What Section Do You Stash Records In & Why?

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited April 2011 in Strut Central
For as long as I've been digging I have seen the phenomena of folks "stashing" or hiding records in a store with (I assume) the intention of coming back and buying them.

The Classical section used to be the spot but I've noticed that the Comedy section has become a favorite hiding place.

Where do you stash LP's....why....and how long do you expect them to stay there unfound by others??

Comments

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    Country & Western is a pretty safe bet for me...

• I've seen quite a lot of stashed records in the Strange/Funny section of the place I frequent. That and the Country section. I never stash. I usually just place the record I want to buy near the back. Not all the way back where people usually assume someone stashed something there, but a bit like 2/3rds back. That way it gives some kind of an impression that this album is just as commonplace as the other ones in this selection. But I do wish I had stashed one record I came across about a year ago. Lesson learned.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    I never felt the need to stash personally. The two shops I trade with I'm friends with both the owners so if I find records I can't buy all at once, they will hold the rest for me. I have found other peoples stashes in the classical, easy listening, and spoken word before though.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    incompletejigsaw said:
    I've seen quite a lot of stashed records in the Strange/Funny section

This is usually my favorite section!

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    I used to do that with all of the above methods. I eventually stopped because I realized there was no good reason to do that. I've since adopted a more zen-like perspective - if I can't justify buying it at the time, I'll probably find it again down the road; that notion has (for me at least) repeatedly proven itself to be true, and often the second find has been priced better.

• Wow! haha I haven't done that since back in the day. Before I was "digging", I just bought records. Id stash punk or rap records in the classical, show-tunes, polka sections, etc.

• Rockadelic said:
    incompletejigsaw said:
    I've seen quite a lot of stashed records in the Strange/Funny section

This is usually my favorite section!

It's mine as well. Strangely enough, it's the one section I see almost NOBODY look at when I'm at the spot I frequent. I found a copy of A Child's Garden of Grass there a few months ago and wasn't interested in buying at the time. I passed by the shop again last week and it was still there. I'll pick it up if it's still there this week.

• mateomateo 163 Posts
    in the cd's...

• johnblackjohnblack 147 Posts
    incompletejigsaw said:
    near the back. Not all the way back where people usually assume someone stashed something there, but a bit like 2/3rds back. That way it gives some kind of an impression that this album is just as commonplace as the other ones in this selection.
    Record Bin Mind Games... nice.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    Forty Seven Times It's Own New Age Section

I have NEVER understood stashing records. Just buy the thing the first time. When I see $ records that are priced at $2.99, and have been stashed, I really just shake my head, and proceed right to the cash to purchase.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    johnblack said:
    incompletejigsaw said:
    near the back. Not all the way back where people usually assume someone stashed something there, but a bit like 2/3rds back. That way it gives some kind of an impression that this album is just as commonplace as the other ones in this selection.
    Record Bin Mind Games... nice.

this is my game as well, but i've been regretting not going with my instinct a lot recently

• Just came across a Herbie Hancock Headhunters in the DJ Food area at my local place earlier this evening. Thing is it wasn't even an OG (or a 180gram for that matter) and it was way overpriced. I wanted to leave a note with the url here, but then I realize we could do without this guy. And what's the deal with 180g reiessues anyways anyone got an opinion on this phenomenon?

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    i just stash em in the cheese section of the deli next door.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    i stashed a record once. which was really stupid. i found a super rare krautrock lp for cheap but i didn't have any money with me. so i thought it would be best to hide the lp in one of the boxes on the floor. the store was about to close. so i came back on the next day. 2 minutes after they opened.
    well, somebody must have watched me, because the record was already gone. nobody cares for the boxes on the floor. it was only 5 euros. recent ebay prices have been between 200 and 300.

i always ask the staff to keep the record behind the counter for me nowadays.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    A few stores I go to have the "over stock" lined up in shelf form under the bins. That always works as a good stash spot due to the fact that most people don't even realize there are records down there.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    In my lil dude days, diggin' at Amoeba in Berkeley, the folk section was my designated stash spot.

(Apologies to any Amoeba staff who may be on Strut who had to reshuffle shit I forgot I left there)

• I hope people aren't under the impression that I stash records. Stashing to me is putting a record from one section into another, less-frequented, section to later retrieve and possibly buy. I always put the records I look at back in the same section, but I put it further off. Like the place I go to, the folk, country, soundtrack, classical and funny/weird sections are never really frequented, so instead of leaving it close to the front of the bin, I always aim a bit closer to the back. But not too far back. But if it's a record that I feel might cause interest if spotted, I always ask the owner to hold it for me.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I used to hit EM 3-4 times a week.
    I buy with the CC.
    To save the store CC charges I waited till I had over $10 worth of records.
    I always asked the clerks to hold my finds.

After a couple of incidents I realized that my finds weren't being put back or going missing. Clerks were stealing my records. Sometimes one record would be missing from my holds. Obviously some clerks were thinking, Dan wants this, must have a beat, or sample or funky track. They would listen and cop. Or perhaps they were even lazier. Instead of looking through new arrivals they would just look through my holds.

So if I found a $2.10 record, I would just charge it.