stupid question...

alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
why were record players given the option to play things backwards in the first place?? did the beatles go to record manufacturers "hey check this out lads, we're gonna make a diss record towards paul mcartney, but we don't want it to be obvious...can you play sheit backwards?"

but for real why? inquiring minds want to know whats up?

^i aint a spectorhead, so but i need to know the deal

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    it works with cassette tapes as well. i don't know how many stoned moments i pondered over "here's to my sweet satan" on stairway to heaven in 9th grade.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    most record players don't "play backwards", although Tonic in NYC had a 1200 that did for a while (shit was dope, flip a switch and it goes bacwards... fun stuff...), you have to sit there (STONED) and spin the record backwards...

-p

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Because it's probably really easy to incorporate a reverse feature into a turntable and it's simply another selling point.

• they made turntables that go backwards because of folks like this:

oops, I mean this dude:

and this dude too:

I think Vestax was the first one to make them commercially, and they hooked up with the Piklz back in like '96 or '97 to help them design their mixers and turntables. (hence the 05 Pro, and all those limited edition Piklz faceplates, as well as the QFO)

Shortkut used to do a doubles routine where he would rock one record forwards, and the other record backwards (manually using the strobe dots on the platter) so it would bounce back and forth between a regular beat and a backwards beat a la Paul Revere. Nasty.

• manually spun my bedroom turntable backwards as a teen and heard w/my own ears "turn me on, dead man" on the white album...but is that a false memory? or a 16-year-old's wishful thinking? has it ever been confirmed?

• manually spun my bedroom turntable backwards as a teen and heard w/my own ears "turn me on, dead man" on the white album...but is that a false memory? or a 16-year-old's wishful thinking? has it ever been confirmed?

I did the same thing, though in retrospect it was probably more like:

DREMNEON MEMLEM[/b]

or something along those lines....

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    FOR YOUR THOSE THAT NEVER EXPERIENCED THE SATANIC MESSAGE OF YOR...

http://jeffmilner.com/backmasking.htm

the britney spears one is fucking

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

DREMNEON MEMLEM[/b]

This might be my new location.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    It's funny - when I listen to the songs without the reversed lyrics all I hear is nonsense, but when I read the backwards lyrics while listening to it I can hear it. I think it comes from your brain looking for patterns, in the same way you can raed miexd up wodrs wihtuot any prbolms.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    It's funny - when I listen to the songs without the reversed lyrics all I hear is nonsense, but when I read the backwards lyrics while listening to it I can hear it. I think it comes from your brain looking for patterns, in the same way you can raed miexd up wodrs wihtuot any prbolms.

ya, definately listen to it without reading the lyrics first...

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    FOR YOUR THOSE THAT NEVER EXPERIENCED THE SATANIC MESSAGE OF YOR...

http://jeffmilner.com/backmasking.htm

the britney spears one is fucking

Some of those are on some damn far fetched, coincidental type steez though.

The Eminem one was quite clever though if it was intended.

A lot of subliminal techniques do have an effect, but I dont think our brains can subconciously decode back-masked audio though.

Theres a lot of subconciously persuasive / manipulative techniques going on in music (moreso these days). Its in peoples faces, but a lot of people dont know it cause they dont realise how it works.

Theres a lot of subconciously persuasive / manipulative techniques going on in music (moreso these days). Its in peoples faces, but a lot of people dont know it cause they dont realise how it works.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Take that shit to 'Behold A Pale Horse'