FASHION VS GRAFFITI

staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
edited March 2011 in Strut Central
Graffiti has always flirted with the gallery and fashion scene sinde the early 80's in NYC.
So whats this?
Free publicity for Agnes B? Paid For by Agnes B? Free publicity for Kidult? You tell me. Banksy-ism related

Comments

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    this is nuthin more then getting your name up quick fast in a hurry, its interesting that peeps got hip to putting paint in fire extinguishers and using them this way as most writers are all about getting their name up as fast as possible and in a lot of cases as big as possible and this seems like the logical step, but it seems like this is all this guy does, he targets this same business over and over again although when i first saw these pics which was a while back now, i was madly impressed at the balls it takes to do sumthin like this, but the more i looked into it the more unimpressed i was at the whole thing, from one writer to another, i cant knock him for what hes doin, but i just aint feeling it. to redundant for me...

i think if i saw this type of thing in the early 90's i woulda been all over it, but i find things like bombing less and less impressive the older i get, if he did a massive burner (on some Saber type mumbo-jumbo) then i would be blown away.

the video is a bit funny to me though, motorcycle/fire extinguisher/skull facemask/all dressed in black i dunno it comes off as a bit cheese to me imho and sumthin you would find at the Toronto Film Festival or sumthin, i think its funny that dudes like this and Banksy are all hell bent on being so anonymous when dudes like Revok/Rime and a shit load of other crazy "UP" writers could care less and are more then willing to go on video and show their faces.

i'll assume in the spirit of bombing this is what you would call next level? i call it fashion...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    what's the issue?

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    I like the fire extinguisher thing for the pure brutish bombing esthetic - first saw the pics of destroyed Parisian shopfronts and thougth it looked pretty raw - but i think it was all a marketing thing? Agnes B and other shops pay for this? and kidult is starting a fashion label and has artsy daft punk-esque videos. So - no illegal bombing but institutionalized marketing?
    still i like the imagery.

not like oclock who has destroyed paris wholesale and, like you mention other known bombeurs, cityboy, cares not for the mystique of anonymity

i definitely wouldnt doubt that there is some connection between the 2 and given the fact that he constantly targets this same business almost proves it, unless hes got a serious bone to pick with the company on some asshurt related issues (sometimes all it takes is to get screwed over once by a company, for things like this to happen)

the way the video was set up, plays out like a short film and comes off a bit to flashy and shit for this to not be planned out, never saw that o'clock video before, but mid day bombing takes balls, nuthin compared to running around at night with a facemask and fire extinguisher that covers huge areas in seconds.

i didnt know anything about a "fashion" label that he was tryna get going on, wouldnt be the first time someone paid money to have writers to their thing as a way of advertising. this latest video comes to mind...in the end you may be right this could be nuthin more then a huge joke, is Agnes B solely a clothing store? we dont have any here in my neck of the woods..

Coke Zero Graffiti from Ooops Agency on Vimeo.

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    European graffiti: enjoyable as Euro hip-hop?

Scott said:

Different steez.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Euro graff ain't dead.

Just sayin'.

• gallonegallone 10 Posts
    About this argument a friend of mine made these headphone for wesc ;-)
    He's one of my favourite writer

http://www.raemartini.com/

Here a mini gallery

as long as this guy can get his hands on paint, European graffiti isnt dying anytime soon

http://swetone.tumblr.com/

• cadeauxcadeaux 208 Posts
    Scott said:

without Euromen graffiti wouldn`t have made into the nineties and beyond.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    dj_cityboy is the struts liaison to the graffito world.

The-gaffler said:
    dj_cityboy is the struts liaison to the graffito world.

i think we can both safely agree thats highly doubtful...

deep in the backwoods of euro graff...

cadeaux said:
    Scott said:

I ride for Global Graff but thats bullshit.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    batmon said:
    cadeaux said:
    Scott said:

I ride for Global Graff but thats bullshit.

I disagree. At least when we speak of train writing in inner cities, Graffitti died in NYC in May 1989. Without cities like Berlin, Amsterdam, Dortmund, Munich or Rome things might have gone different. But of course on freights and streets, that's another story...

Mode 2 and Bandos painted their first Chrome Angels Pieces back in 85/86 so it was well before the 90's when graffiti dropped in europe...they were in a crew called Crime Time before that, if i remember it correctly...

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    dj_cityboy said:
    Mode 2 and Bandos painted their first Chrome Angels Pieces back in 85/86 so it was well before the 90's when graffiti dropped in europe...they were in a crew called Crime Time before that, if i remember it correctly...

Crime Time Kingz and yes, they were highly influential. But at the turn of the 80's, Europe became important concerning train writing. See above post. Now back to fashion!

sticky_dojah said:
    dj_cityboy said:

Crime Time Kingz and yes, they were highly influential. But at the turn of the 80's, Europe became important concerning train writing. See above post. Now back to fashion!

correct i was disagreeing with what was said here...

cadeaux said:

now back to fashion....

dj_cityboy said:

its Bando -

he went on to own soul fire records, a record label im sure youre familiar with

bando sketches from the early/mid 80's

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    Now that it's saved graffiti, can Europe rescue American hip-hop?

^^ Bando is sooooo the shit, man! damn, hard to see how much more advanced the graf was in europe compared to the US and Canada during that same time frame, and although there was tuns of dope writers in Europe they (Mode2/Bando/Zaki/Scribla and Pride) seemed to stand out the most, Goldie, Shoe and 3D were some other really notable writers as well..

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    dj_cityboy said:
    as long as this guy can get his hands on paint, European graffiti isnt dying anytime soon

I like. Where's this guy from?

HOLLAFAME said:
    dj_cityboy said:

I like. Where's this guy from?

i believe Swet is in Hamburg....you should see this if you like that stuff more of him on a crazy tangent

http://www.molotow.com/magazine/swetgoesred/

he is one of the most technical writers when it comes to use of the medium...

Scott said:
    Now that it's saved graffiti, can Europe rescue American hip-hop?

actually - the graffiti community has been quite internationally oriented since the late eighties and ninieties and beyond - theres a lot of international exchange and moving around - with guys travelling anywhere yards are accesible to writers - also old timers, like Seen who has a gallery in Paris and spends a lot of time there - quik moved to europe ages ago and loads of guys like mode2 are always traveling to and fro - that video i posted of bucharest has work from australian and dutch writers in it - vandalism themed holidays - guys like JA and MQ have been all over europe - it takes more than taking king in one city to achieve legendary status nowadays - you have to make an international impact

BNE is a prime example