Democracy in Africa and Beyond?

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited February 2011 in Strut Central
Old timers will remember that Vitamin used to make the argument that a democratic Iraq (via US invasion) would lead Iraq's neighbors, the Arab world, The Middle East, North Africa, to embrace democracy.

These last few weeks we have seen Egypt, Yemen, Libya, Bahrain and other nations calling for democracy.

What effect, if any, do people think the US invasion of Iraq has on pro-democracy demonstrators?

BTW: Last I checked Vitamin was reporting from Russia.
A shame because he used to live in Egypt, traveled extensively around the area, and his perspective would have been interesting.

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I am going to try my very best to stay out of this.
    Work is nuts right now, so no time and any thread that cites Vitamin is not a thread for me.

I still would like to say two things that have been going through my mind a fair amount for the past couple of years or so:

Is democracy so great?

That democracy is not going to look the same thing or mean the same thing country to country.

Yep, so. Pretty obvious statements, right? But not at all givens.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    bassie said:
    any thread that cites Vitmain is not a thread for me.

LOL, I just deleted a WTF response before I read this

Peace!

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Democracy ? what happened in Egypt was a miltary coup by way of a completely desperate people ousting their dictator - the muslim brotherhood are islamic fundamentalists and very bad news. these 'revolutions' seem to be desperate revolts that will lead to new corrupt regimes. I dont see any real democracies coming out of any of this. The opposition groups are desperate rag tag bunches- they have strength in numbers and momentum that wil evaporate and that is probably it. Most likely scenario: some other assorted douchebags will step into the power vacuums now left in Tunis, Egypt and soon Libya.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I thought the Wikileaks revelations (and high unemployment) is what set it off.

Reynaldo said:
    I thought the Wikileaks revelations (and high unemployment) is what set it off.

it seems a lot of people through wikileaks finally saw how the rest of the world (US diplomats) saw their leadership - in countries where the state completely controls all media that was a real eye opener - that and popular revolt organised through social networks combined into the beginning of what happened in Tunis. That , and people setting themselves on fire in front of state buildings out of sheer desperation is apparently mainly what sparked the outrage and uprising in Tunis, which snowballed across the region. it has fuck-all to do with the US invasion of Iraq.

• Options
    This is a question of causation. Just because event B happens after event A doesn't mean event A caused event B. And so on.

If observers in these countries were so impressed by Iraq then you might expect them to beg for US-led invasions. I didn't notice that happening.

Other questions could be asked, such as:

Is it possible "regime change" could have happened in Iraq without an invasion that cost a million lives?

Or:

Wasn't there a popular revolution in Iran 30+ years ago? What prompted that?

And I wouldn't throw the word "democracy" around just yet. I have no idea what's going to end up happening in any of these countries and I don't think anyone else does, either. Including Iraq, which is a muddled plutocracy/theocracy as much as anything else.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    FUCK FUCK FUCK

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    The US exporting inflation and causing food prices to skyrocket worldwide = cause.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I agree, rising food prices coupled with declining incomes and government services is a leading contributor to current unrest.

• Brian said:
    The US exporting inflation and causing food prices to skyrocket worldwide = cause.

I guess the recent massive crop failures around the world had nothing to do with the prices going up.

• Options
    The Bill Maher theory about all those millions of young men who can't afford to get laid is involved somehow.

And all that entails. (Not to leave the women out.)

Of course Maher used that theory to explain the available supply of suicide bombers and so forth. Maybe this unrest is the flip side.

As if the us invasion of iraq has been some kind of freedom inspiring event for the region...

smh

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    Brian said:

I guess the recent massive crop failures around the world had nothing to do with the prices going up.
    I guess China and India having to feed 1 billion people apiece has nothing to do with prices going up.

• Options
    staxwax said:
    As if the us invasion of iraq has been some kind of freedom inspiring event for the region...

smh

Right, because that's how the world works. Just look at Vietnam and Cambodia.

BobDesperado said:
    staxwax said:

smh

the domino theory is back!

• Options
    staxwax said:
    BobDesperado said:
    staxwax said:

smh

the domino theory is back!

