Phil Collins Retires

JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
edited March 2011 in Strut Central
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/rockandpopmusic/8360584/Phil-Collins-calls-time-on-music-career.html
The 60-year-old star says he feels it is "a good time to stop" making music, adding: "I don't think anyone's going to miss me."

He has hearing problems, a dislocated vertebra and nerve damage in his hands, all brought on by a lifetime spent hunched behind a drum kit.

The songwriter also claims that listeners have grown "sick" of him and that there is no longer a place for him in the current music scene.

"I look at the MTV Music Awards and I think: 'I can't be in the same business as this'," Collins says in an interview with FHM magazine.

"I don't really belong to that world and I don't think anyone's going to miss me. I'm much happier just to write myself out of the script entirely.

"I'll go on a mysterious biking holiday and never return. That would be a great way to end the story, wouldn't it?" Collins, who lives alone in Switzerland after divorcing his third wife in 2007, has enjoyed huge popularity over 40 years as both a drummer and singer with the rock band Genesis and then as one of the biggest-earning solo artists of all time.

He claims that it was this success and the overplaying of his music which made people "want to strangle" him. "It's hardly surprising that people grew to hate me. I'm sorry that it was all so successful. I honestly didn't mean it to happen like that," he says.

Comments

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Personally I think he was an OK drummer but I wasn't feeling the songs, apart from maybe "Turn It On Again".

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    if he REALLY didn't wanna piss people off, then he should have never done this...

• jammy said:
    if he REALLY didn't wanna piss people off, then he should have never done this...

• I just got sick of it like everyone else. One of my least favorites was his 1982 remake of "You Can't Hurry Love". Last autumn, he released an entire CD of Motown covers, so I'm having a difficult time not being a dick about his decision to call it quits.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    This holds about as much water as Trent Reznor quitting Twitter. It's a cry for attention. If he wanted to retire, he could just do it and not tell anyone.

• CinisterCee said:
    Last autumn, he released an entire CD of Motown covers

Hmm, and it doesn't look like it performed so dismally but the last time he had an album was 2002 when album sales were much different. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Collins_discography#Studio_albums

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Against All Odds >>>>>>>>>>>> Anything.

Also responsible for one of the most clich??d and excellent freeze frame endings in cinema history.

Buster is an abomination though. Will need feedback from Skel whether the Paul Hardcastle soundtrack redeems it in anyway.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Elsewhere...

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

come on, this song rules

• Options
    The very definition of crap.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    fuck that. i love me some phil collins. thats a concert i could go to with my parents AND my girlfriend, and we'd all have a good time! that 80s solo/genesis stuff was a staple in our house when i was a kid.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    jaymack said:
    fuck that. i love me some phil collins.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    and somewhere in a nightclub in Liverpool, Steven Gerrard is crying into his beer.

• batmon said:
    jaymack said:

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    i just remembered this

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    i just remembered this

Possible NSFW

Side note: No hate for Collins here. Even when everyone felt it necessary to sing Billy don't you lose my number to me none stop.

• undocument said:
    batmon said:
    jaymack said:

• leonleon 883 Posts

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    undocument said:
    batmon said:
    jaymack said:

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    sweatshop said:
    crabmongerfunk said:
    undocument said:
    batmon said:
    jaymack said:
    i love that. fuck phil collins.

• Options
    sweatshop said:
    crabmongerfunk said:
    undocument said:
    batmon said:
    jaymack said:

Billy Joel, too.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    sweatshop said:
    crabmongerfunk said:
    undocument said:
    batmon said:
    jaymack said:

BobDesperado said:

I know I should be above troll baiting but I really don't understand why you post here.
    Would be wonderful if you could post some essential records we should all have in our collections for the past five decades so we can all learn where we're going wrong.

• Phil haters should check in their racks to make sure he isn't on one of their favourites (see also Mike Oldfield). He drums on 70s LPs by Brian Eno and Robert Calvert, among others.

• Options
    Junior said:
    BobDesperado said:

I know I should be above troll baiting but I really don't understand why you post here.
    Would be wonderful if you could post some essential records we should all have in our collections for the past five decades so we can all learn where we're going wrong.

I did that in the Soul Strut 100 thread. Page 4.

I don't understand why you post here, either, and I don't care. Do me the same favor.

And if not liking Phil Fucking Collins makes me a "troll," I think I have a lot of company. There may be an Everyone Loves Phil Fucking Collins Board somewhere but I'm sure it isn't this one.

There's probably a Never Was Heard A Discouraging Word Board somewhere, too, but again it isn't this one, and I'm not sure why anyone over the age of 3 would be interested.

It's music and not everyone likes everything and it's no big crime against humanity to say so.

Capisce?

• edith head said:

come on, this song rules

THIS.

• he should have probably retired a long time back... can't really hate too much though since his eighties stuff reminds me of being a kid.

here's one for the hipsters: "i'm not moving" (idjut boys edit)

Phil Collins- I'm not moving (idjut boys edit) from Ben Van Ackeren on Vimeo.

Double post - Mobile posting and flu related.

Triple post - Mobile posting and flu related.

BobDesperado said:
    Junior said:
    BobDesperado said:

I did that in the Soul Strut 100 thread. Page 4.

Oh sorry, I did see that but assumed it was just a list copied out of an old issue of Rolling Stone as foolishly expected someone with such strong opinions on what is crap to be able to bring something interesting to a list of recommendations. My bad.

I don't understand why you post here, either, and I don't care. Do me the same favor.

Undoubtedly the wisest thing you've ever contributed to the board and something I should take the lead on from many other posters on here. Sadly I do like visiting here and am unable to ignore the stale shit you bring to your posts plus the incredibly boring political rants on a record forum.
    I'm sure there are I Want To Have Obama's Babies forums out there but this is a music forum. Still, fuck it, continue jamming to Jimi while jerking off over offensive Tea Party adverts and we'll stay out of each other's way.