SNOW IN SF!! Not Record Related

dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
edited February 2011 in Strut Central
Hasn't happened yet, but there's hints we might get a dusting of the white stuff, so I thought I'd preemptively post about it. Folks in more temperate climes will scoff mightily. Most places east of the Rockies get more snowfall in a single day than SF has gotten in the over 150 years that weather records have been taken in San Francisco. On the other hand, there hasn't been measurable snowfall at sea level in San Francisco since 1976 so people here are all agog. I remember '76 well, my older siblings got to go up to the top of Twin Peaks to frolic, leaving my four-year-old ass at home to simmer in resentment. They tried telling me that it was cold, nasty and windy up there but I know they had the experience of a lifetime (literally).

Comments

• yes! i'm super pumped for snow

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    In my experience, snow in CA in non-snow regions usually amounts to little more than heavy frost on my car in the morning. It's usually not enough to stick, but the novelty makes the experience fun, I suppose.

• Supposedly those of us up here in Portland, OR are supposed to get 2-3" of snow, which is a lot for Oregon (we mostly get cold rain in Winter). I know the folks in the Mid-West and Northeast would laugh at this, but if it happens it will shut down most of the city for a day here.

I hope you guys get some snow down there, its fun for a day.

Weeeeeeeeee.

• yeah, this is going to be a snow storm like the article said.
    it hasn't snowed in SF since 1976.

• wow I would stay off the roads. West Coast folls do NOT know how to drive in the snow

I seem to remember it snowing in the Berkeley hills back when I was a young youth.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    wow I would stay off the roads. West Coast folls do NOT know how to drive in the snow

Considering how much mayhem a little rain causes, snow would be a carmageddon on the local byways.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    wow I would stay off the roads. West Coast folls do NOT know how to drive in the snow

I seem to remember it snowing in the Berkeley hills back when I was a young youth.

Funny, considering a few weeks ago you were complaining that no one could drive in NYC because of the snow. And NYC is FLAT.

• dollar_bin said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

Considering how much mayhem a little rain causes, snow would be a carmageddon on the local byways.

so true

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Snowing in Seattle now. We ain't used to this type of weather!!!!!! LOL

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    We were supposed to get snow at 4pm, then they said 7pm.
    Just got back from walking the dog at 8:15 still no snow.

Worse snow storm evha!

• I would love to snow skate down those frisco hills, haha!

• Welp, our weather folks finally got something right, its snowing in Portland and folks will loose their minds. How you SF folks doing?

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Saracenus said:
    Welp, our weather folks finally got something right, its snowing in Portland and folks will loose their minds. How you SF folks doing?

Nothing yet, but light sprinkles right now. I actually wonder how much snow will actually stick to the ground. I'll believe it when I see it...

...and if it does. Who want's to go sledding on Flibert Street?! Lombard will probably be packed.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Mt Hamilton near San Jose got like 14 inches. Tomorrow could be the real deal.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    jjfad027 said:
    Mt Hamilton near San Jose got like 14 inches. Tomorrow could be the real deal.

14 inches?! That is crazy!

(pasue!)

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    elise said:
    Saracenus said:
    Welp, our weather folks finally got something right, its snowing in Portland and folks will loose their minds. How you SF folks doing?

Nothing yet, but light sprinkles right now. I actually wonder how much snow will actually stick to the ground. I'll believe it when I see it...

Little to none, but it'll still freak people the fuck out.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    elise said:
    Saracenus said:

Little to none, but it'll still freak people the fuck out.

I am worried about the Muni drivers, ifyouknowwhaddaimsayin.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts