The Strutter Who Most Strongly Shares Your Musical Tastes?

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited April 2011 in Strut Central
Hey Strutters,

I'd have to say, I've been curious about which Strutter you feel most strongly shares musical tastes with you. My own take on this question comes from the various mixes and such I've heard here. Based on my observations (and conversations via telephone), and excluding my brother Will (since we're brothers for reals and grew up listening to the same music), I'd have to say my answer would be Phill Most. Beyond our mutual hip-hop sensibilities, I'd say we both share a strong liking for stuff such as funk, soul, boogie, folk, and various forms of rock (e.g., psychedelic and classic). It was nice to find that I'm not the only brother out there (besides my own biological brother) who is so into rock music. So, now I ask you, with which Strutter do your share the strongest similarity in musical tastes and why?

Peace,

BIg Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    You
    Phill
    Jake One
    Dee Rock

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    stratasphere said:
    You
    Phill
    Jake One
    Dee Rock

Hey Stratasphere,

On what bases do you feel you share musical tastes with those listed? I have an idea why you chose me, but I'd be curious to hear your take on the matter for myself and the others on your list. Regarding my own list, I'd say Raj Mahal would be a close 2nd given his preference for soul, funk, and jazz that I've gathered from his mixes.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    Who ever likes their psych soft and their braeks hard, and everything a little melancholy is on my wavelength.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    barjesus said:
    Who ever likes their psych soft and their braeks hard, and everything a little melancholy is on my wavelength.

Hey Barjesus,

Is there a particular Strutter, in your opinion, who shares your tastes?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    stratasphere said:
    You
    Phill
    Jake One
    Dee Rock

Hey Stratasphere,

On what bases do you feel you share musical tastes with those listed? I have an idea why you chose me, but I'd be curious to hear your take on the matter for myself and the others on your list. Regarding my own list, I'd say Raj Mahal would be a close 2nd given his preference for soul, funk, and jazz that I've gathered from his mixes.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I came to my conclusion on the basis of the mixes I've listened to/downloaded from each of you. All of you were able to showcase a variety of genres and seamlessly blended dollar bin common with raer. That shows diversity and a well rounded collection, which I am slowly putting together myself.

stratasphere said:
    Big_Stacks said:
    stratasphere said:
    You
    Phill
    Jake One
    Dee Rock

Hey Stratasphere,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I came to my conclusion on the basis of the mixes I've listened to/downloaded from each of you. All of you were able to showcase a variety of genres and seamlessly blended dollar bin common with raer. That shows diversity and a well rounded collection, which I am slowly putting together myself.

Hey Stratasphere,

Thanks for the insights, kind words, and for lending your ears. For me, it's all about the music, so I include stuff on mixes that I personally enjoy, which happens to include both raers and common stuff. I wish you well on rounding out your collection, and just note, that it evolved over years of collecting and listening. It's been a fun journey!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Probably Larry - F16corners, Oliver - Mannybolone, and Tony - tripledouble

motown67 said:
    Probably Larry - F16corners, Oliver - Mannybolone, and Tony - tripledouble

On what bases, Motown?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    That's a good question, and one I don't know the answer to. Probably those who are 35+ in age!

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    When O-Dub use to live in the Bay we use to get together and play records for each other, and we have really close tastes. He has hooked me up with tons of records to hunt down. Larry F16Corners use to send me soul mixes that I just loved and his blog is a wealth of information. I use to go down to Philly and hang out with Tony for a few years when I was going out to the East Coast every summer and we liked a lot of the same records as well.

motown67 said:
    When O-Dub use to live in the Bay we use to get together and play records for each other, and we have really close tastes. He has hooked me up with tons of records to hunt down. Larry F16Corners use to send me soul mixes that I just loved and his blog is a wealth of information. I use to go down to Philly and hang out with Tony for a few years when I was going out to the East Coast every summer and we liked a lot of the same records as well.

Hey Motown,

So you share soul tastes with Larry, but what about O-Dubbles and Tony? These insights are so interesting.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    TripleDouble (dude always has/finds dope ass breaks)
    Big_Stacks (a little of everything)
    Karlophone (a lot of everything)

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    For me it's definetly red clay
    he seems to make me discover records that i am in the mood for at all times and with a similar appreciation for soul,jazz & brazilian he also delves just as deeply as i allow myself in folk and rock

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I've learned a ton from a lot of the shit on here, but Tommy and Delay really turned me onto some of that heavy psych shit with there mixes. Never broke bread with you guys, but Cheers.

- Spidey

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:

Hey Barjesus,

Is there a particular Strutter, in your opinion, who shares your tastes?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Maybe my man, Possum Tom.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Based on his mixes being solid from beginning to end to my ears.......Big Stacks

Gene Pontecorvo on the rock tip

I tend to like the best of all genres....so on any given day I'll have matching taste with somebody here.

Rockadelic said:
    Based on his mixes being solid from beginning to end to my ears.......Big Stacks

Gene Pontecorvo on the rock tip

I tend to like the best of all genres....so on any given day I'll have matching taste with somebody here.

Hey Rock,

Yes, I can definitely see where our tastes overlap quite a bit as well. I remember our "Salty Dog" discussion a while back, we share a love of old soul music, and I tend to like the tracks you post up on here.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    For different reasons:
    Luck
    Hook-Up
    F16
    Rockadelic
    Laser Wolf
    and even though we tend to disagree sometimes, Soul On Ice

pickwick33 said:
    For different reasons:
    Luck
    Hook-Up
    F16
    Rockadelic
    Laser Wolf

Hey Pickwick,

On what bases do you think you share strongly similar tastes with the Strutters listed?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Big Stacks talkin':
    It was nice to find that I'm not the only brother out there (besides my own biological brother) who is so into rock music.

Don't forget about your boy Pickwick out here... :hi:

Big_Stacks said:
    pickwick33 said:
    For different reasons:
    Luck
    Hook-Up
    F16
    Rockadelic
    Laser Wolf

Hey Pickwick,

On what bases do you think you share strongly similar tastes with the Strutters listed?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Laser Wolf, because we can both talk knowledgably about the blues, whether it's the Chess catalog or Paul Delay (RIP), a more recent harmonica player who was way out in front of the usual retro-blues cats.

Hook-Up, whom I've met in person when I've swung through Memphis. I've rapped with him about obscure soul records, and I've heard a good portion of his collection on his radio show on WEVL (which is streamed online - I recommend it). Besides, Hook will get eternal props from me for describing this scene in the record store he was then working in:
    some "woke up this morning" bullshit blues CD a customer wanted to check out (is playing)...we really need a CD listening station.
    Living in a city where bullshit "woke up this morning" blues is part of the tourism revenues, I can relate!!!

F16, Rockadelic, S.O.I. and Luck are harder to pin down - I just know that the range of our tastes hit the same points (for the most part). One of us will mention a record and the other will be like "hey, I have that!" `

SOI may have different opinons on that same record, like two people on two opposite street corners who saw the same auto accident but have slightly different reports of how it went. Once, over on Waxidermy, we were both talking about Rick Nelson's overlooked Perspective album. To me, it was his toe-dip into psychedelia. To him, it was a Scott Walker-ish lounge/cabaret record. But even with these "tastes great/less filling" arguments, we usually wind up in the same threads talking about the same records, and I'm sure there's quite a bit of overlap between our tastes.

pickwick33 said:
    Big Stacks talkin':
    It was nice to find that I'm not the only brother out there (besides my own biological brother) who is so into rock music.

Hey Pickwick,

Yeah, I forgot you're a big rock enthusiast too. It's nice not being the only one, as my boys used to clown me so bad when I was a kid. My mom would send them back to my room when they'd come by, and they would look at me like I was crazy when I was listening to America or something like that. Even today, people are shocked when I sing rock songs at karaoke too. So, knowing that I have fellow rock brothers out here is one more reason to love Soulstrut.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Big_Stacks said:
    pickwick33 said:
    Big Stacks talkin':

Hey Pickwick,

Yeah, I forgot you're a big rock enthusiast too. It's nice not being the only one, as my boys used to clown me so bad when I was a kid. My mom would send back to my room when they'd come by, and they would look at me like I was crazy when I was listening to America or something like that. Even today, people are shocked when I sing rock songs at karaoke too. So, knowing that I have fellow rock brothers out here is one more reason to love Soulstrut.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Oh, yeah! Not to derail your thread, but in the documentary Afro-Punk, where several black fans and musicians are describing how they became huge rock fans, that more or less told my story.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Great thread Stacks!

For me, I would say that I most closely align with (in this order):

Day (by far)
    Musica
    pcmr
    Big Stacks

My choices are made strictly on what I've read on here. I've never met or traded/bought/sold records with any of these dudes. I find Day's recordings, mixes, and the music he's geeked about is right on my wavelength--moreso than anyone else.

Kindly,
    parallax

Hey Parallax,

Thanks, man. How do you think your tastes overlap with the others on your list? Also, I forgot to mention another similarity in taste with Phill Most...we both seem to like melodic, multilayered music with a lot of movement, irrespective of genre.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Options
    Not to be nasty or anything but I'm trying to figure out why anyone considers America to be a rock band.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    BobDesperado said:
    Not to be nasty or anything but I'm trying to figure out why anyone considers America to be a rock band.

Every record store I have ever been in has had America filed in the Rock section.

BobDesperado said:

Hey Bob,

Well, I guess you could say it's more "folk", though some of their stuff has rock leanings. Anyway, the point of the story was the mental picture of Black, hip-hop dudes entering my room to find me listening to America. This is pretty atypical among the brothers.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Options
    Big_Stacks said:
    BobDesperado said:

Hey Bob,

Well, I guess you could say it's more "folk", though some of their stuff has rock leanings. Anyway, the point of the story was the mental picture of Black, hip-hop dudes entering my room to find me listening to America. This is pretty atypical among the brothers.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Yeah, I got that. Just felt like taking a shot at America.

• Options
    Rockadelic said:
    BobDesperado said:

Every record store I have ever been in has had America filed in the Rock section.

I've been in record stores that wouldn't let America records in the door, but I know what you mean.