U.K. R&B - hit me off

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited April 2011 in Strut Central
Whats good these days?

Who is doin it and who is on the come up?

Plaese to school........

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    batmon said:
    Whats good these days?

Plaese to school........

Good question. I have NO idea what is hot in current UK R&B. I still just listen to the classics like Loose Ends.

Paging DocMcCoy............

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,787 Posts
    Big_Chan said:
    batmon said:
    Whats good these days?

Plaese to school........

I have NO idea what is hot in current UK R&B. I still just listen to

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    For me, UK r&b is kind of in the doldrums right now. If it's the classic "grown and sexy" variety you're after, you're pretty much shit out of luck. If there's anything happening in that department right now, I don't know where it is. Otherwise, all the hyped and/or rated new young artists seem to be working in a kind of mongrelised area where the more familiar mainstream pop/Ne-Yo/The-Dream influences are filtered through things like dubstep, UK funky or James Blake-style glitchy emo-tech, so you get things like this;

Or this;

Or, at the poppier end of things, this;

Now, whilst I'd hesitate to call any of this stuff r&b in the obvious formal sense, it does, broadly speaking, inhabit the same "black pop music" area of the landscape that you'll find Beyonce, Usher or Trey Songz occupying over here. And I must emphasise the "over here" bit, because historically, British black music has always been at its most characterful and interesting when it's absorbed a variety of internal and external influences, rather than just sticking to whatever the US template of the day has been. That said, the latter is probably the main reason why Jay Sean is the only UK r&b performer to have emerged in the last five or six years to have made any impact in the US.

I think my age prevents me from really connecting with this stuff beyond liking the odd thing on the radio. Because I'm not really in the clurb anymore, I'm not hearing any of it in a club context, where it may work better or at least make more sense musically. Generally, though, I don't feel the songwriting or singing is quite up to snuff, and there's a kind of plasticky, out-of-the-box artifice to a lot of modern r&b production, both here and in the US, that I find unattractive. Jessie J has got a pretty impressive voice (great legs, too), but it's the kind of voice that you could imagine being equally at home in a Broadway/West End musical as in the r&b/pop charts, and even though there may be points where those two idioms converge, they're not the same thing, even if some people think they are.

I'd be interested in what you thought of this guy, though. He's a friend of a friend, and he sang on my old band's new album. Salaam Remi did quite a bit of his album, and while I like his stuff, I do think the writing sometimes falls a little short of the mark, and the songs can seem a little half-finished.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    There hasnt been any Retro-Soul/"Contemporary" R&B overlap?

Where is Previn whomever?

Omar will probably come out in the next 3 years

Sisters who can sing - where are they.

Are there any ladies coming out of the Simon shows ala Jennifer Hudson.
    More Soul than Leona Lewis.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:

Damn... I remember when i first heard her in some youtube video, I was impressed. Looks like another decent voice gobbled up by tune-gleam and boring songwriting.

so funny that the song's all "forget about the money"

• uttersutters 321 Posts

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    I've heard this described as pop and post-dubstep (whatever that is), but i think it qualifies. It was stuck in my head for 2 days when I first heard it.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    jeah

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,901 Posts
    Louise Golbey?

Terri Walker?

Not UK... But I remember liking her stuff a while back. Asa from Paris. I remember the track she did awhile back
    BE MY MAN

This is something newer. Still liking.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Came in this thread to post Jamie Woon. The whole cross over dubstep/pop sound is definitely what's selling in the UK at the moment. There is still new slow dance r&b coming out though......

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,787 Posts
    batmon said:
    jeah

Is that a good 'jeah', or a meh 'jeah'?

I like the music, not sure about Woon's singing. It's nice I guess.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,904 Posts
    Dome records batted out a few Grown N' Sexay jernts last year. There's Incognito's "Transatlantic RPM"...

...and there was new product from Drizabone which had a few nice bits on it.

domerecords.co.uk

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    batmon said:
    jeah

Is that a good 'jeah', or a meh 'jeah'?

I like the music, not sure about Woon's singing. It's nice I guess.

As chance would have it there was a little feature with Woon in the Metro this morning and he listed Lewis Taylor as one of his influences. Considering the current popularity of guys like Frank Ocean and, even more on the Taylor tip, Weeknd, would seem like the perfect time for the blue eyed boy to make a comeback.