Options

Bricks & Mortar

edited February 2011 in Strut Central
I need your help.

What are the benefits of having a physical store?

Comments

• As compared to...?

b/w

Gotta do something for a living.

• Over time I've realized that this is one of those "if you have to ask..." questions.

Ultimately it comes down to whether or not you want to own a record shop.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    slapping a price tag on a record vs listing it on ebay, I know which I prefer. And also sometimes random girls walk in. How likely is that gonna happen in your cavern of discos?

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Over time I've realized that this is one of those "if you have to ask..." questions.

^ parties

• Options
    Does having a store help local musicians with their careers?

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    soulone said:

You want to strive for a symbiotic relationship man

• soulone said:

It could, but that wouldn't be a good reason to open one.

Having a store is too much of a commitment for me to be in a serious band at the same time. If I was still playing in bands I would prefer to work in one rather than own it, unless you live somewhere where rent is dirt cheap and you can afford to just scrape by, only be open sporadically etc .

• soulone said:

collections walking in the door

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    TOP TEN BENEFITS OF OWNING A BRICK AND MORTAR RECORD STORE

10) You can hire people that are otherwise unemployable

9) You get to hear the phrase "Do people still buy these" at least once a day

8) There's no Vacuum Cleaner Store Day or Overpriced Bodega Day

7) If you catch someone stealing, Paypal will not protect them

6) Cleaning the Restroom

5) You get to tell an old woman that her Enrico Caruso 78 is not worth $100K

4) Homeless people LOVE music

3) Your records have to be cheaper than Ebay but not cheap enough to be flipped on Ebay

2) Dealing with autistic record collectors with Asperger's Syndrome is much more fun in person

1) COIN OPERATED LISTENING BOOTHS!!!!!!!

• Options
    ^^^ oh, so you are saying there is a community element in them?

• it more or less comes down to whether you have some solid stock to support a store...location also helps!

rockadelic nailed it with his 10 point check...ha

• Options
    herbacios tweed said:
    soulone said:

collections walking in the door

Yeah, and then you can look at and listen to the records in person.

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

• Options
    fejmelba said:
    Rockadelic said:

Good point. I've seen security guards working at stores in San Francisco, such as Amoeba.

Thanks

• Roc, as a collector of collector/refurbisher of coin-op I am fascinated with the idea of coin op listening. Please tell me you actually have this and what the mechanism looks like!

4YearGraduate said:
    Roc, as a collector of collector/refurbisher of coin-op I am fascinated with the idea of coin op listening. Please tell me you actually have this and what the mechanism looks like!

Nah....was just trying to be humorous.....considering how I have seen folks sit at listening booths for hours and never buy anything the coin operated idea seems like the best way for a Record Store to make $$$ in 2011.

This past weekend I drove out to a town called Throckmorton, Tx. and saw an old guy who had about 25 juke boxes.....mostly AMI's from the 60's and 70's....really plain machines that I refer to as "Pizza Joint" style....cheapest one was $1,500 which I thought was outrageous.

2x

• That is expensive considering how roughened are on 45's.

Coin-op listening station would be rad, itadefinately possible. Time runs out and throws a relay that breaks the connection between the turntable RCA cable and the headphone amp.

• That is expensive considering how rough they are on 45's.

Coin-op listening station would be rad, itadefinately possible. Time runs out and throws a relay that breaks the connection between the turntable RCA cable and the headphone amp.

• Options
    I don't think so. Just have the store worker play the record over the speakers.

Coin operated, or jukeboxes, are sometimes rough on the records and that would burn up a lot of cash to get going, cash that could be used to buy records.