Cali Colombia digging?

DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
At my house last Thanksgiving I met a friend of mine's mom for the first time. She's a very cool woman in her 50's who is a music teacher in Cali, Colombia. She's very into music (obviously) and was impressed by my record collection (who isn't). She offered to find records for me and even said she'd get her music students to dig for me. I got excited but didn't really expect anything to come of it. Well last night I saw her again (she's here visiting her daughter) and she tells she has a "bunch of records" collected for me but that I really should come visit Cali. She says there are some places in her neighborhood with "tons" of old LP's that I should visit in person. I'm seriously thinking of going this winter.Anybody out there been digging in Cali or Cartagena (the other place in Colombia I really want to visit)? Any Colombian LP's I should be particularly aware of? Is Cali still dangerous? Gracias.

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Columbia is one of the most dangerous countries in the world. Gunfights in the streets and kidnappings are regular events down there hommie. Do your homework and if you go, always be with locals you know.

You can score these on the cheap if you don't find enough records......

• Are these 8-Tracks? And still sealed!

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Columbia is one of the most dangerous countries in the world. Gunfights in the streets and kidnappings are regular events down there hommie. Do your homework and if you go, always be with locals you know.

I realize that which is why I asked here. You never know if the hype is what's really happening on the ground. I've travelled in Venezuela and Brazil so I have some South American experience. Also I will be with locals, speak Spanish fluently and my caina days are behind me. I just want some discos.

I realize that which is why I asked here. You never know if the hype is what's really happening on the ground. I've travelled in Venezuela and Brazil so I have some South American experience. Also I will be with locals, speak Spanish fluently and my caina days are behind me. I just want some discos.

You sound like you should be cool there. Just be careful hommie. I've never been to Columbia, just read that it can get pretty hectic there.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    one of my old roommates is from bogota, and the freakiest hippie drummer i've ever known (dude wears seashell bracelets and shaker-eggs all over). when he was in high school some guerillas kidnapped his father with a $250,000 ransom. his girlfriend's parents shelled out the cashola, and they got his dad back, but he had the fuck beaten out of him. i think they even permanently blinded him by burning him with cigarettes or some shit. be careful man.

• I know a guy who spends a month in Colombia every year for family etc. The stuff he brings back is unbelievable. From what he tells me I understand he mainly works with ads. He brings back records from almost all (spanish speaking) South American countries which can be found in Colombia. Well, you know about the psychedelic records and beat/garage stuff... If I were you, I would go. Sounds like you have a good connection. Let them place ads before you go?

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    There's a terribly raer afro-funk 45 that only came out in Colombia who's name escapes me right now... it was on one of those Africa Funk comps.