Options

Square dancing!!!

edited March 2011 in Strut Central
Anybody got any experience with square dancing or Djing them?

What about being a "caller" ?

Do you all "call" at Dj dances, or are there Dj that are known for doing such a thing?

Comments

• Options
    I guess Dj Kool used, "let's make some noise" and "throw your hands in the air." ofcourse, rappers and hype men make their calls like "yeah," "come on, y'all," and "break it down now."

But, I always hear square dance callers say, "Promenade."

I thought it meant to strut, but; apparently it means to march as a couple counterclockwise in a circle.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts

• chasechase 767 Posts
    I have "callers" stay and have meetings at my hotel, most of them are old white guys, and some of them are old white women. I listened in one time, to a younger guy they flew in to speak at their meeting. I have to say, I was amazed at the level of planning that goes into "calling" a square dance dance. Some guys will plan the entire dance, while others will "freestyle" it, but if you are going to freestyle it you better be paying attention if you call the wrong doe cee doe followed by a switch your partner, you could have guys dancing with guys, which would obviously would turn everyone gay and ruin your reputation as a "official caller".

act like you know
    http://www.flcallersassoc.org/

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    GRAB YOUR PARTNER, AND DO THE ELDON D. LLOYD!

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    chase crusher said:
    others will "freestyle" it
    Callers generally spit dope rhymes and add the dance move on the end, like:

"Ace of Diamonds, Jack of Spades / Meet your partner & Promenade"

The 'dance call' in that sick ryhme was 'Promenade'.. the rest was all just fronting.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Mr_Lee_PHD said:
    chase crusher said:
    others will "freestyle" it
    spit dope rhymes.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    You need to take this to Gary's banjo forum.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    There was a guy who DJ'd a weekly square dancing party on the Wellfleet pier during the summer months - he only played 45s and called the dances while he spun 'em on an old fashioned 45 player/PA system.

He just retired last year after 30 years or so.

Ya'll missed out: