sticky price tag unappreciation post

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
god, i fucking hate when places put THE stickiest price tags on 45 labels and record covers...i almost always end up ripping part of the cover, but i just hate having the price tag on there..worst is places that put price tags on the grooves...what are they thinking?!

Comments

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    On the grooves, whoa thats a new one! I'm a nailbiter so yeah, fuck peeling price tags in general.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    On the grooves, whoa thats a new one!

I just had to do a major opperation to remove an old library sticker from the run-off groove of a record I got on eBay.

• On the grooves, whoa thats a new one!

I just had to do a major opperation to remove an old library sticker from the run-off groove of a record I got on eBay.

that nasty horse glue or whatever they use is not fun

• in the grooves is hopeless. its over.

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
    On the grooves, whoa thats a new one! I'm a nailbiter so yeah, fuck peeling price tags in general.

I *do* have nails long enough to get price tags off, and it really doesn't matter. Now matter how careful I try to be it seems like at least half the time a bit of that album cover is coming off with the price tag. God, I wish stores would just put poly sleeves around everything, put the price on the poly sleeve and put the name of the album on the price tag so people can't do the switcheroo. Nothing makes me sadder than seeing a really valuable album with a price tag stuck directly onto the cover.

Of course, the dumbest thing ever is this local store where the guy running it wrote the prices on the cover in PERMANENT MARKER. At least with a price tag you stand a chance at getting it off, with magic marker it's over.

I actually was able too get it playable with goo-gone??? that stuff is pretty good. Does not hurt the vinyl...

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
    I actually was able too get it playable with goo-gone??? that stuff is pretty good. Does not hurt the vinyl...

You know, I'm glad you said that... I have a copy of the self-titled album by the Outlaw Blues Band I'm looking to sell, and there's like 3 TINY pinhole-sized spots where something sticky has gotten on there. Record is clean as fuck otherwise, but in those few spots there are pops when the needle hits those sticky spots. I'd considered using Goo-Gone on there but wasn't sure if it would adversely affect the vinyl, so I was going to test it out on some useless piece of shit vinyl I have laying around. Glad to know it works.

You know, I'm glad you said that... I have a copy of the self-titled album by the Outlaw Blues Band I'm looking to sell, and there's like 3 TINY pinhole-sized spots where something sticky has gotten on there. Record is clean as fuck otherwise, but in those few spots there are pops when the needle hits those sticky spots. I'd considered using Goo-Gone on there but wasn't sure if it would adversely affect the vinyl, so I was going to test it out on some useless piece of shit vinyl I have laying around. Glad to know it works.

yeah, should work (knock on wood)

• I used to get records from a place that wrote the prices in the run off grooves of the records with wax pencil...

• I used to get records from a place that wrote the prices in the run off grooves of the records with wax pencil...

I've seen that around here. At the store I work at we get some flack for using super sticky price tags. I told my boss about how our price tags suck and he just shrugged and said "keeps people from switching them". We don't put them on 45s though, only LPs and 12s. We've actually been trying to come up with a good way to display higher priced 45s (everything on the floor is a buck, if you wanna see some better stuff you gotta ask) and have discussed grease pencils, color coded sleeves, light pencil marks, etc. but can't come up with something we feel secure about. Our store is rather large and it's too easy to switch sleeves or mangle prices on 45s so we haven't made much progress in that department.

There used to be a place here called Sam's Jams and for years he would put a giant "$1" in black marker on the front of all his dollar joints. Someone who worked for Sam told me it was because he hated other dealers and wanted to make sure anything that hit his dollar bin was the last stop for that record, no other dealer could resell it after that.

Deep beats and deep crates,
    SonicReducer
    (TEAMAARON)

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    after getting burned way too many time trying to peel stickers off labels and sleeve i just say fuck it and leave em on now.

i do however take a pen and black out the price.. i hate seeing the price of a 12" staring me in the face when im playing out.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    FUCK PRINCETON RECORD EXCHANGE AND THEIR PRICE TAGS! THEY WILL SCAR THE COVER ART FOREVER!!/FONT>

• stop_33stop_33 365 Posts
    hey y'all,
    this is a big pet peeve of mine as well.
    try applying lighter fluid on top of the price tag (x2 if needed). it will evaporate the sticker stick and you can usually remove the darn thing without damaging the cover, etc...
    you can buy a big bottle of the shit for $2 CDN...
    ciao,
    sip

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts
    FUCK PRINCETON RECORD EXCHANGE AND THEIR PRICE TAGS! THEY WILL SCAR THE COVER ART FOREVER!!/FONT>

What I came on this thread to say. That is some serious glue

• slavinslavin 577 Posts

so true. they really need to switch to an alternative sticker method. i am convinced that there is no way to remove the "sticker" and all the glue residue completely without destroying part of the cover.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    hey y'all,
    try applying lighter fluid on top of the price tag (x2 if needed). it will evaporate the sticker stick and you can usually remove the darn thing without damaging the cover, etc...
    ciao,
    sip

Yep, that's a good trick. Just don't over do it. While I can understand stores haveing to watch the sticker switch I still think it's on them to use a sticker that doesn't damage the cover. They know the business they are in and need to accomodate. Plus, they would give you less if you brought a bunch of records in that all had tear marks from old stickers.

One place I went to used to write the price in pencil on the back cover. Their logic was that you could erase it, but you still had a permenant dent where you could clearly read what was written there.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    hey y'all,
    ciao,
    sip

For glossy covers-

1.) REMOVE RECORD

2.) Lightly run lighter flame back and forth below sticker... not ON it.

3.) Repeat until the sticker loosens

4.) Remove sticker

5.) Leftover goo will be sticky but easily removed; run your finger back and forth so it balls up until it's all off. The glue is melted enough to come right off.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    hey y'all,
    ciao,
    sip

For glossy covers-

1.) REMOVE RECORD

2.) Lightly run lighter flame back and forth below sticker... not ON it.

3.) Repeat until the sticker loosens

4.) Remove sticker

5.) Leftover goo will be sticky but easily removed; run your finger back and forth so it balls up until it's all off. The glue is melted enough to come right off.

combine these 2 methods:

• steam from a kettle,learned it from some movie on how to open envelopes without ripping them, MOISTURE[/b] ,YOU KNOW THE SCIENCE

• blaqsoulblaqsoul 61 Posts

If they're still using the quarter-sized circular ones, a powerful hair dryer or a heat gun works miracles on princeton tags. They lift right off with no residue

• FUCK PRINCETON RECORD EXCHANGE AND THEIR PRICE TAGS! THEY WILL SCAR THE COVER ART FOREVER!!/FONT>

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/Tigman/military_cutbacks.jpg" alt="" />