Holiday Inn Record Label

DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
Trolling through eBAy today and came across a record on Holiday Inn that sold in the $50 range. Remembered that I had a Holiday Inn 45, dug it up and was intrigued to see if there was anything else on the label. Couldn't find an internet discography or anything on the history of the label. ANyone know anything about the label? I found all these on GEMM. Of course Craig Moerer has all the $100 rockabilly/soul zingers. The label lists a Memphis address. Were these all Memphis artists? So far all i can see is that there was a 100 series and 2200 series. Shingaling, are you up on this mess?

BRINKLEY,LARRY GUITAR PICKIN’ D.J. / EVERY TU 7" VG $15.00 BUY Info...

DYKE JERRY THINGS 7" EX $30.36 BUY Info... (2)

FEATHERS,CHARLIE NOBODY'S DARLING / DEEP ELM BL 45RPM M- $100.00 BUY

Info...
FULLER,JOE BIG BLACK ENGINE/I'LL E FOREVE 45RPM M- $15.40 BUY Info...

HOLIDAY,DOLLY NIGHTIME LP SS $40.00 BUY Info...

NIGHTTIME LP VG+ $35.00 BUY Info...

IRONING BOARD SAM RAINING IN MY HEART 45RPM M- $25.00 BUY Info...

LARRY AND ACCOMMODATIONS I WANNA HOLD YOU 45RPM M- $135.00 BUY Info...

LOAD OF MISCHIEF I'M A LOVER 7":SINGLE M $52.08 BUY Info...

I'M A LOVER / BACK IN MY ARMS 45RPM M- $65.99 BUY Info...

LUND,KENNY RIP IT UP POTATO CHIP/GREENBAC 45RPM VG+ $4.60 BUY Info...

MOORE,SAM RAINING IN MY HEART-WHEN YOU B 45RPM M $9.20 BUY Info...

ROLLER COASTERS RIMSHOT PART # L / RIMSHOT POR 45RPM VG $4.40 BUY Info...

RIMSHOT PT 1 / RIMSHOT PT 2 7" VG++ $8.80 BUY Info...

WARBASH BLUES / SLAP-BACK 45RPM VG+ $11.00 BUY Info...

WILD TWIST / SPANISH TWIST 7" VG+ $19.00 BUY Info...

TODD AND JACKS,GREG SIMPLE THOUGHT 45RPM VG $10.00 BUY Info...

Comments

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Coming soon, The LIVING AT SIN compilation series @ Dusty Groove.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I've never heard of Holliday Inn Records, but I have theroy.

When Sam Phillips sold Elvis' contract to RCA for 1 million, he turned around and invested his money into a new hotel chain that had the idea of placing their hotels on Interstate Exits. Sun did ok in the following years, but his investment in Holliday Inn Hotels paid off real big. I'm guessing it is Sam Phillips behind the Holliday Inn Records.

So, any breaks?

Dan

• [quote. Shingaling, are you up on this mess?

LARRY AND ACCOMMODATIONS I WANNA HOLD YOU 45RPM M- $135.00 BUY Info...

LOAD OF MISCHIEF I'M A LOVER 7":SINGLE M $52.08 BUY Info...

I'M A LOVER / BACK IN MY ARMS 45RPM M- $65.99 BUY Info...

ROLLER COASTERS RIMSHOT PART # L / RIMSHOT POR 45RPM VG $4.40 BUY Info...

RIMSHOT PT 1 / RIMSHOT PT 2 7" VG++ $8.80 BUY Info...

TODD AND JACKS,GREG SIMPLE THOUGHT 45RPM VG $10.00 BUY Info...
    AND THE CLIMATES

These are the ones I've come across. Don't even really know the whole story behind the label. It was a label early on and I'm not sure who started it or who was running it at that time. But, when Sam Phillips sold SUN to Shelby Singleton, Phillips and Kemmons Wilson restarted the label in 68. The Load Of Mischief was one of the last bands to release a single on the OG Sun label. Since it was put out towards the end of the label it wasn't promoted well, so Phillips and Kemmons re-released it on the new Holiday Inn label. Making the L.O.M. single on Sun one of the most collectable garage 45's on the label. It's definitley a Memphis label but not all Memphis artists. Everything from blues,r&b,funk,soul,country,garage,gospel, and lil' combo instros. were recorded for the label. All the LPs I've come across have been total shit. I still don't own even one piece of gospel on this label.

"LARRY AND ACCOMMODATIONS I WANNA HOLD YOU 45RPM M- $135.00 BUY Info... "
    If your wondering what's up with this and why it sold for more than the rest...
    I wouldn't call it funk, maybe proto-funk if that, but it is the illest record I've heard on the label. It was sampled but I couldn't tell you who by. It's a Beatles cover and it's one of the best I've ever come across.

When you find these records just drop ol' Shing a PM and let him know how much you want him to have them.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    [quote. Shingaling, are you up on this mess?

When you find these records just drop ol' Shing a PM and let him know how much you want him to have them. /

Dan is........

Shing..All's I got is the doodoo roller coasters record. I thought so little of it that I have been using it to protect other 45s from getting scratched in my old metal 45 box. I think I have passed on several of these since..

• [quote. Shingaling, are you up on this mess?

When you find these records just drop ol' Shing a PM and let him know how much you want him to have them. /

Dan is........

Shing..All's I got is the doodoo roller coasters record. I thought so little of it that I have been using it to protect other 45s from getting scratched in my old metal 45 box. I think I have passed on several of these since..

Next time...scoope them up. But, yeah...that's the best use of the Roller Coasters I ever heard of.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    i've had several copies of a bad cover of "Lady Madonna" on HI
    I think there is one other title that's in demand, will check my lists