Mocambique what's good

rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
edited March 2011 in Strut Central
I just got to Maputo. Humid as a mug.

Peri Peri chicken on my plate; AK 47 on the flag.

What's good in this country? Any strutteur advice?

Comments

• I spent 2 months there although it was over 10 years ago. i have a lot of notes on the place but I'm currently in Brazil so cannot access them. I could have hooked you up with some really good people there.

We hired a car in South Africa and enlisted a local dude to help us get it across the border, ie; bribe the border officials. It's the car the theft capital of the world so the car rental companies don't not allow it. I'm not sure what the car rental situation is in Maputo but if you can do it, get a car or motorbike and a tent and drive north on pretty much the only paved road in the country. There are campsites all up the coast or you can drive your car onto a beach and camp there. Pay the local kids to unbog you as you go which happens often.

While your in Maputo you have to go to the fish markets for dinner. open air markets with a staggering range of just caught seafood. Cheap as fuck and one of the many bbq joints will cook it up for you. Like I said I don't have my notes so I don't know how to get there.

Don't scrimp on the little hustlers who you pay to watch your car while your there, or anywhere for that matter. These little dudes will make sure it's still there when you get back. Don't pay and they will be the dudes that have it stolen.

Try and stay with/get with some local people in Maputo or anywhere for that matter. The best bars/clubs/music spots can be in pretty dicey spots and it pays to go with a local.

Go Marlin fishing if you can get next to someone with a boat, we did this twice by hooking up with traveling South Africans who are mind bogglingly equipped.

Change your money at markets, it's illegal but the rate is always excellent. Be careful though, try and have someone watch your back. Also if you change money at any border crossings, say "mommas only" and only do so through a tiny slit in your window. Show them your cash through the window, but take there's first. Also watch for folded bills in your change.

Don't drive the road north at night, we have someone spray bullets at us while we were driving one night although they were to far away to be effective. We hooked up with an ex mercenary dude who said it was better to stay slightly drunk while driving at night so you can stay loose while getting shot at, haha.

i wish i had my notes, if I think of anything I'll post it up. It's one of the best countries I've been to.

Have fun.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Good advice.

I had a blast.

Thx.