Live Rent Free

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited April 2011 in Strut Central
Why buy a house when you can live rent free?

A neighbor of mine recently sold their business and moved to the coast (about 60 miles away).

Because it's a bad time to sell a house they rented theirs.

Long long story.
First check bounced.
Lost check book had to close account blah blah blah.
Next check didn't show up.
More stories.
2 months
file court papers.
Never got the papers, wrong door, blah blah blah.
3 months
Go to court, renter has lawyer, gets everything thrown out on technicalities.
4 months
Court, both sides now have lawyers.
Mediation
Renter agrees to move out.... next week.
Renter doesn't move out.
5 months
Court both sides have lawyers. Tenant claims discrimination, spying, landlords are drug dealers, bankruptcy, screaming, no end.
Finally judge gets fed up and gives them a date.
They move out.

Gone, lawn mower, washer dryer, landscaping, on and on and on. House trashed. No utilities paid, landlord must pay or everything is turned off.

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    They didn't do first and last upfront? Not very smart. Shit, the last place I rented. I needed to give them a Cert. chq before they would even accept my application to even think about accepting me to rent.

• Options
    Horseleech said:

Saw that, got a good chuckle out of it. Really enjoyed the part about how there are "lots of bank owned homes in Jamaica Queens" for this particular selection of huckleberries to settle right into and claim as their own.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Sween, glad to see you posting again. Strut needs you.

They got first and last months. That is the check that bounced.
    When they got to court their claim was thrown out because in small claims only what is owed (first) can be claimed and they were claiming first and last. Or some such nonsense.

These are not professional landlords, just folks looking to rent their home.

I am sure a better background check would have shown that these folks were bad news.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Sween said:
    Horseleech said:

Saw that, got a good chuckle out of it. Really enjoyed the part about how there are "lots of bank owned homes in Jamaica Queens" for this particular selection of huckleberries to settle right into and claim as their own.

I enjoyed thinking about how these kid's parents were paying around 35k/year so some clown who lives in opulent South Salem can teach their kids how to squat in Jamaica.

I bet for 50k they could learn to be homeless.

• People pull these scams in my building all the time. The owner doesn't do credit check so he's asking for it.

They move in, pay one month and deposit, and that's it. They stay for about 5 months till the Sheriff posts a notice.

This one particular family has hit this place many times. They use fake names, and live it up. They drive Caddis , and sport nice gear. They have kids with hundreds of cousins that make themselves a nuisance, and they park their SUVs in peoples assigned parking.

The out of tune, christian folk songs are an added bonus.

When they move out, they keep parking here.

I think these no credit apartments are on their radar and they do the circuit. Imagine only paying a 3rd of your rent a year.