The Big Chill

DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
edited February 2011 in Strut Central
Massive piece of shit? I think so. Has there ever been a generation that thought themselves more unique and important than the baby boomers? The whole movie wis just a bunch of thirty-somethings who grew up in the sixties and are now dealing with being an adult in the early eighties.

OH NO???LIFE IS TOUGH!

IT'S CRAZY???WE'RE GETTING OLDER AND HAVE TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THINGS. WHATEVER WILL WE DO?

YOU KNOW WHAT WOULD HELP THIS SHITTY POINTLESS SCENE OUT? BLASTING MOTOWN'S GREATEST HITS ON 11.

Seriously, though. If any of you dudes ride, please point out the error of my ways. I'd love to know what makes this movie not suck.

Comments

• DB_Cooper said:

YOU KNOW WHAT WOULD HELP THIS SHITTY POINTLESS SCENE OUT? BLASTING MOTOWN'S GREATEST HITS ON 11.

never saw the movie, never even saw the point in seeing the movie. But the soundtrack was played alot on road trips by my folks. As a white kid growing up in the great white north that was my first exposure to R+B/Soul music and it was some subversive sh*t to an 8 yr old Canuck who's radio dial was scrambled by Cancon

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    White Folks

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    batmon said:
    White Folks

I may have never felt as white as I did last night when T***???with The Big Chill on pause in the background???was telling me how her mom had a celebrity crush on Kevin Klein back in the day. Kevin Klein and Eric Clapton. I almost spontaneously shat a mayo sandwich on Wonder Bread.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    GREAT soundtrack. It was a wedding staple in the crates for a long time.

RAJ said:
    GREAT soundtrack. It was a wedding staple in the crates for a long time.

Well, it should be???the whole thing is Motown and assorted sixties smash hits. And the whole movie is shittyboringsceneAINTTOOROUDTOBEGSUPERLOUDshittyboringscenesmokingpotMYGIRLSUPERLOUDshittyboringscenewithangstGOODLOVINSUPERLOUDWHILEEVERYONEDANCESAROUNDTHEDININGROOMTABLEshittyboringscene....

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Dude actually kisses the record cover. Not sure why the Strut can't satnd behind that...lol.

I think that flick/scene helped Motown despite the overall steez.

If you were to remake the Big Chill, what Soul/R&B record would have the same effect on 30 something yuppies in 2011.

Mary J Blige?

batmon said:
    If you were to remake the Big Chill, what Soul/R&B record would have the same effect on 30 something yuppies in 2011.

Mary J Blige?

It would basically have to be 15 years old and something that was huge with the high school set at the time. So...high school in 1995....I was jamming Cypress Hill. No idea on 1995 soul/R&B. But I bet they'd go with Smashing Pumpkins or some "alternative" ish anyway.

THE WORLD IS A VAMPIRE

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    john legend - ordinary people.

also never saw the movie....young person-related

• batmon said:

Mary J Blige?

Robin Thicke, Jennifer Hudson and Chicago-era Latifah.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Never saw it.
    It was a studio remake of the indy hit Return Or The Secaucus Seven.
    Saw it when it was out, liked it, but never enough to want to see other movies in the same vein.

"Dude actually kisses the record cover. Not sure why the Strut can't satnd behind that...lol."
    Because it's the hits collection, not the original.

Like Animal House and the Commitments, it made hits of oldies that were already in my collection.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    batmon said:

Mary J Blige?

"THE WACKNESS?" ;)

DB_Cooper said:
    batmon said:

Mary J Blige?

It would basically have to be 15 years old and something that was huge with the high school set at the time. So...high school in 1995....I was jamming Cypress Hill. No idea on 1995 soul/R&B. But I bet they'd go with Smashing Pumpkins or some "alternative" ish anyway.

No doubt Hip Hop would be on the menu, but '95 R&B..............................

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    this place never ceases to amaze.

Woimsah said:

You were the one who voted that you want to have Kevin Klein's baby. I know it, and I'm posting it for posterior.

Also, I know I've been misspelling Kevin Klein's name. Know why? Fuck him???that's why. >:(

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I ride.

One of the greatest opening sequences ever. Great dialogue and acting. The music is great and was what people of that generation were listening to in the day. No harm, no foul. The direction of the movie is superb as well. Lots of interesting choices like using video camera interviews that were groundbreaking at the time. I think it's hard for a lot of us who didn't come of age in the most tumultuous era in American history since the civil war to relate to the kinds of questions that generation was asking itself as it started to get square. Whatever. But I don't see how you can hate on the film making or acting or music though.

DB_Cooper said:
    Woimsah said:

You were the one who voted that you want to have Kevin Klein's baby. I know it, and I'm posting it for posterior.

Also, I know I've been misspelling Kevin Klein's name. Know why? Fuck him???that's why. >:(

I'm not hiding it. Kevin Kline is ill. Maybe not baby having ill, but def ill.

Always loved this movie -- not at all surprised to see it being dismissed here.

Fun fact: corpse of their friend whose face you never see is that of none other than Kevin Costner.

DrWu said:
    But I don't see how you can hate on the film making or acting or music though.

I'll hate on the ingrained image of Jeff Goldblum dancing around the dining room table as long as I live. Not sure which bucket you want to put that in, though.

Oh and Meg Tilly??? SO fly.

• The Big Chill reminds me of Diner
    (aka: The Only Good Parts are the Ones with Records!)

TheKindCromang said:

so you're writing off both Diner and The Big Chill entirely as films, saying that the only good part of each film is that which incorporates vinyl?

At the end of this thread, instead of resolving anything, we're all going to tell RAJ that we took a secret vote and we're not leaving. We're never leaving. Then we'll all laugh as Joy to the World plays and I have a rage-induced stroke.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I sat in the back of the theater and thought "Yeah, fuck me and my generation, we suck"

Then a few years later River's Edge came out and my entire life was vindicated.

• Woimsah said:
    TheKindCromang said:

so you're writing off both Diner and The Big Chill entirely as films, saying that the only good part of each film is that which incorporates vinyl?

That's exactly what I'm saying

I think my ultimate problem with the movie is that it's billed as "important." That's it's supposed to be a "touchstone." That's its some sort of meditation on important universal themes.

Then you watch it, and nothing much happens. Somebody killed himself. His college friends reunite and think about why he did it and what it means to them. They smoke pot. They bang. Everyone realizes it's not the end of the world.

In real life, that's called SHIT THAT HAPPENS EVERY DAY TO MILLIONS OF PEOPLE. It's NOT unique. It's NOT special. The Big Chill was only considered important because the boomers thought that the mundane day-to-day travails of their lives that the movie reflects???which have happened to billions upon billions of people before them and will happen again to billions upon billions more???take on some deeper significance when they happen to them. More significant, more important than the countless other times other people have dealt with the same problems, because the boomers thought that THEY were more significant and important than those other people. THAT is what pisses me off.

TheKindCromang said:
    Woimsah said:
    TheKindCromang said:

That's exactly what I'm saying

I'm curious, then -- what films do you love as much as those who love said titles above?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Damn, DB is on St. Elmo's Fire over this flick.

• So how do you feel about Garden State?

Garcia_Vega said:
    So how do you feel about Garden State?

It was pretty pointless and meh, but I don't think anyone's calling it "important" or whatever, so I don't really care. Zach Braff should stick to Scrubs.