Such a cool name it would suck to get rid of it.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    It's too early to talk of democratic revolutions but make no mistake about it - that's what the people want and that's what they've been demanding. People shouldn't underestimate it. Food prices have helped create the conditions but it doesn't explain why so many Tunisians, Lybians, Bahranians and Egyptians have been prepared to put themselves in the firing line and sometimes die in the process. They're hungry but not famine stricken. Nor does religion explain this. The rebelling men and women have seen what happened in Iran and Afghanistan and they reject it outright. These arab populations are some of the youngest in the world. They're networked up, modern in outlook and fed up to the back teeth of 30-40 years of corrupt money siphoning dictatorship. This is the real thing - don't over complicate it - grass roots democratic uprisings that should be supported and welcomed by everyone and anyone anywhere in the world that gives a damn about human rights. Amen.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    staxwax said:

smh

clearly... but it's all neocons and tea partyists need to cite as proof their agenda was a success. those doofballs would buy it too.

I really hope folks are supplementing the things they read in this thread with some context, history and facts.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    bassie said:

Is democracy so great? .

you know a better alternative?

bassie said:

That democracy is not going to look the same thing or mean the same thing country to country.
    true but the differences are dwarfed by the basic similarities

wikileaks and julian assange (who certain conservatives in the US have labeled a 'terist' - and was it palin that called for his execution/assasination?) ironically, probably had more to do with inspiring recent events in the region than the us' illegal invasion of Iraq -

Im wondering, will this magical democracy you mention come with fox news as well? goodie goodie.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    plz send staxwax 2 iraq

tabira said:
    bassie said:

Is democracy so great? .

I can think of some, yes. Do I know for sure? No, hence, two years of thinking about it on and off.
    It took some a lifetime to grapple with what you seem to have figured out so effortlessly.

tabira said:
    bassie said:

What are these "basic similarities"?

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    bassie said:
    tabira said:
    bassie said:

Is democracy so great? .

I can think of some, yes. Do I know for sure? No, hence, two years of thinking about it on and off.
    care to share an example, albeit tentatively?

bassie said:
    It took some a lifetime to grapple with what you seem to have figured out so effortlessly.
    You certainly didn't grapple for a lifetime before figuring out so effortlessly in your thinly veiled assumption that I haven't given the subject matter as much soul-searching deliberation and cogitation over the years as you yourself have. ..all that for asking if you knew of a better alternative! Jeeeezus

bassie said:
    tabira said:
    bassie said:

being able to vote governments in and vote governments out by universal suffrage, separation of church, judiciary and the executive, ensuring institutional checks and balances in the legislature, dual chambers etc.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Democracy may not be the best system for all countries.

In the USA we don't vote governments in or out. Our government is always the same. Sometimes the executive branch is run by a democrat sometimes a republican, same for each of the houses of Congress. But the government never changes.

Many democracies do not have separation of church and state.

For a country like Iraq, with many different cultural groups, a strong central government (like Saddam's) may be better. Or at least more practical. One result of democracy in Iraq is the killing and forced removal and the marginalization of minorities.
    From Wiki:The end of Saddam???s rule in 2003 truly opened the floodgates to the creation of completely homogenous areas made up of Sunnis, Shiites or Kurds. The Assyrian (aka Chaldo-Assyrian), Yezidi, Mandean, Shabak, Armenian, Roma and Turcoman minorities, were singled out for attacks by Arab Iraqi Islamic insurgents and terrorists (both Shia and Sunni) and to some degree by Kurdish nationalists.

It is easy to argue that Saddam was not good for some of these groups. He was not a nice guy. But his authoritarian style was well suited for holding a diverse country like Iraq together. Something that democracy has failed to do.

Citizens of Vatican City seem happy to be living under a monarchy with no separation of church and state.

• LaserWolf said:
    Democracy may not be the best system for all countries.

In the USA we don't vote governments in or out. Our government is always the same. Sometimes the executive branch is run by a democrat sometimes a republican, same for each of the houses of Congress. But the government never changes.

Many democracies do not have separation of church and state.

For a country like Iraq, with many different cultural groups, a strong central government (like Saddam's) may be better. Or at least more practical. One result of democracy in Iraq is the killing and forced removal and the marginalization of minorities.
    From Wiki:The end of Saddam???s rule in 2003 truly opened the floodgates to the creation of completely homogenous areas made up of Sunnis, Shiites or Kurds. The Assyrian (aka Chaldo-Assyrian), Yezidi, Mandean, Shabak, Armenian, Roma and Turcoman minorities, were singled out for attacks by Arab Iraqi Islamic insurgents and terrorists (both Shia and Sunni) and to some degree by Kurdish nationalists.

