an author with a couple of books under his belt and had released a few CD's of his music. Even with that(low) level of fame I still have not been able to find any obituary or death notice online nor in the local NY/FL newspapers.

150K+ people die everyday.....and in my estimation most are very soon forgotten.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Herm... You ok bro? I think all of us that have contributed here over the last 10 years are great folks, and I would be upset to lose any of you. That said, I have made a lot of friends here, both close and loose. Were all getting older and grumpier every day and I really hope with age you have more important things to do than post on a website. I feel like a lot of the early strutters have each others phone numbers and if anything was wrong, we can communicate privately.

I recently made contact with an old friend who had some substance problems, and had hurt people close to him. It felt good to talk to him. If something happened to either of us, the other would regret holding grudges.

• Options
    Rockadelic said:
    150K+ people die everyday.....and in my estimation most are very soon forgotten.

True.

http://fireballed.org/linked/2011/05/04/derek-miller/

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    I'm a longtime member on another soul-related forum where the average age is 50+, and there have been serious illness or deaths in the community. Even though I don't know them, I always feel really bad about it.

You definitely create (sometimes strong) bonds with people even though you don't know them face to face...

• Options
    On a similar note, I'm curious how many strutters have wills?

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I have a will.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Me, too.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Dante said:
    I'm a longtime member on another soul-related forum where the average age is 50+, and there have been serious illness or deaths in the community. Even though I don't know them, I always feel really bad about it.

Same here, only change "soul-" to "blues-." I'm on a blues message board where a fellow poster is just as likely to pass away as a legendary performer. It's a sobering thought, even if it's only somebody you corresponded with but never met.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    "Life's a bitch and then ya die, that's why we get high, 'cause you never know when you're gonna go..."

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    My will is easy to decide
    For there is nothing to divide
    My kin don't have to fuss and moan
    Moss does not cling to a rolling stone

Except for all these records, and board games, and toasters, and posters, and The Tick Action Figure, and Chinese checkers boards, and Homies (you know those little guys you used to buy for a quarter out of the machine at the grocery), and old record store bags, yeah that's right I am collecting old record store bags and when I die my wife is going to have to gather them all up and throw them in the recycle bin because it aint worth the trouble to try to find some other loser who wants to burden their heirs with crusty old record store bags. Sorry love.

My body? Oh, if I could choose
    I would to ashes it reduce,
    And let the merry breezes blow,
    My dust to where some flowers grow.

Perhaps some fading flower then
    Would come to life and bloom again.

Really, funerals are for the living, who ever gets stuck having to dispose of my body can do what ever they want. But the new "green" burials are in the ground, no box, no chemicals, plant a tree on it, very Northwest.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Some say you die twice; once when your heart stops beating, and again when you're name-czeched on SS for the last time.