Above The Law appresh

staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
edited February 2011 in Strut Central
When they first dropped 'Living Like Hustlers' in 89 there was no doubt this was one of the top tier west coast acts of the day. Dre did a lot of (all of ?) the production and the record is still a straight classic in my book. Pretty much a flawless west coast rap joint for the ages.

The later stuff weirded me out a little at the time. I copped 'Black Mafia Life' blindly on the strength of their first album and it took a lot of getting used to - strange and dark production - album grew on me and its a unique sound that i find myself returning to ocasionally now.

The later releases felt a lot less special at the time and it seems they then faded from memory pretty quickly - but im rediscovering a lot of them of late. Especially Unkle Sams Curse has some gems - you have to be in the 'blunted sunny g'd out' mindstate but god damn some of those tracks really hit the spot in retrospect. - the later shit is not easy to find on vinyl - but im dropping these tracks side by side with a some of that 80's boogie and dam funk type ish to maximum effect and loving it.

Anyone else on here riding for these cats?- what are your mid nineties and beyond A.T.L. faves?

Comments

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    I ride.

I had the same experience with "Black Mafia Life" back then but haven't touched that album in more then ten years. Perhaps I'll give it another try.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I used to try and throw in some ATL tracks like Endonesia while going thru a West Coast set, and most cats were just lost here in NYC. And all of their videos/singles got played on BET. They werent shunned.

The first album is 9.0 status for me.

I87um is a good MC but not great, and that sometimes gets me bored.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts

• I really like the second one!

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    Thier debut is a classic for sure.

:hard_as_fuck:

Ive also got 'Vocally pimping' filled.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    The first three lps and the Untouchable remix 12".

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    My favorite ATL video. MTV refused to play this........

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    Big_Chan said:
    My favorite ATL video. MTV refused to play this........

The played it the week it was released, and then they banned it if I remember correctly.

• love above the law. i was lucky enough to see them at hollywood live back in 1990. there were only ten or so people in the crowd but they still rocked it. i still play untouchable remix nearly every time i spin.

peace, stein. . .

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    I see the 3rd lp is not going for cheap neither - out of print west coast classic related?

$262 ?

???130 ?

also liking this off the same record

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    This can double up in the What Records are on the Decks Right Now thread, too.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Livin' Like Hustlers is one of my favorite albums in "the whole world wide."