Basic(?) belt-driven turntable question

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited February 2011 in Strut Central
My Sound Burger/Mister Disc has been running slow on playing 7"s. I discovered (thanks Google!) that there are two speed pots on the bottom of the player (the deep screws on the bottom, towards the back) that allow for adjustment but even maxed out, the 7"s are still playing slow and it seems too...warped?

I'm not used to belt-drive turntables so I'm wondering if the problems this is having could be fixed through replacing the belt? Or am I looking at something more complicated? Thanks.

Comments

• I would definitely try it as a first/easiest/cheapest fix.

If this doesn't work then it's probably the motor, which would be a drag.

You might also try cleaning all of the pulley surfaces with alcohol to see if that helps.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    yeah, it's more than likely the belt. As they stretch, there's not enough friction between the motor and the belt and the platter and belt, slippage results in slow or fluttering play. When putting on a new belt, cleaning is always a good suggestion, but I've also had luck lightly going over any (metal) surface that the belt touches (so typically, motor drive shaft, platter and any idling pulleys) with some steel wool or light grit emery cloth to scuff up the surfaces, ensuring traction.