Brazilians covering Brazilians

DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
Ever noticed how much Brazilians love to cover other Brazilian artists? I must have dozens of versions of "Mas Que Nada" "Aguas de Marco" "Ponteio" etc. There seems to be no shame in a Brazilian artist filling up an entire LP with songs by different people (and with songs that were made popular by other people). I've always wondered why that is? Is it the carnival tradition? Is is a respect for other songwriters? An easy way to fill up an album? Jamaicans do a lot of covers as well but they don't tend to cover each other as much (I think) as the Brasileiros. Thoughts?

Comments

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    Ever noticed how much Brazilians love to cover other Brazilian artists? I must have dozens of versions of "Mas Que Nada" "Aguas de Marco" "Ponteio" etc. There seems to be no shame in a Brazilian artist filling up an entire LP with songs by different people (and with songs that were made popular by other people). I've always wondered why that is? Is it the carnival tradition? Is is a respect for other songwriters? An easy way to fill up an album? Jamaicans do a lot of covers as well but they don't tend to cover each other as much (I think) as the Brasileiros.

Thoughts?

All I know is that Emilio Santiago's cover of Bananeira is that hot shit!

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    well, ya gotta remember modern brazilian pop music is only 40-something years old...whereas modern pop music in the US is damn near 75 years old. The first 10 or 20 years of pop music in the US, classic/Standard songs everyone knew were what you recorded, so I am just assuming the Brazilians were doing the same...just a theory. Also, songs in brazil have a real regional pride associated with them...bahaian, cariocas...so maybe they were also representin', again just a theory that hasnt been well thought out.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Alot of the tropicalia artists did it out of respect. Alot of the post-trop artists did it to achieve instant mainstream appeal. Same reason so many funk artists covered the beatles.

- spidey

• true. speaking from my experience while i hung out in brasil a year back or so, i noticed that musicians starting out, started off with their instrument by playing other brasian songs or memorizing the entire catalogue of their favorite musician. then after they mastered the songs from their masters, thats when they start creating and working on their own songs.

my good friend that I visited from Nomadink took me out to a bunch of different local spots in curitiba to see bands play and each artists set was comprised of songs or anthems that everyone knew and loved; standards if you will. so basically, the musicians in time learn which songs make their fans happy or what songs would get people going, so that in itself could be a reason why a lot of brasilians cover other brasilian tracks. because they know it will be welcomed by the people purchasing the albums if they see a track covered from Jorge Ben, Luiz Bonfa, or Caetano and what have you.

peas.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Its not unlike the number of people who might cover something by Cole Porter or Irving Berlin in the United States; what they once might have called the "American Song Book."

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    I think all the reasons people presented are on point.
    Sometimes I see this just as a lack of creativity and an easy way of making some success/money.
    This is why I got bored with almost all the bossa nova stuff I used to listen to; artists/bands use to play the same 15/20 very known & successful songs.
    Obviously,there is the homage/respect to some artist aspect in making covers. Although, sometimes for me it seems like it??s only lazyness and fear of assuming the risk of creating something new, like the Tropicalia people did; they set up the 'foock of', mixed lots of music genres and created something new and fresh.

My 2 cents.

Peace

• Yeah, basically what they said but....the trick is to find that hot version out there to turn some heads, and there's always one out there. Like Astrud's "Take it easy my brother Charlie", funky, with arrangements by Deodato. She's kinda the queen of Brazilian standards, some of which are nice but are just another drop in the bucket of crap standards. You'd never expect this from her but there it is. Same with Sergio Mendes and his small handful of funky tracks in a sea of throwaway pop.

I used to do trades at a record store and I can't believe how much of that stuff we'd see (Brazilian standards played by everyone & their mother) in with Sinatra and Beatles records. It seems that folks here (the U.S.) were gobbling that stuff up for a while, so the Brazilian music scene responded with more covers of the sucessful tunes to feed the American demand for exotic sounds. Just like the American jazz scene covering "lover man" and other jazz standards. Just like the jazz stuff, you gotta wade through crap to find the jems. Not to say that these standards are crap, I love me some Mas Que Nada and will never get tired of hearing it, but I see the frustration of scoring another bossa record and not seeing any new tunes.

-sez me.

but I see the frustration of scoring another bossa record and not seeing any new tunes.

much rather get a bossa record seeing familiar tunes.

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts
    much rather get a bossa record seeing familiar tunes.

Yes.

I look forward to finding new covers of Ponteio, Mas Que Nada, Dindji, etc.

A great tune is a great tune & I dig hearing so many different takes on it.

• though, i gotta say if I don't hear girl from impanema for the rest of my life, i'll be alright. talk about one of the most played out songs evar.

ban.

I've also found that when you're collecting and you're getting ready to shell out $200 or even $600 on an LP from maybe an artist that never had another LP and you've never heard it, you can only rely on label, or song selection.

though, i gotta say if I don't hear girl from impanema for the rest of my life, i'll be alright. talk about one of the most played out songs evar.

Quite literally THE most played/covered song in the word actually.
    At least according to Ruy Castro's book.

Just came across a Cher cover.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    On the topic of Brazil, just copped your mix, Paul:

Was driving around the Power Kingdom running errands, and had this on blast the whole time. Great stuff, especially for people like me who's not overly knowledgable about the genre.

• I've also found that when you're collecting and you're getting ready to shell out $200 or even $600 on an LP from maybe an artist that never had another LP and you've never heard it, you can only rely on label, or song selection.

Man, you'd shell out $600 for an LP you've never heard? You must be a completist...

there isnt much left of the $24 LPs that I dont already have.

fewer and better.

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts

Was driving around the Power Kingdom running errands, and had this on blast the whole time. Great stuff, especially for people like me who's not overly knowledgable about the genre.

Where can I get a copy?

Where can I get a copy?

I was thinking of asking Raj if he'd be interested in hosting it here.

Just sent my last batch to distributors today.

As far as direct sales online, I know turntablelab carries it.

(and Raj, might I also suggest a new icon entitled "Plug 1, Plug 2"?)

• pknypkny 549 Posts

Where can I get a copy?

Copped mine from Turntable Lab.

Ayo Paul, got your PM...tried to reply, but looks like your PMs are off...

Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
    All better now.