Home recorded albums

m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
edited August 2005 in Music Talk
I was just listening to the first Paul McCartney albumwhich was done by the man himself playing all instruments in the comforts of his home. Of course there ain't no fronting on the drums, but breaks aside, I really like the casual feeling of the whole record. Just a man trying out some musical ideas.I was wondering what other albums are done in this frame of mind? And don't be coming with some retrofunk "we recorded the drums to cassette tape in a closet using headphones as mics" type of mess, or electronic music (that includes hiphop, technically), because I know damn well that 75% of it is made in basements and bedrooms. I'm talking about things like:(Honourable present-day mention)A singer/songwriter, some instruments and a recording medium. Autonomous style.Enlighten???

Comments

• PSellersPSellers 157 Posts
    Emitt Rhodes used to record his stuff at home by himself and he was obviously heavily influenced by Paul McCartney.

I love this album:

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    just heard that this one was done at home (drums in one room, piano in another)

Tim Hardin:
    Suite for Susan Moore and Damion-We Are-One, All in One

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Emitt Rhodes used to record his stuff at home by himself and he was obviously heavily influenced by Paul McCartney.

I love this album:

co-sign. that one sounds like it could be out-takes of the McCartney bowl of cherries record.

• Emitt Rhodes used to record his stuff at home by himself and he was obviously heavily influenced by Paul McCartney.

I love this album:

co-sign. that one sounds like it could be out-takes of the McCartney bowl of cherries record.

Double secret cosign, and a big ups to the follow up LP 'Mirror'.

I love this album:

do you know if he did any others? I've only seen those two.

• Emitt Rhodes used to record his stuff at home by himself and he was obviously heavily influenced by Paul McCartney.

I love this album:

There's at least one other called 'American Dream'

just checked allmusic - they say he's got 4. the one you mentioned plus one called "farwell to paradise".

never seen either of those. perhaps

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    the mccartney album was actually recorded at a studio in london.

paul's deck had no VU meters on it though

love that Emmit Rhodes record.

similar "done on the 8 track" vibe

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    This great album from Dr. Robert:

And almost all of Lewis Taylor's catalog was recorded in this manner. Here's a recent gem:

SG

Lou Barlow.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    the mccartney album was actually recorded at a studio in london.

Sorry, my bad. I was making assumptions because of this one:

The innersleeve states:

This album was recorded at home. The microphones were plugged directly into the back of a Studer 16 track tape machine, bypassing the recording console.

Call me a softee, but I love "Coming Up" and I play it out a lot blended into the disco sets.

I've seen that Emitt Rhodes a zillion times ??? sounds like I missed out. I'll check it out next time, as with Lewis Taylor who has been recommended several times on SS.

• PSellersPSellers 157 Posts
    Alot of Bert Jansch early stuff was done at home and he has some classics there.

On the subject of Emitt Rhodes... his other records are pretty good not as consistent as the first and he obviously has his Merry-Go-Round stuff to look at too. But having said that my fave Emitt Rhodes song is actually off Farewell To Paradise called "Drawn To You" here it is:

Emitt Rhodes - Drawn To You

I think its a bit of a melter

• L - holy letters

this record is absolutely incredible. hiroyuki usui from fushitsusha. solo album recorded entirely at his family's log cabin in rural japan. intensely personal and wide fucking open. acoustic guitar based with washes of vibes and digeridoo, electronics. hymn and chant inspired vocals. completely anachronistic and spiritual. sounds like a 1600s japanese viking grandfather on top of a mountain during a snowstorm.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

Call me a softee, but I love "Coming Up" and I play it out a lot blended into the disco sets.

great song

great video too

is there a 12" for this?

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

I love this album:

There's at least one other called 'American Dream'

Yeah, Emitt Rhodes is always the first one to come to mind as far as home recording goes. "American Dream" is an exception, though, because I don't think it was home-recorded like the others were.

Here's another one for all the beat-makers out there:

Alot of Bert Jansch early stuff was done at home and he has some classics there.

On the subject of Emitt Rhodes... his other records are pretty good not as consistent as the first and he obviously has his Merry-Go-Round stuff to look at too. But having said that my fave Emitt Rhodes song is actually off Farewell To Paradise called "Drawn To You" here it is:

Emitt Rhodes - Drawn To You

I think its a bit of a melter

Hey, that's really good. I like the arrangement, especially the backupvocals. Sounds very together.

great song

great video too

is there a 12" for this?

He plays all the bandmembers on a stage performing the song right? Andr?? 3000 = . Never seen a 12" of it. My copy of the album came with a one-sided 7" with the live version from Glasgow.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

Dion McGregor Dreams Again

From the Aquarius review:

How long would you last if your roommate screamed his dreams out loud every night? Would you have the foresight to capture these disturbances on tape? Lucky for us back in the 1960's Dion McGregor's roommate stuck it out long enough to provide us with this aural document of one man's nocturnal pain and pleasure. Dion's dreams range from queeny dress up parties to drooling descriptions of large breasted women and cunnilingus contests. Equally disturbing as it is riveting.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts

grrrrrrrrrrreat!

• awallawall 673 Posts

• AREARE 34 Posts
    I think shuggie's "insperation...lp was done at home.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts

i love the sound of the Glow Pt. 2. not a big fan of the album anymore though for some reason. i had the chance to see him play in someones loft/apartment a long with other K Record artists around the time the Mount Eerie album came out.

L - holy letters

this record is absolutely incredible. hiroyuki usui from fushitsusha. solo album recorded entirely at his family's log cabin in rural japan. intensely personal and wide fucking open. acoustic guitar based with washes of vibes and digeridoo, electronics. hymn and chant inspired vocals. completely anachronistic and spiritual. sounds like a 1600s japanese viking grandfather on top of a mountain during a snowstorm[/b].

Now that's a recommendation if I ever heard one.

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts
    I think shuggie's "insperation...lp was done at home.

it says on the back "Recorded at Hawk Sound and Columbia Studios"

It's famous for the fact that he played alot of the instruments himself.

• AREARE 34 Posts
    yeah, I should have refered back to the notes. It seems I always heard that Shuggie did all of it at home. guess not.