"We're Not Shipping To Japan Right Now" Post Office Question

JahLarryJahLarry 62 Posts
edited March 2011 in Strut Central
Damn just got negged with a couple of packages going to Japan today. It was at a big Post Office too, the Cadman Plaza one in Brooklyn. Clerks gave me sort of a non-explanation, something to the effect of not wanting "to get packages returned, what with all the troubles over there". Anyone else have similar issues at their PO's?

Comments

• Did you ask if it was usps wide or just that branch?

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    That's concerning. I canceled at one order just after the quake in case things would get worse but recently the post offices I've been to here at least look like they're operating smoothly.

• Post offices here are massively overworked with people sending necessities to friends/family/organisations in the affected areas, as well as here in Tokyo. Having said that, I'm in the west of the capital and have had no problems receiving mail over the past few days, and stuff has been going out as normal.

• JahLarryJahLarry 62 Posts
    Thanks for the replies. The policy seemed to be specific to that branch.

I've got a lot to ship to Japan next week for my label so it looks like I'll just try to avoid that particular PO and hope there aren't other ones out there taking this capricious stance.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    The only thing I heard from my PO was that Express mail is down for the time being. They can't guarantee that packages will arrive within a certain time frame. They will arrive, though!

Also, my PO had a list of cities that were not accepting mail. Cross check before you send stuff out if it is to an unfamiliar city.

Packages going to Tokyo, the northwest, and anywhere south will be fine.

• I sent a pretty valuable record to Tokyo about a week ago without an issue. Reminds me that I should definitely follow up on that.

• JahLarryJahLarry 62 Posts
    Thanks Laserwolf, that explains it best. I suppose the ladies at my PO mistakenly applied the Global Express restriction to regular first class and Priority packages.