Nelson George is selling all his vinyl

Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
edited April 2011 in Strut Central
You NYC cats should hit him up on Facebook.....

Nelson George
looking to sell all my vinyl. LPs, 12 inches, 45s. Heavy on soul, funk, and rock from '70s and '80s with a nice # of hip hop and disco 12 inches. Over 1,000 discs in total. Stored in milk crates. Not greedy, but most be willing to drive by and move it out. Message a brother if your serious.

Comments

• iDOXiDOX 43 Posts
    i remember in a few of his books he mentioned "Love is the Message" as a critical release in his consciousness; twould be cool to cop that from him....

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I'm sure he doesn't have anything worthwhile, move along...

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    :walk_away_son:

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    For real, unless he was a really avid collector - and I've seen nothing in his writing to suggest so - it's unlikely that one would find much that would be above and beyond. Maybe some really minty promo 12"s or the like but not crazy obscure shit.

Might be some interesting demos and advances lurking in his collection but he didn't seem to mention those at all.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I spoke to Nelson yesterday and unfortunately a good chunk of his collection seems to be in possession of one of his assistants, who uses it to DJ. So - mostly - this is a false alarm.

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    I spoke to Nelson yesterday and unfortunately a good chunk of his collection seems to be in possession of one of his assistants, who uses it to DJ. So - mostly - this is a false alarm.

Actually, I overlooked one thing...there very well may be some solid random rap pieces in the collection, especially '80s shit. But yeah, if his assistant is needle wrecking that shit...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    My one curiosity would be his 80/90s promo R&B.
    Theres gotta be some local promo stuff since he was rubbing elbows w the industry then.

i dont care about the classics.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    How does he only have a 1K collection?

faux_rillz said:
    How does he only have a 1K collection?

He did say "over 1000" ;)

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    For some reason, it depresses me to find out that people as deep in the scene as Nelson George or Vince Aletti were are selling their collections. Just recently, I announced on Facebook that I was dumping all my vinyl and would only DJ with my iPod from then on. This was an April Fool's prank, and those who didn't get the joke were all like "don't do it!"

After reading George's book of memoirs (City Kid), I gained a new respect for him. So when I saw the title of this thread, I thought: "Don't do it!"