It is easy to argue that Saddam was not good for some of these groups. He was not a nice guy. But his authoritarian style was well suited for holding a diverse country like Iraq together. Something that democracy has failed to do.

Citizens of Vatican City seem happy to be living under a monarchy with no separation of church and state.

On point.

• I think being ruled by a beneficent, wise dictator would be ideal.

It's hard to find a dictator with those qualities, though.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    I think being ruled by a beneficent, wise dictator would be ideal.

It's hard to find a dictator with those qualities, though.

That much power would turn mit romney into rick james.... look a gadaffi... kim jong il.

• I don't think Iraq lead the way toward "Democratic Revolutions". Iraq (and Afghanistan) were pivotal moments in Middle Eastern politics as a regional looking-glass. Much to discuss, but simply put What we see now is in a way, a declaration of that self reflection. The building of decades of tension involving introspection, corruption, authoritarian rule, murder, wars, hopeless futures, garbage in the streets, terrorism, false leadership, upsetting or ill-influence on markets...I'm mean fuck... at some point shit is gonna fly! Western countries can only be blamed so much before folks realize they're being played by their own leaders...all of whom have ruled for decades with no or limited improvements. These leaders have little concern for most of their citizens...if they did, we wouldn't be witnessing these historical events. Terrorism, it's far more prevalent in the Middle East than anywhere else....if anyone is fed up, it's Middle Easterns.

The Iraq/Afghanistan wars were not isolated agendas for the Neo-Cons. Bush, Rumsfeld, Cheney...all talked about Democracy in the Middle East. A long term, broad reaching influence had to be implemented. Mainly by supporting reformation groups in their respective countries. This is an Middle Eastern uprising...make no mistake of that. BUT, I can't doubt the influence of the US, International countries, and Saudi, Kuwait, UAE, Quatar (supported Iraq war behind closed doors) . I'm sure Obama has green-lighted some non-violent influence.

These monumental uprising...I'm completely in awe. it's unprecedented as far as I know. Serious History is being written. As nervous and concerned as I am, I'm really really excited for the Middle East!

Food prices are the least of the issues...but ballooning rapidly. Not just "over there", but everywhere. I'm restricting what I'm buy on every level...inflation is a turd.

The Theocratic control of most if not all Middle Eastern countries will never allow a true Democracy...it's pick and choose. Until there is separation of church and state... it'll be more of the same. LaserWolf has a point, Democracy isn't for everyone. I believe in Democracy, but is Democracy really the best system to lead a nation? An Islamic nation? True Democracy in the Middle East will take generations.

I love them "cult of personality" eccentric Dictators. Dying breed they are. Living under them, no love.

novasol said:
    LaserWolf has a point, Democracy isn't for everyone. I believe in Democracy, but is Democracy really the best system to lead a nation? An Islamic nation?

How about a Christian nation like the US?
    Islam and democracy are not mutually exclusive. (yes, I know you are not saying that...or maybe you are?)
    The US, what some may describe as a true democracy, has effectively prevented many nations, Islamic and otherwise, from realizing the wish of the people because it did not serve its interests. Iran is one example.

novasol said:
    True Democracy in the Middle East will take generations.

Not just there.

tabira said:

bassie said:
    You certainly didn't grapple for a lifetime before figuring out so effortlessly in your thinly veiled assumption that I haven't given the subject matter as much soul-searching deliberation and cogitation over the years as you yourself have.
    A lifetime would hardly be necessary for that.

bassie said:
    tabira said:
    bassie said:
    tabira said:

being able to vote governments in and vote governments out by universal suffrage, separation of church, judiciary and the executive, ensuring institutional checks and balances in the legislature, dual chambers etc.

I don't agree with this list.

And you may not agree with mine. In its most stripped down definition, I would describe it as majority rule, elects chosen by the general public.
    My problem with it is what happens to the interests of the few when the many/the powerful/the elite/the most educated and savvy get final say?

It gets too messy. All ideologies do, right? Great in theory, a holy mess once humans get their hands on it.